Cyberpunk 2077

Wardy

I know it's par for the course now with fandom, particularly on subreddits where it's basically just thousands of people agreeing with you, but I've never understood why people think this game is particularly revolutionary.  And worse than that, the bits that CDPR got very, very right with the Witcher were just incredibly lacking.  Story especially, as the writing is probably solid at best, and at its worst points, it's cringeworthy.  

It's like CDPR have got the best architect around in to build a truly ground-breaking and impressive-looking house.  You stand on the driveway and think it looks amazing, and are left wondering that if it looks that way on the outside, how amazing will it be inside?  Then you go through the door, and every room is a complete waste of the shell they're sitting in.  And some of them have shite on the walls.  Night City looks absolutely incredible, but there's just so little you actually get to do with all that.  I might go back to it once they release the big DLC they're planning, as CDPR at least seem to know how to do a meaty DLC, but while I've gone back to plenty of other games for multiple playthroughs, I've no interest in this one.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I know it's par for the course now with fandom, particularly on subreddits where it's basically just thousands of people agreeing with you, but I've never understood why people think this game is particularly revolutionary.  And worse than that, the bits that CDPR got very, very right with the Witcher were just incredibly lacking.  Story especially, as the writing is probably solid at best, and at its worst points, it's cringeworthy.  

It's like CDPR have got the best architect around in to build a truly ground-breaking and impressive-looking house.  You stand on the driveway and think it looks amazing, and are left wondering that if it looks that way on the outside, how amazing will it be inside?  Then you go through the door, and every room is a complete waste of the shell they're sitting in.  And some of them have shite on the walls.  Night City looks absolutely incredible, but there's just so little you actually get to do with all that.  I might go back to it once they release the big DLC they're planning, as CDPR at least seem to know how to do a meaty DLC, but while I've gone back to plenty of other games for multiple playthroughs, I've no interest in this one.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It's a nicer-looking Bethesda game from fifteen years ago, with some polished gameplay mechanics and less to do. Everything's surface level, and they'd have done much better by making a smaller world that they could fill with content.

Best thing they could do with a sequel is to re-use the old world as much as possible and spend the resources on making it interesting.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

If it hadn't been promoted as the greatest thing since slice bread, people's expectations would have been kept in check and you might look at this as a decent game. 

I didn't know much about it before buying - it just feels so very empty. It's more of a city simulator than an actual game.

It worked for me just as a mindless easy-going game to sink some time into. I got bored any time it tried to become more than that, and eventually I did get tired of it overall. Served a purpose, will never play again. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 06:41, SweeperDee said:

I just run around doing side quests using the sandvista modification and f**k people up. Haven’t even met up again with Takenaka yet. Story seems dogwater. 

Yeah, it's definitely one of those games where you spend your time fannying about with side quests rather than pursuing the main storyline, although it needed more variety (or, more honestly, the game world was too big).

Still a better main story than Skyrim or Fallout 4, as I was interested to see CP2077 through to the end and find out how things with Keanu possessing your body would be resolved. I sank a lot of time into the other two games without going very far through the story at all (I didn't even choose a side in Skyrim, and Fallout 4 made your infant child's kidnap seem so trivial that I ignored it completely. I assume it all worked out OK).

11 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

for those interested.

Ooh, Idris Elba. Fancy.

I'll be interested when I upgrade my PC...so maybe in a few years!

It's really heartening to see that pretty much no-one learned their lesson with regards to CDPR and Cyberpunk.  DLC gets announced and the hype machine goes into overdrive, just a few years after they royally shat the bed in similar circumstances. They do have a really good history with DLC for games (the two main ones for Witcher 3 were near faultless) but given how different things were once they were creating their own property, rather than adapting the book, I wouldn't have any faith in them not having at least a few issues come release.

Having said that, we'll see.  I played through the game and thought it was alright, albeit a massive missed opportunity.  If this ends up not being a complete dumpster fire, I'll probably give it another shot.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, grazza said:

See if I have original disc version for xbox can I buy the phantom liberty update digitally and be able to work it that way?

Yeah, as long as you have a series x or s that should work fine. Don't think Phantom Liberty is compatible with the older consoles.

The game can be updated to the latest patch on series x/s whether you have phantom liberty or not. The expansion obviously  just lets you access the new area and questlines as you'd expect