Cyberpunk 2077

Wardy

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

CDPR pulling an Anthem on this would be deeply funny. At least Bioware looked like they were being held at gunpoint in that situation this was CDPR’s golden goose. I don’t know if a faithful Witcher 4 that caters to the fans even buys enough goodwill back.

Yeah, that was EA's decision., as was making the game in the first place. There's something deeply tragic about those interviews with BioWare staff where they pretend that, after a career spent trying to make deep RPG experiences for the PC market, it's great that they've had the shackles thrown off to make the game they've always dreamed about - a soulless live service console looter shooter. Like when a wayward teenage football sensation rocks up to a press conference at the arse end of their career and tiredly gives it, "it's always been my dream to play for"...*checks notes*..."Greenock Morton".

CDPR's main responsibility is to the shareholders now, and cutting this loose to spend all their resources on a new Witcher game would see their share price jump back. It seems like a simple decision when you think about it in those terms. They also know that it wouldn't affect the sales of The Witcher 4 at all, as apparently we're all goldfish who remember nothing. Just look at EA; the sales of Dragon Age 4 won't be harmed in the slightest by the shit they've been pulling with BioWare for years. The only hope left for Cyberpunk is that CDPR decide to tell the shareholders to GTF because they have artistic integrity, which...doesn't seem realistic.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, it's entirely playable. Judging by the playthrough I started about a month ago, it's still riddled with bugs, however. I don't remember ever coming across anything that would stop your progress, just massive amount of graphical and physics glitches.

I think I've abandoned my second playthrough. It's very apparent that the differences between the Nomad/Street Kid/Corpo branches are virtually non-existent, and the game doesn't feel much different if you use different combat styles or hacks. Maybe in a few years after I've forgotten the plot.

Can’t believe I’ve had to wait until July to start playing this again, but to be honest I haven’t even played much PlayStation within that time. But patch 1.23 seems to have totally changed the game from when I first booted it up last year. No crashes so far and I’m on Act 2 now. Only the off texture issue, and still things pop up out of nowhere  sometimes.

I just started again with the NOMAD life path. I did that one before too, but I had issues with stuff like stick drift and the obvious crashes and bugs first time out that I didn’t enjoy it. I’m sure I got to the heist last time out but kept dying near the end so glad I patched it. This time round I was way more prepared having done a few side quests, especially the NCPD calls to get decent weapons and armour, money etc.

Talking of money, the money duplicate glitch at the click and collect machines is outrageous. Basically generate 20k out of it every time, buy back what you sold to it, (I’ve got earrings that are 750) then glitch the swap screen again selling all the items back to the machine. That completely empties it in terms of cash. Then skip 24 hours and do it again. I’ve got like over 400k so I can just splash it all on cyberware and cyberdecks at any time. 😂 

Picked up some rare/iconic weapons and stuff already. I loot absolutely everything as well, from ashtrays to fag packets. If it’s there I’ll loot it. Usually just dissemble then all anyway to use for ammo. Same with the guns. Trying to just keep one of each gun and upgrade by dissembling the duplicates I pick up. 

Quite like the idea of having the rocket launcher with the toxic darts to basically down enemies with one shot. I was looking online to see how to get the Mantis blades, but it looks like they’ve been removed from the location after 1.23. 🥲 not to worry though as I’ll probably just buy them anyway with all that cash. 😂

Great fun tho. Yeah the city is what you would call a bit empty now but would rather have that, than it being overcrowded and basically crashing every hour or so. 🤷‍♂️

Wanted to try and romance Judy, but seems you have to be female to do that. So might have to create a female character in another play through. 

• 6 months later...

I may give it another go.  Did about 20 hours on it at release, but it was a million miles away from where it should've been.  If there's been improvements, worth another shot.

Is sad to see the absolute hero worship coming though on reddit.  Talk of redemption, rather than acknowledging that while it's a good thing, it's about the least they could do. 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Downloaded the ps5 trial version, the game does look good tbh, but so far ive done nothing much, i know im not far into it but does it become immersive? 

I liked it, after the initial disappointment that it's just another empty open world that feels like a robotic simulation. The ludicrous jankiness of the initial release helped to fill in the missing entertainment TBH, as it was hilarious. They obviously didn't have the time or resources to properly populate an area that large; it would've been much more immersive if they'd carved the city up into smaller areas that could've been filled out better.

But, the story areas are fun, and some of the side quests are well done too. Unfortunately, most of them are variations on the same theme of sneaking/shooting your way in and stealing something, but what else could they be when the writers have to create literally hundreds of them?

Edit: I really appreciated the mechanics. I've been playing a bit of Deus Ex: Human Revolution lately, which is a game that feels very similar, but Cyberpunk is a lot more polished and has spoiled Deus Ex for me a little bit. It's still not as good as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, however, and that was janky as f**k.

Edited by BFTD

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

But, the story areas are fun, and some of the side quests are well done too. Unfortunately, most of them are variations on the same theme of sneaking/shooting your way in and stealing something, but what else could they be when the writers have to create literally hundreds of them?

That was the most disappointing part for me though.  CDPR did that so well with the Witcher 3.  I know they had absolutely hunners of material that they could draw from with the books, and that Cyberpunk was effectively their first attempt at doing it for themselves, but the difference was stark at times.  I remember one of my favourite side quests in Witcher 3 was one where it ended up that you were doing something for a guy whose wife had Dementia, and he was being so difficult because he too was old, and was trying to bring back the glory days of their relationship and get her back.  One of the most bittersweet quests I've ever experienced in a game.  Cyberpunk on the other hand, had one where, from memory, they had a guy who was suicidal and ultimately did it.  It was done in such a sledgehammer way, with none of the heart or subtlety you got with W3.  

Didn't get massively far in the game though, so maybe on another playthrough I'll find ones on that level.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

That was the most disappointing part for me though.  CDPR did that so well with the Witcher 3.  I know they had absolutely hunners of material that they could draw from with the books, and that Cyberpunk was effectively their first attempt at doing it for themselves, but the difference was stark at times.  I remember one of my favourite side quests in Witcher 3 was one where it ended up that you were doing something for a guy whose wife had Dementia, and he was being so difficult because he too was old, and was trying to bring back the glory days of their relationship and get her back.  One of the most bittersweet quests I've ever experienced in a game.  Cyberpunk on the other hand, had one where, from memory, they had a guy who was suicidal and ultimately did it.  It was done in such a sledgehammer way, with none of the heart or subtlety you got with W3.  

Didn't get massively far in the game though, so maybe on another playthrough I'll find ones on that level.

I still haven't played Witcher 3, as I'm determined to get through the second one first  :(

When you read about the development of Cyberpunk, it sounds like they didn't put enough work in to the first couple of years after announcement, and ended up having to cut all kinds of corners to get it out of the door. Obviously the awful state they shipped it in gave that away, and all of the missing gameplay elements, but there's an awful lot of cookie-cutter questing too, which indicates there were problems long before crunch started. The worry with CDPR is that the lesson they'll learn isn't that they need to put more time into developing something like this, but that they can get away with shipping anything and the money will roll in regardless.

Are you thinking of the crucifixion quest in Cyberpunk? I read an article about that being an amazing storyline, but I didn't feel that at all. It felt quite tedious and on-rails. The idea was a bit mental, but the execution was pretty staid.

I bought the PS4 version middle of last year (I think) for around £15

Never even bothered to take the shrink wrap off if.

Finally installed it today, thankfully free PS5 upgrade.

I’m hoping this will be another No Man’s Sky / Battlefront 2 

Terrible launched that I picked up for cheap and ended up having massive amounts of fun with 

Edit: I just remembered how crazy the hype was for this game for what felt like years before it’s launch 

Edited by Clown Job

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

Are you thinking of the crucifixion quest in Cyberpunk? I read an article about that being an amazing storyline, but I didn't feel that at all. It felt quite tedious and on-rails. The idea was a bit mental, but the execution was pretty staid.

I don't think so, this was just a minor quest with a guy who'd locked himself in an apartment.  Think it was an ex-cop or something.

In starting it up yesterday, not seeing a huge amount of difference just yet.  Although I never really had too many problems with it originally, just felt it wasn't worth the time.  At the risk of sounding all Mary Whitehouse, I still find it overly, aggressively sexual to the point of being offputting.  I know that's kind of what they're going for, but it gets pretty grating pretty quickly, and comes across like the biggest gang of VLs have been writing the game to show how edgy they are.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I don't think so, this was just a minor quest with a guy who'd locked himself in an apartment.  Think it was an ex-cop or something.

In starting it up yesterday, not seeing a huge amount of difference just yet.  Although I never really had too many problems with it originally, just felt it wasn't worth the time.  At the risk of sounding all Mary Whitehouse, I still find it overly, aggressively sexual to the point of being offputting.  I know that's kind of what they're going for, but it gets pretty grating pretty quickly, and comes across like the biggest gang of VLs have been writing the game to show how edgy they are.

Ah, I remember. Yeah, I failed that quest; turned out that I was supposed to tell his cop friends that he was upset about his tortoise dying, and they magically stop being unsympathetic arseholes to him. Totally unintuitive, considering the world they live in, and their prior behaviour.

I know what you mean about the sexuality - it's an obvious comment on how our society uses sex, but it does get tiresome after a while. It would probably put you off shagging completely if you lived in that world.

Bought this when the PS5 upgrade was announced for £18 and it's very, very good I have to say. Only real bits of junk were an NPC not triggering the next bit of a mission and one of the Cyberpsychos glitched into a bin and couldn't move (helpful because they'd killed me about 5 times so I just threw about 30 grenades at them from then on).

• 1 month later...

About an hour in and haven't a clue what I'm doing yet. It's graphically stunning. The one glitch I've had so far was pretty funny. The guy I was with walked through a filing cabinet but the filing cabinet reacted with a loud bang and paper going everywhere [emoji38]

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

About an hour in and haven't a clue what I'm doing yet. It's graphically stunning. The one glitch I've had so far was pretty funny. The guy I was with walked through a filing cabinet but the filing cabinet reacted with a loud bang and paper going everywhere emoji38.png

Dunno about now, but that used to be a very common glitch. You'd see NPCs walking about with little poofs of paperwork fluttering about all over the place as the environment wigged out.

The original version they put out was a comedy classic.