Cyberpunk 2077

Wardy

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Is it a bit Deus-Ex? I loved and played through that countless times. 

A bit, but with less freedom (as I understand it - I could never get into the original Deus Ex).

It reminded me a fair bit of VtM:Bloodlines when I was playing, but not as immersive. I gave Deus Ex: Human Revolution a go after finishing Cyberpunk, and I was just constantly reminded of how much Cyberpunk had improved the game mechanics in that kind of game.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A bit, but with less freedom (as I understand it - I could never get into the original Deus Ex).

It reminded me a fair bit of VtM:Bloodlines when I was playing, but not as immersive. I gave Deus Ex: Human Revolution a go after finishing Cyberpunk, and I was just constantly reminded of how much Cyberpunk had improved the game mechanics in that kind of game.

The sequel Deus Ex games improved on the mechanics a lot, but didn't touch the quality of story. 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

The sequel Deus Ex games improved on the mechanics a lot, but didn't touch the quality of story. 

The main Cyberpunk story is a bit meh, but passable.

You can see how they got carried away with having Keanu involved. It's also very odd how you go from being rightly terrified of him to treating him like an annoying tag-along by the next time he appears; the perils of jigging the story around, and the inevitable inconsistency of an open world.

Thats pretty much where I am with it. Its enjoyable enough but I dont feel any real pull to play it like I have with other games

Aye right early days. You can check the exact time in the Character/Stats part in the menu FWIW. Play up until Keanu comes into play. If you're still not feeling it an hour or so after that I'd chuck it.

I completed this last week on the PS5, and I actually ended up really liking it. One thing I would say is that you can really batter through the main story very quickly if you want, it kind of funnels you towards that, but you should really do all the side missions before you complete that. Some of the side mission storylines I thought were better than the main one, especially the nomads one and the ones with Johnny's old bandmates.

The open world is a bit of a sham though. There is honestly no point in exploring that I could find, it's just a big, empty movie set for the big set pieces. All you need to do is go from mission marker to mission marker. 

I completed this last week on the PS5, and I actually ended up really liking it. One thing I would say is that you can really batter through the main story very quickly if you want, it kind of funnels you towards that, but you should really do all the side missions before you complete that. Some of the side mission storylines I thought were better than the main one, especially the nomads one and the ones with Johnny's old bandmates.
The open world is a bit of a sham though. There is honestly no point in exploring that I could find, it's just a big, empty movie set for the big set pieces. All you need to do is go from mission marker to mission marker. 

I haven't met his band mates yet. I'm almost 20 hours in. I'm enjoying it enough to be getting on with a lot of the side missions. I really do enjoy the shooting side of the game and some of the weapons are brilliant; the damage a sniper does is fantastic.

Have found my first few 'moderate' glitches though. There was the final Delamain mission where you had to reset him and there were drones everywhere. They were completely non responsive to me so it was a case of walking through the place unchallenged.

The cyberpsychos have been decent value at times but on more than one occasion it glitches and you just stand and shoot them. One guy blew me away the first time so when I went back I ran to get cover but he got stuck unable to shoot me and I just picked him off.

It feels like a decent game but it was always going to be slated because it's really nowhere near as good as the hype behind it unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Got it yesterday after needing something new to get into. Was either this or Metal Gear 5.

Wish I hadn't. A big, empty world and despite being only a couple of hours in ( not yet met Keanu) it feels like an "almost" good game. 

The combat feels shit too.

If it's any consolation, you can probably say similar about MGS5 too.  I liked both of them, but both are really missing that extra step to push them up to being great.  Cyberpunk because CDPR absolutely shat the bed, and MGS because Konami fell out with Kojima.  

Would say though, you're in the loooooooong cold open now by the sounds of it.  It does get a bit better once you get out of that and into the larger open world.  Can still feel empty at times, but the upgrades you can get at least add some variety to the combat and make it a bit less bullet-spongy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well goddam that was quick. 

Spoiler

I went the corpo route and ended up topping myself. Some pretty emotional little cut scenes there. 

Lots of replay value if you enjoy the world setting, but for me I'm not sure I want to go back into it. Despite there being quite a lot to do, it still felt weak and empty. 

So, when does this get good? I hadn't played it for a while but went back to it the other night. Still feels a bit of a chore, like I'm learning all this hacking and shit that I know I'm never going to use. I just did something bit where I was watching someone memory, scanning it and stuff 

Eta - oh, and the tiny text on the inventory and stuff is seriously doing my head in

Edited by Homer Thompson

16 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

So, when does this get good? I hadn't played it for a while but went back to it the other night. Still feels a bit of a chore, like I'm learning all this hacking and shit that I know I'm never going to use. I just did something bit where I was watching someone memory, scanning it and stuff 

Eta - oh, and the tiny text on the inventory and stuff is seriously doing my head in

I'm really surprised you don't like a CDPR property... :P

You make good points though.  I can definitely see this being an acquired taste, particularly as it's basically a reskin of the Witcher in a number of places.  They only eventually got the inventory system right in W3 after a couple of years of updates, and the Cyberpunk one is similarly poor.  I know you end up picking up thousands of things, but when you're faced with a screen of hundreds of individual but very similar looking items, and then try to find the right one, it's pretty painful.

There's some good wee ideas in the game (that memory thing is a braindance, and was a good addition) but they're few and far between in a wide but shallow world.  Your one saving grace I guess is that the game is considerably shorter than W3, and the main storyline is probably one you can race to to "complete" the game and move on.

16 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

If you're not interested in the hacking and all that shit, give it up now.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I'm really surprised you don't like a CDPR property... :P

You make good points though.  I can definitely see this being an acquired taste, particularly as it's basically a reskin of the Witcher in a number of places.  They only eventually got the inventory system right in W3 after a couple of years of updates, and the Cyberpunk one is similarly poor.  I know you end up picking up thousands of things, but when you're faced with a screen of hundreds of individual but very similar looking items, and then try to find the right one, it's pretty painful.

There's some good wee ideas in the game (that memory thing is a braindance, and was a good addition) but they're few and far between in a wide but shallow world.  Your one saving grace I guess is that the game is considerably shorter than W3, and the main storyline is probably one you can race to to "complete" the game and move on.

Ha! For the record, I like witcher 3. I have reasons for not going back to finish it but they're nothing to do with the game. 

57 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If you're not interested in the hacking and all that shit, give it up now.

Noted. Back to RDR2 it is then 

I played through the game twice, once with a full hacker build, which ended up trivialising the entire game because you just point and click everything and never have to fight, and 2nd time round with mantis blades which was more fun but whatever I'd already done everything I wanted to do and quickly got bored doing it again.

• 9 months later...
On 30/03/2023 at 22:07, djchapsticks said:

I dunno man - I'm trying with this, I really am. The mechanics of the game are OK I suppose. The story is just not in any way gripping though. 

It's definitely a game where, if you're not feeling it by the time you get, say, ten hours in, you're probably as well to move on to something else.

My son (who likes to watch me play games, rather than playing them himself) has been nagging me to go through this again, so I installed it last week and spent a couple of hours with it. I lost interest almost immediately. I think I'll want to play it again at some point after they've released all the DLC & patches, but not until I've got a newer PC as the FPS on my current machine is just low enough to piss me off.

It was amusing/sad to read through the added DLC and see it amounted to some skins and weapons that will be no different to the rest of them. CDPR fucked this up so very, very badly.