Jump to content
resk

Dons v Well (Sunday 20/9 3pm)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Get them on Warzone, join the misery.

I deleted that it was too many big fucking updates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Bit of an embarrassing display this afternoon but all credit has to go to Motherwell for that. Long and Watt really spooked our back three and Campbell just bitch slapped Ferguson about the place today. A classy player who should go a long way in the game.

As for us, a shambles. Ojo is an absolute waste of space, Taylor was back to the Taylor we saw at times in his first spell with us and McInnes needs to keep McCrorie in the middle of midfield. Lewis had a terrible display today but not many came out with much credit. Hopefully a bad day but who knows.

With McKenna going, Hoban looks our only really good quality centre back, Considine is alright, Taylor and Devlin are shaky. Making a quality back three has got a whole lot harder.

I think I read earlier on here someone saying that a number of the top 10 worst McInnes era performances would come against Robinson's Motherwell and I absolutely concur with that comment. Motherwell know how to play us and get at us.

The correct result today, absolutely no complaints and fair play to Motherwell.

I think that one of the 'well guys posted the Robinson v McInnes stats earlier in the thread. It's fairly even (it might even be 6 wins each now).....not surprising that both sides have been reasonably evenly placed in the league in the last few years. 

Don't forget as well that Aberdeen have turned Motherwell over quite regularly at Fir Park. 3-0 last season comes to mind but there have been others. 

It's the league's most unpredictable fixture. Yesterday was just another example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a personal level, I was probably needing that result as I was beginning to think we might actually be good.

It would be easy to focus on us being shite but Motherwell were superb and did an absolute job on us. In reality the game was over after 8 minutes as we're not coming back from 2-0 against Robinson's Motherwell in that form.

On another day we might not concede 3 shite goals in 20 minutes but 100% the better team won with the level of comfort they deserved too.

What a player Allan Campbell is too.

I think our defensive situation/playing a back 3 is now a major concern for Derek with Mckenna leaving but this thread should be left for Motherwell taking the deserved credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, welldaft said:

As for Campbell. I think most Well fans wonder why there has been little interest in him. Arguably he is as important to our Team than Turnbull was. He is just unspectacular and that is probably why. He has started to add goals to his game and that is what has been missing, I would be surprised if we got to the end of the transfer window without one or two speculative bids. Losing him would be a body blow. But the good news is we have banked nearly £4-£5m this year in transfers so can hold out. Hope he does a Turnbull and signs for another year to give us some extra protection. 

Signing for another year actually gives us less protection than we currently have. If he leaves, as expected, in the summer, we'll have the training compensation due to his age. 

If he signs for another year, he could walk away at the end of that deal for f**k all. 

He's either leaving in October for close to a million, or in May for about half of that.

Edited by Desp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think that one of the 'well guys posted the Robinson v McInnes stats earlier in the thread. It's fairly even (it might even be 6 wins each now).....not surprising that both sides have been reasonably evenly placed in the league in the last few years. 

That was me. The result yesterday takes it to 6 wins each from 12 played. 4 of Robinson's wins have been 3-0, McInnes has had a 3-0 win at FP and a 3-1 at Pittodrie, his other 4 wins have been 1-0.

11/03/17 (A) - 1-0 (L)
21/09/17 (H) - 3-0 (W - League Cup QF)
24/09/17 (H) - 0-1 (L) 
18/11/17 (A) - 0-2 (W)
03/04/18 (H) - 0-1 (L)
14/04/18 (N) - 3-0 (W - Scottish Cup SF)
22/09/18 (A) - 1-0 (L)
24/11/18 (H) - 3-0 (W)
03/04/19 (A) - 3-1 (L)
19/10/19 (H) - 0-3 (L) 
22/01/20 (A) - 0-1 (W)
20/09/20 (A) - 0-3 (W)

Played - 12
Won - 6
Lost - 6
F - 16
A - 10

Not that it changes the result any but the 1-0 in March '17 should probably be caveated by the fact it was while Robinson was interim manager and he was working with the mess McGhee left behind.

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That was me. The result yesterday takes it to 6 wins each from 12 played. 4 of Robinson's wins have been 3-0, McInnes has had a 3-0 win at FP and a 3-1 at Pittodrie, his other 4 wins have been 1-0.

11/03/17 (A) - 1-0 (L)
21/09/17 (H) - 3-0 (W - League Cup QF)
24/09/17 (H) - 0-1 (L) 
18/11/17 (A) - 0-2 (W)
03/04/18 (H) - 0-1 (L)
14/04/18 (N) - 3-0 (W - Scottish Cup SF)
22/09/18 (A) - 1-0 (L)
24/11/18 (H) - 3-0 (W)
03/04/19 (A) - 3-1 (L)
19/10/19 (H) - 0-3 (L) 
22/01/20 (A) - 0-1 (W)
20/09/20 (A) - 0-3 (W)

Played - 12
Won - 6
Lost - 6
F - 16
A - 10

Not that it changes the result any but the 1-0 in March '17 should probably be caveated by the fact it was while Robinson was interim manager and he was working with the mess McGhee left behind.

Aye but....7-2

image.png.c56c0dfde196e0e9cae3572ded3ecaa8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always had the impression (even going back to his time at St Johnstone) that McInnes tends to overthink things against us at times - there have definitely been a number of occasions during his time at Aberdeen where he's changed things completely, presumably in order to nullify something or other - but it's ended up backfiring. 

Mark McGhee used to do exactly the same for us against Yogi Hughes' ICT and it used to drive me mental (I still haven't got over him dropping Louis Moult for a cup tie at Fir Park in order to change our shape completely, which we naturally ended up losing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've always had the impression (even going back to his time at St Johnstone) that McInnes tends to overthink things against us at times - there have definitely been a number of occasions during his time at Aberdeen where he's changed things completely, presumably in order to nullify something or other - but it's ended up backfiring. 

Mark McGhee used to do exactly the same for us against Yogi Hughes' ICT and it used to drive me mental (I still haven't got over him dropping Louis Moult for a cup tie at Fir Park in order to change our shape completely, which we naturally ended up losing)

Not sure he did yesterday tbf.

It was the same shape as usual with Hoban/Mckenna enforced changes and another one or two changes to freshen up from Thursday. As well as the back 3 it's a little concerning Logan/Hernandez aren't trusted at RWB. With Kennedy injured that seems to be a problem with both McCrorie and Mcginn having failed there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've always had the impression (even going back to his time at St Johnstone) that McInnes tends to overthink things against us at times - there have definitely been a number of occasions during his time at Aberdeen where he's changed things completely, presumably in order to nullify something or other - but it's ended up backfiring. 

 

I dare say there's an element of that in pretty much every football manager.  It just sticks out with McInnes because he's been at Aberdeen so long and sooner or later his record against every club gets analysed. As stated above, given that both teams have relatively similar records over the last few years, it's no surprise that he has a fairly even record against Robinson's Motherwell. 

There's a perception that we're always poor against St Johnstone due to a few bad results, but actually it's not true. On the other side of the coin, Killie and Hibs can rarely buy a point against us, never mind a win.

Before the game started yesterday I did post about the tombola, and the fact that the changes that he made didn't seem to stack up. This is McInnes's biggest weakness (IMHO), his sometimes burning need to take players and fit them as square pegs into a round hole. The last 6 games, he managed to find a system with a set of players that worked......take away 3 of these players and we've discovered that the system doesn't actually work after all. 

Maybe we needed a boot in the nuts, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the tables were turned at Fir Park next time out. 

 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure he did yesterday tbf.

It was the same shape as usual with Hoban/Mckenna enforced changes and another one or two changes to freshen up from Thursday. As well as the back 3 it's a little concerning Logan/Hernandez aren't trusted at RWB. With Kennedy injured that seems to be a problem with both McCrorie and Mcginn having failed there now.

Yeah, I thought yesterday was a case of a lot of things falling in our favour eg: McKenna getting sold, Hoban unable to play because he's made of glass. On top of that we seemed really 'at it' and everything seemed to 'click'.

In comparison your 3-0 win at Fir Park last season saw us miss a penalty in the 5th minute and your collection of centre backs proceeded to steamroll us after that.

He didn't really see much of the ball but for all he's taken a power of abuse this season Grimshaw's role was interesting on the left in so much as we seemed to be switching between a 352 and 442 with Lamie stepping out to left back - that was a proper throwback to Robinson's Thunderdome era but with better players middle to front. We didn't have a Moult but both Watt and Long are considerably better footballers than Ryan Bowman or Curtis Main and Polworth offers more in that respect than Andy Rose so everything seemed a lot more fluid than the previous iteration.

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, I thought yesterday was a case of a lot of things falling in our favour eg: McKenna getting sold, Hoban unable to play because he's made of glass. On top of that we seemed really 'at it' and everything seemed to 'click'.

In comparison your 3-0 win at Fir Park last season saw us miss a penalty in the 5th minute and your team of centre backs proceeded to steamroll us after that.

He didn't really see much of the ball but for all he's taken a power of abuse this season Grimshaw's role was interesting on the left in so much as we seemed to be switching between a 352 and 442 with Lamie stepping out to left back - that was a proper throwback to Robinson's Thunderdome era but with better players middle to front we didn't have Moult both Watt and Long are considerably better footballers than Ryan Bowman or Curtis Main and Polworth offers more in that respect than Andy Rose so everything seemed a lot more fluid than the previous iteration.

Watt and Long seemed a really effective pair. Absolutely spooked our positionally dubious centre halves throughout the first half in particular and dovetailed really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Motherwell played very well and deserved the three points. Aberdeen just went into self destruct mode in the opening 20 mins. 

I've seen Campbell a few times now and he is above and beyond Ferguson, McCann, and the other young players currently in Scotland. Turnbull is another talent that is more akin to the days of Jess etc. Proper footballers. Celtic would be mad not to sign Campbell as a replacement for Scott Brown. This kid has some engine on him. He just completely dominated Ojo and Ferguson at the same time. He might have played for the opposition but he's a joy to watch.

Motherwell are a decent side I've no idea why they have been so poor in recent months.

So frustrating as an Aberdeen fan. Far too many regulars didn't start and it led to our downfall today. McKenna, Kennedy, McCrorie in midfield from the start, etc. would have been a completely different game.

McInnes' Aberdeen sides have been on the receiving end of a few 3-0 loses to Motherwell. 

Move on and beat them next time round.

 

Let's no wildly exaggerate on the back of a terrible performance. Campbell was brilliant yesterday but he's had some anonymous performances against us over the past couple of years. One where his namesake Dean had him chasing shadows at Pittodrie springs to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Let's no wildly exaggerate on the back of a terrible performance. Campbell was brilliant yesterday but he's had some anonymous performances against us over the past couple of years. One where his namesake Dean had him chasing shadows at Pittodrie springs to mind.

Campbell was the young player of the year  last season apart from a bit of politics in the game plus the mighty well got third without Turnbull.
Both clubs getting dosh for players not to be spent on the squad, will be interesting where both finish in the league.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye but....7-2

image.png.c56c0dfde196e0e9cae3572ded3ecaa8.png

 

They showed highlights of that match before the game on RedTV - after 25 minutes yesterday, my only thought was there's no way we are getting 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Desp said:

Signing for another year actually gives us less protection than we currently have. If he leaves, as expected, in the summer, we'll have the training compensation due to his age. 

If he signs for another year, he could walk away at the end of that deal for f**k all. 

He's either leaving in October for close to a million, or in May for about half of that.

I guess it all depends on what interest there is in him. I also did not know that him signing on for an extra year negates training compensation. 

However if it is circa £500k the compensation ( I know it depends on which league / country he goes too.) then surely assuming he continues on same trajectory we would not get offers of less than that even the Xmas before any extended deal comes to an end. 

Q - If we got offered £1m then the Q is are we better holding on to him for this season and take the training compensation next summer ? 

A lot may also depend on how we get on in Europe. Another round or two and we really would not need to consider any bid unless it was £1m + 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Campbell was the young player of the year  last season apart from a bit of politics in the game plus the mighty well got third without Turnbull.
Both clubs getting dosh for players not to be spent on the squad, will be interesting where both finish in the league.

steve coogan shrug GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think that one of the 'well guys posted the Robinson v McInnes stats earlier in the thread. It's fairly even (it might even be 6 wins each now).....not surprising that both sides have been reasonably evenly placed in the league in the last few years. 

Don't forget as well that Aberdeen have turned Motherwell over quite regularly at Fir Park. 3-0 last season comes to mind but there have been others. 

It's the league's most unpredictable fixture. Yesterday was just another example. 

 

That 3-0 was actually a secret plan to convince McInnes he could play fullbacks in centre midfield. Probably cost you more points overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3-0 pumpings by Motherwell all part of the European masterplan - worked in Dec 2007 IMG_1359.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to Campbell, he had a fantastic game yesterday, but suggesting he's 'above and beyond' Ferguson is absolute nonsense. Ferguson had a poor game yesterday, but has had plenty of games where he's been every bit as dominant as Campbell was yesterday. Both are about equal in ability, and both have great potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Fair play to Campbell, he had a fantastic game yesterday, but suggesting he's 'above and beyond' Ferguson is absolute nonsense. Ferguson had a poor game yesterday, but has had plenty of games where he's been every bit as dominant as Campbell was yesterday. Both are about equal in ability, and both have great potential.

Ferguson was effectively left in central midfield by himself yesterday, in an utterly hopeless situation. Campbell was just part of a Motherwell midfield that overran us and dominated for 90 minutes. 

Ferguson and McCrorie together in central midfield is a different animal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...