Jump to content
Wardy

Cyberpunk 2077

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

So basically a re-hash of the Witcher 3 fighting side quest?

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but that's the same quest as in The Witcher 1, so I'm guessing there's a random bare-knuckle championship in The Witcher 2 as well  :lol:

I've just reached the final boxing match, which involves nanosecond-perfect dodging and punching literally hundreds of times to wear down your opponent, who can put you down in two hits, if you've stocked up on consumables and maxed out your Body stat beforehand. I guess the point is to emphasise your Rocky-like underdog status, but it's not fun at all, and incredibly tedious when you've been at it for ten minutes only to make a single timing error and lose. Even if you're the Cyberpunk bare knuckle masta, it must be boring as f**k to fight through.

Thankfully there seems to be a way to cheese the fight, so you can bet your ass that I'll be doing it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched an excellent video about the Cyberpunk fiasco. I try not to watch preview stuff for games/movies that I'm interested in playing/seeing as I've found it more enjoyable to come to them with few expectations and, wow, it's just as well that I walked in to Cyberpunk fairly blind. I'd no idea exactly how much was explicitly promised over the years, even demonstrated to be included and working in many cases, that just isn't there in the final release.

It's very obvious that they did a lot of scaling back as they built the game, to the point that they're obviously never going to produce anything close to what was advertised. I don't know if it's even going to be possible for them to fix the majority of the remaining bugs considering they're supposed to be working on DLC and the online component all year, and it would surely take years of extra development time to include everything that CDPR talked about publicly. The final game is so bare-bones by comparison that it's not even funny. At some point, someone has clearly pulled the plug and said, "finish what's working, ditch the rest, we're shipping by Christmas 2020 by hell or high water". And it's very sad, considering that they've abused their workforce for the past year to bring out a pale imitation of what they seem to have wanted to make.

Also, I see CDPR have thrown their QA department under the bus in their latest communique, claiming that the game testers didn't tell them how poor the PS4/XBone versions of the game were. I presume this must have been more of an attempt to pacify shareholders than people who bought the game, as nobody familiar with the product could possibly believe that any QA team wouldn't see the general state of the game their bosses planned to release and question their sanity. However many of the proposed legal actions make it to court, CDPR deserve to be held accountable.

Don't pre-order anything, kids. Apart from Bloodlines 2, of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any sign of Ciri in it? I know it was mentioned that they might throw in a sighting of her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Any sign of Ciri in it? I know it was mentioned that they might throw in a sighting of her.

A really minor easter egg near the start, and only for one of the three paths.
 

Spoiler

 

If you chose corpo you can see this in your desk drawer. So it's more of a Witcher 3 reference than just a Ciri one

Cyberpunk2077cirieaster.jpg.0a6ea5f8be023cd4faacc83a20be6140.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Any sign of Ciri in it? I know it was mentioned that they might throw in a sighting of her.

GLaDOS pops up. And by pops up, I mean that they re-used a load of Portal voice files for one character.

Yes, one of them is about cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

GLaDOS pops up. And by pops up, I mean that they re-used a load of Portal voice files for one character.

Yes, one of them is about cake.

I quite enjoyed that side quest. One of the better ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I quite enjoyed that side quest. One of the better ones.

Yeah, it's more interesting than "go here and shoot everyone". Just a shame that there's a bug during it that ruins any future phone calls.

I think maybe there's some kind of box that creates a duplicate of a character when they're on a call with you - I know it doesn't teleport the game world character, as I once finished a mission right in front of a fixer, and they called me while I was talking to them in person, so there were two of them. I think Delamain doesn't get scrubbed from the phone call room at some point, so he's always there, looming over the person you're calling. Pretty amusing.

Apparently it sometimes takes away the ability to answer calls too, which isn't quite so funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BFTD said:

Yeah, it's more interesting than "go here and shoot everyone". Just a shame that there's a bug during it that ruins any future phone calls.

I think maybe there's some kind of box that creates a duplicate of a character when they're on a call with you - I know it doesn't teleport the game world character, as I once finished a mission right in front of a fixer, and they called me while I was talking to them in person, so there were two of them. I think Delamain doesn't get scrubbed from the phone call room at some point, so he's always there, looming over the person you're calling. Pretty amusing.

Apparently it sometimes takes away the ability to answer calls too, which isn't quite so funny.

I've done that mission in 2 playthroughs and didn't have any issues during or after. Sounds weird anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I've done that mission in 2 playthroughs and didn't have any issues during or after. Sounds weird anyway.

There's an example at roughly 3:40 in this video. Just imagine that, but for every phone call you receive for the rest of the game  :lol:

Although this guy seems to have managed to get a call from everyone in the game at once!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooft aye that would do my tits in! Thankfully have avoided that particular bug.

The biggest one I had was during the racing missions, I kept bugging out and even though I was always winning, the game kept telling me I was off track and dropping down places when I wasn't. I mentioned it earlier, I tried it several times including just dropping back to 2nd and following the lead car to the finish and it always bugged out at the same point. I reloaded it the next day and it worked fine.

It is a farce how shoddy the game ended up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Ooft aye that would do my tits in! Thankfully have avoided that particular bug.

The biggest one I had was during the racing missions, I kept bugging out and even though I was always winning, the game kept telling me I was off track and dropping down places when I wasn't. I mentioned it earlier, I tried it several times including just dropping back to 2nd and following the lead car to the finish and it always bugged out at the same point. I reloaded it the next day and it worked fine.

It is a farce how shoddy the game ended up.

The driving parts in general are hilarious if you don't stick to the script. You can't be killed in the early rails missions when you're supposed to be shooting other cars. Just go and get a cuppa, and wait 'til Jackie arrives at the destination. The races are rubberbanded so badly that I crashed towards the end of one and got wedged between some rocks and a barrier. Took me a couple of minutes to slowly extricate myself, only to discover the other cars waiting for me a few hundred yards away  :lol:

The most annoying part of the races, however, is that they include an on-road indication of your route, and it works brilliantly. Any other time you're in a vehicle, however, you have to rely on a wee automap that's so far zoomed in that you constantly miss turn-offs if you're going too fast. It's a futuristic cyberpunk game - why would you include an AR route overlay, a perfectly reasonable addition, then not allow the player to use it for virtually the whole game?  :1eye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BFTD said:

The driving parts in general are hilarious if you don't stick to the script. You can't be killed in the early rails missions when you're supposed to be shooting other cars. Just go and get a cuppa, and wait 'til Jackie arrives at the destination. The races are rubberbanded so badly that I crashed towards the end of one and got wedged between some rocks and a barrier. Took me a couple of minutes to slowly extricate myself, only to discover the other cars waiting for me a few hundred yards away  :lol:

The most annoying part of the races, however, is that they include an on-road indication of your route, and it works brilliantly. Any other time you're in a vehicle, however, you have to rely on a wee automap that's so far zoomed in that you constantly miss turn-offs if you're going too fast. It's a futuristic cyberpunk game - why would you include an AR route overlay, a perfectly reasonable addition, then not allow the player to use it for virtually the whole game?  :1eye

Aye driving is a nightmare. Most of the cars already feel like you're on ice road truckers. As for the rubber banding, it's not even that. If you check the minimap when you're driving, the cars behind you are actually constantly despawn/respawning throughout the race while you're not looking 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Big updates out today for bug fixes. 17gb for consoles and about 100 for PC.

Aye, I was up late and it kicked in during the wee small hours. People had already worked out that the actual new data in the massive download amounted to around 2 to 5GB.

Took a brief glimpse at the changelog. They seem to be doing a cracking job of tackling the fire on the roof while the exposed reactor churns away merrily  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I was up late and it kicked in during the wee small hours. People had already worked out that the actual new data in the massive download amounted to around 2 to 5GB.

Took a brief glimpse at the changelog. They seem to be doing a cracking job of tackling the fire on the roof while the exposed reactor churns away merrily  :lol:

Aye, huge patch - full of really minor bugfixes. They are absolutely hopeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Aye, huge patch - full of really minor bugfixes. They are absolutely hopeless.

There seem to be a disturbing number of folk who've convinced themselves that CDPR are working on putting out fires at the moment, but will get cracking on improving the game once it's stable for everyone and they've finished the obviously-temporary animations and scripting that were left in.

There's been nothing in their communications and attitude that would lead you to believe they've got any plans other than fixing it up until people stop complaining, then rolling out the DLC to keep the game in the news until the multiplayer comes out, which will be their main focus as the microtransactions will be their cash cow for the next few years. Anything beyond that will be left to the modding community.

It's not hard to imagine a future where these games are released as a bare-bones engine with assets and a rough plot, with everything else left to amateurs to add over time. "Well, we never actually promised that you'd be able to drive the cars outside of cut scenes..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There seem to be a disturbing number of folk who've convinced themselves that CDPR are working on putting out fires at the moment, but will get cracking on improving the game once it's stable for everyone and they've finished the obviously-temporary animations and scripting that were left in.

There's been nothing in their communications and attitude that would lead you to believe they've got any plans other than fixing it up until people stop complaining, then rolling out the DLC to keep the game in the news until the multiplayer comes out, which will be their main focus as the microtransactions will be their cash cow for the next few years. Anything beyond that will be left to the modding community.

It's not hard to imagine a future where these games are released as a bare-bones engine with assets and a rough plot, with everything else left to amateurs to add over time. "Well, we never actually promised that you'd be able to drive the cars outside of cut scenes..."

Baldurs Gate 3 - pay £50 for an actual alpha demo. Hope the studio use the money to actually finish the game.

There are some poor precedents being set in modern gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Baldurs Gate 3 - pay £50 for an actual alpha demo. Hope the studio use the money to actually finish the game.

There are some poor precedents being set in modern gaming.

My knowledge of Baldur's Gate 3 amounts to knowing that it's being made, I'm afraid. Will have to look that up.

If it's a Kickstarter or Early Access-style situation, I guess the argument will always be that if the developers don't ask for money up front from the buyers, the game won't be made, but I'm not convinced that most people are aware that they really are taking an absolute punt on getting anything back for their money at all. I've put money into a few of these things myself, some of which have been massively delayed and there's always a shrill chorus who appear to be delighted with the idea that the game will never be finished. All of the developers I've invested in have posted regular progress updates and have either completed their game - one of which didn't turn out to be as good an idea as everyone originally thought - or are still working towards releasing a final product (one for about five years now). Unless it's an obvious scam, you have to assume you're investing in the people, with the game being a lovely cherry on the top, because there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll ever get it.

The Baldur's Gate series sold millions of copies, so that does feel a bit like EA announcing that they'll start work on a new Mass Effect game if ten million people give them $60 before they start. But they might not finish, and they can't guarantee that, even if they do, they won't sack it off to concentrate on FIFA before rushing out something they put together from scratch in eighteen months. Again. But then, that's what everyone already does with the pre-ordering, so...maybe it's not so far-fetched. You can guarantee they've looked at it as a model for future developments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started playing this again after a break, just at the start of act 2. On ps4 but haven't had anything game breaking yet, couple of minor bugs. 

The inventory system seems quite clunky compared to TW3 and crafting seems similarly redundant with the "do Mission - > loot weapons /armour from enemies - > sell surplus ones - > buy better from vendor" cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's me finally done. Not massively impressed with the ending I got and, having looked at the other possible endings, I think I was hoping for the possibility for something a bit more radical to happen. But it's not bad - nothing like Mass Effect 3 levels of awfulness - I just didn't feel that the results matched up terribly well with what my character had been doing.

Spoiler

I'd been getting on pretty well with Keanu, and we'd started to like each other, so when he was adamant that the best option was for him to take over and have another pop at Arasaka, I went with it. That was fine, until we got to the point where V finds out she'll only have six months to live if she stays in her body, as her brain's already been sculpted too far towards hosting Johnny's consciousness. V wants Johnny to take over and I figure Johnny would probably take the option to get eaten by Alt and let V have her remaining time. Only V goes apeshit at Johnny and acts as though she's never liked him, but doesn't want the guilt of his sacrifice - maybe she's just trying to get him to change his mind, but it wasn't a very pleasant parting, and felt like it was meant for a playthrough with a more antagonistic relationship between the two.

Anyway, we fast forward a few months, and V's been neglecting her relationship with Judy to continue as a merc, and has a big unspecified job planned, resulting in V IN SPAAAACE! Only Judy's had enough of the city and...V just lets her go. Apparently this is based entirely on whether you allow Johnny to take on Arasaka, or if you do it yourself with Panam and her nomad army. If you choose the latter, V isn't such a dick and chooses to spend her remaining time with her woman. Just a very odd consequence of that choice, and dissonant with how I'd been playing the character up to that point.

Overall, a good game, worth the money I paid for it, and definitely worth buying at 50% off, which I hear it's already available for in some places. If you only tend to play through these games once, give it a year or so as, despite not personally finding many gamebreaking bugs, it's absolutely chock full of "will this do?" moments where scripting and presentation are completely unpolished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...