No crowds?

On 24/09/2020 at 16:32, lithgierose said:

Wonder if any other clubs have tried for MP support

Screenshot_20200924_162721_com.android.chrome.jpg

Bet you any money you like, clubs will have contacted MSPs to get support. However, not sure if that will be of any value!

Next year is Scottish Parliament elections. To a man or woman, most, if not all MSPs, including SNP members (except Scottish Ministers) will give a sound bite which says they will support the clubs! To not to, would be folly as it would not help their cause to be re-elected! 

You can promise the world in such an instance, but it matters not a jot as First Minister will have final say!

17 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Spot on.FB_IMG_1601031426916.jpeg

Because it's not safe to sit on a plane and it's not safe to sit in a restaurant or a pub. The government just chooses not to ban those things because of the economic impact. 

The number of tests in Scotland is no higher now than it was 5 weeks ago, but the number of cases is up eightfold (meaning cases are doubling every 12 days) and the test positivity rate up from below 1% to just under 10%. Less than three weeks ago the UK was averaging 7 deaths a day, now it's 28. Those numbers are certain to keep going up at the very least for two weeks.

I assume everyone already knows all this stuff, but maybe not.

We're back where we were in March, only this time we're heading into a winter (coronaviruses generally like cold, damp weather and the NHS is stretched every winter anyway) and far more things are open. I can't understand why anyone thinks anything is safe right now. This is a critical moment.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 05.19.41.png

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 05.20.01.png

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 05.20.15.png

Because it's not safe to sit on a plane and it's not safe to sit in a restaurant or a pub. The government just chooses not to ban those things because of the economic impact. 
The number of tests in Scotland is no higher now than it was 5 weeks ago, but the number of cases is up eightfold (meaning cases are doubling every 12 days) and the test positivity rate up from below 1% to just under 10%. Less than three weeks ago the UK was averaging 7 deaths a day, now it's 28. Those numbers are certain to keep going up at the very least for two weeks.
I assume everyone already knows all this stuff, but maybe not.
We're back where we were in March, only this time we're heading into a winter (coronaviruses generally like cold, damp weather and the NHS is stretched every winter anyway) and far more things are open. I can't understand why anyone thinks anything is safe right now. This is a critical moment.
806981840_Screenshot2020-09-26at05_19_41.thumb.png.ba77f985f71f29939d55276f1d143a6a.png
1502334019_Screenshot2020-09-26at05_20_01.thumb.png.25d6704d9d1ce6b9305eb4dfda3dbfe3.png
1120400918_Screenshot2020-09-26at05_20_15.thumb.png.78b4ade5a08d3cc9f0546204083a45b3.png
Gordon, your post is far too sensible for this forum, coming on here with facts, reasoning etc. Shame on you.

Cherrypicked facts to fit a preferred narrative. Deaths yesterday across the UK were 34 with 6874 new cases mostly mild or even asymptomatic. Comparable numbers back in April would have been around 1000 deaths for under 5000 new cases mostly people with severe symptoms.

Mild and asymptomatic cases were not even being tested for the most part back in April and hence were not being included in the official statistics so it is grossly misleading to use a new cases graph against time and not carefully explain that context and also show the graph of daily deaths against time. When viewed in terms of daily deaths the second wave is a faint echo effect related to a lifting of lockdowns so far and has been elsewhere in Europe as well. This is not the pattern that would have been expected if the lockdown had shielded huge numbers of people from being exposed to the virus and points instead to the process of opening up society again over the last few months having been a reasonable course of action overall.

Over 500,000 people die in the UK every year and into the tens of thousands of that are always likely to be the elderly from respiratory diseases. The numbers so far for COVID-19 deaths are not hugely worse than those for a severe flu season in other words. At the start of the year there were genuine reasons to fear that there could be a fatality rate of over 2% and the apocalyptic mathematical models reported by the media all assumed that sort of fatality rate with 100% of the population having no prior immunity. That isn't what has actually happened though and European countries that avoided strict lockdowns like Sweden and Belarus did not undergo the level of medical armageddon that was being predicted for them.

The data on what actually happened in reality point to something closer to a 0.2% fatality rate and probably less than that when viewed in population terms as the number actually getting infected usually seems to max out at around 20% for reasons that are not fully understood yet but could (this was in The British Medical Journal on 17th Sep so is not some wacko fringe internet theory) be due to cross-immunity from other coronaviruses related to T cells rather than antibodies. Are things completely safe on airplanes and in restaurants? No, but they never are. Are things as bad as was being predicted back in late March? Not even close. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

13 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

To be fair, that last paragraph confirms a position that's been in place since mid August in England but has not been replicated in Scotland. This was raised at the EoS meeting last Thursday and - apparently - Ian Maxwell had been unaware. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would genuinely rather be up a ladder tonight watching Coldstream v Arniston Rangers over a fence in the rain than watching Juventus v Barcelona.

I've just realised I've completely gone over to the old farts' side, and I like it.

Crowds return to Ross County, Inverness, Elgin, most HL etc. from this weekend: 300 limit, no away fans.

No southerly areas eligible currently but Borders, Fife and Perth & Kinross - containing 23/49 EOSL clubs - are 1 'step' away.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/jrg-update-04-nov-20

Scottish football’s Joint Response Group has today welcomed the Scottish Government decision to allow 300 fans to attend some professional football matches.

The decision follows publication of the Scottish Government’s Coronavirus (Covid-19) Strategic Framework for Scotland, which allows restricted numbers of fans to attend stadia located in local authority areas with Protection Level 1 of the Framework.

The JRG will work with Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC, Elgin City FC and those Highland League clubs also in Level 1 local authority areas over the coming weeks on their operational plans, to ensure the safe return of fans to those clubs as soon as possible.

This means that Ross County FC will welcome up to 300 home fans to the Global Energy Stadium for the visit of Livingston FC this Friday, 6 November.

Having met tonight HL will start belatedly on November 28th.

Hopefully the Scots will behave better than the English counterparts, no distancing, masks, players hugging each other celebrating goals, joining in with the fan's to celebrate. I've been to 5/6 games and most fans appear to be acting like 'normal' No wonder all football has been locked down, after clubs had been getting increased crowds after trying their best to restart.

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Hopefully the Scots will behave better than the English counterparts, no distancing, masks, players hugging each other celebrating goals, joining in with the fan's to celebrate. I've been to 5/6 games and most fans appear to be acting like 'normal' No wonder all football has been locked down, after clubs had been getting increased crowds after trying their best to restart.

I know someone involved in non league in England and when asked about social distancing said we tell them and have some signs up but we can’t make them. 

That explains why I often mention idiots on P&B, those who just want to act as normal. The clubs have tried really hard, spent loads of £, but a lot of people have to take some blame : players, fans , management etc. Bit like the thousands who paraded thru Manchester in some anti virus / lockdown march thing recently.