Cyberpunk 2077

Wardy

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

You have to wonder why they didn't just make The Witcher 4

Probably because they were fagged out after more than a decade of Gerald, the dirty shagger of Xerox Middle-Earth. I know that's why I haven't played through The Witcher 2 & 3 yet - after the original Witcher, Dragon Age: Origins, and Skyrim, that was me done with the make-believe Middle Ages. I don't even like fantasy stuff so, much as I'd like to see where Gerald's knob takes him next, I'm afraid he's going to be on the back burner for the foreseeable.

Hacking my way around the seedier parts of Tokyo isn't exactly a breathtaking innovation, granted, but it does currently seem more appealing than fighting more bloody dragons and knobbing filthy Renaissance Fair refugees.

Edited by BFTD
I can't type.

Surprised that it looks like I’m coming to the end of the main plot already. There’s still absolutely tons of stuff to do in the open world with side quests/jobs etc but if it is closing towards the end game then it is fairly short. Certainly much shorter than Witcher 3 and pretty much all open world RPG’s I’ve played for a while.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

To be fair, Witcher 3 did that, built up to what was surely going to be the end of the game, then it kept going for another 10-15 hours.

Nah it gave me a warning before I tried to do one of the missions.

Just now, Rodhull said:

Nah it gave me a warning before I tried to do one of the missions.

It's like they looked at all the glowing positives they had in Witcher 3 and consciously decided to move away from them.  Writing isn't as good, doesn't seem as long based on what you're saying, certain menu systems have gone backward.  It's still enjoyable, but...man, what a wasted opportunity.

On the writing part, I've always said that a wee side quest in W3 is my favourite in any game.  You're doing basic fetch quests for a guy they write as being a bit of a chancer, always asking you to do that little bit more and avoiding stuff himself.  Then once you've done it all, it ends with a talk with him that he reveals his wife has some kind of dementia and is losing herself.  He had always promised her a Black Pearl in his days sailing the seas, but now he's too old.  He thought getting it would bring her back, even for a minute, but unfortunately it didn't.  He pays you, and you're left with a feeling you don't really get in games often.

I think I found the "equivalent" quest in this one.  Spoilers below, although it's just a random side quest

In your apartment block there's a cop holed up just beneath your flat.  His colleagues ask you to check on him and talk to him, one being caring and one being the usual "men should be men" stereotype.  You talk a few times, everything seems alright, then on the 3rd you find the cops distraught outside his door, after he's presumably offed himself.  "Men don't cry" guy is blaming himself loudly. 

I see what they're trying to do, but it just seems so heavy-handed compared to the way they delicately spun quests in W3.  I've not played through the whole thing, and maybe it does exist, but I doubt there'll be a scene as well directed as when you first kind Ciri "dead".  Such a shame.

18 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's like they looked at all the glowing positives they had in Witcher 3 and consciously decided to move away from them.  Writing isn't as good, doesn't seem as long based on what you're saying, certain menu systems have gone backward.  It's still enjoyable, but...man, what a wasted opportunity.

On the writing part, I've always said that a wee side quest in W3 is my favourite in any game.  You're doing basic fetch quests for a guy they write as being a bit of a chancer, always asking you to do that little bit more and avoiding stuff himself.  Then once you've done it all, it ends with a talk with him that he reveals his wife has some kind of dementia and is losing herself.  He had always promised her a Black Pearl in his days sailing the seas, but now he's too old.  He thought getting it would bring her back, even for a minute, but unfortunately it didn't.  He pays you, and you're left with a feeling you don't really get in games often.

I think I found the "equivalent" quest in this one.  Spoilers below, although it's just a random side quest

Reveal hidden contents

In your apartment block there's a cop holed up just beneath your flat.  His colleagues ask you to check on him and talk to him, one being caring and one being the usual "men should be men" stereotype.  You talk a few times, everything seems alright, then on the 3rd you find the cops distraught outside his door, after he's presumably offed himself.  "Men don't cry" guy is blaming himself loudly. 

I see what they're trying to do, but it just seems so heavy-handed compared to the way they delicately spun quests in W3.  I've not played through the whole thing, and maybe it does exist, but I doubt there'll be a scene as well directed as when you first kind Ciri "dead".  Such a shame.

Yeah I've done that one too. I'd agree that even the better stuff doesn't reach the heights of when Witcher 3 is at its best but nearly all the best stuff in the game so far has been side mission stuff. The main plot has more spectacle but the more interesting stuff has been outside the main story. It's often been the case where when you have multiple missions for side characters the first one is the least interesting and it does develop a better plot for them as you get further into it. Don't want to say too much more for fear of spoiling anything for anyone.

Finished this last night. Not much of a side missions guy but once they roll out the PS5 patch I'll more than happily go back and do a different ay through.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, bugs and crashes aside. I got what's considered the shite ending but I thought it was a really good way to end the game for me personally, quite an emotional one too.

Are those of you on PS4 finding it glitchy but still playable? I know I've been bought it for Christmas and wondering if it would be better to take a refund, but if it's actually playable I may as well persist.

I bought it on release day well aware of the issues and can normally turn a blind eye to a lot of them. I played about an hour and didn’t turn it back on, when refunds got offered i then took it. It was a shambles from my point of view.

I got what's probably one of the better endings but it was still quite bittersweet I'd say. Suppose that's no bad thing, can't always have a perfect ending.

The main story is in isolation is short, but a lot of the side missions are really just optional main missions if you get me. Many of them tie in and give you different options for the ending and introduce more characters, develop the ones you already know etc.

The writing isn't quite as strong as the Witcher games but I think that was always likely to be the case given that the characters and some of plotlines in the Witcher were already steeped in lore which must have helped. I'm not sure anything they'll ever do will match up in that regard. I still liked the characters you get to know in the game. Bit on that:

Spoiler

Johnny Silverhand is great. Fucking bellend but you can kind of steer his personality a bit and think he's a terrific antihero near the end.

Judy Alvarez and Panam felt very real as people and enjoyed both their questlines a lot.

Jackie Welles seemed like a good lad as well, not sure why you don't get to play more of an intro into Night City with him rather than meet - montage - start missions 6 months later.

The little bit of backstory with Rogue is decent. Wonder if she'll be in any of the DLC?

Other than that the game is just clearly not finished so I can't say there's much else in the game of much concentrated substance.

23 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It looks horrendous on my Xbone. Feels like I'm playing Mass Effect.

So I Googled around and found some articles discussing the graphics and after turning off every filter it looks far better. It's baffling that the game starts with a bunch of features (film grain, chromatic aberration, depth of field etc) that make the game look much worse and blurrier than it is.

Started a new game cos of new rig. The nomad start is a thousand miles better than the city streets one. In fact the streets one is absolute pish in comparison. Not interactive at all while the nomad one has you driving and shooting before the "first mission" 

Went for a massive farmer's bull's dick this time. Sometimes it's nice to have a bit of reality in your games. 

Edited by madwullie

Getting it running at all on my older PC was a bit of a bitch, but some fannying about on Google has managed to get it bearable. I'm not far in, but I can cope with the bugs I've seen, and presumably that'll improve with further patching (though that's no excuse).

The thing that's surprised me most has been how dead the city is. From what I've seen so far, you really are as well driving everywhere, as the only reason for going on foot is to pick up the occasional piece of junk lying around. There's little or no interaction with NPCs outside of missions, most buildings are locked, and the ones that aren't have nothing to do inside.

It feels like they had plans for a grand boundary-pushing open world, but bit off way more than they could chew, and have gradually been forced to whittle back the content until there wasn't much left. What's there feels almost like a Mafia-style open world backdrop, which is supposed to look impressive in passing, but if you stop to interact you'll immediately notice how superficial everything is. Frankly, the game it reminds me most of is Dead Island, only with passive humans strolling about instead of zombies. which I really wasn't expecting.

Pity. I've seen a lot of talk about people hoping CD Projekt will go down the No Man's Sky route, and continue working on the game for years until it more closely resembles what people were promised/expecting, but there's no guarantee of that and it's a poor state of affairs anyway. I wouldn't recommend for anyone to buy it at full price. Still, maybe in five years it'll be a compelling experience I'll be playing on a PC that can throw the engine around like a rag doll.