The "I Forgot He Played For Us" Championship Edition

Blatantly stolen from the Premiership forum, what's your team's forgotten stars?  For Caley Thistle - 

Jonny Tuffey - Signed after looking brilliant for Partick Thistle in Division One, he was never able to unseat Ryan Esson as first choice.  Was alright but never looked as good as he had at Partick even when he did play.

Thomas Piermayr - Austrian full back in who was with the club in season 2011-12.  Was actually a decent player and left because he wanted to play in Germany.  Later had spells with Lillestrøm, Colorado Rapids, FC Minsk and is currently back in Austria with Wiener Neustradt. 

Steve Williams - Big centre-back who was also a barber and joined on loan from Bradford in 2011-12.  Scored a goal against Rangers and was reasonable as I recall.  Later had spells at Macclesfield, Halifax, Barrow and Fylde but hasn't played since leaving Lancaster City in 2018.

Steve Watt - Joined on loan from Swansea under Charlie Christie as the replacement for Darren Dods.  Made his one and only appearance in Brewster's first game back in a League Cup tie against Arbroath.  He actually looked like a good defender but we never saw him again.  He played as many times for ICT as he did for Chelsea under Jose Mourinho!  Seemingly Butcher tried to re-sign him after his spell at Ross County but he went back down south.  Currently manages Hythe Town in the Isthmian League South East Division.

Richie Byrne - Signed because he was friends with Brewster.  Never actually got on the park.

Thierry Gathuessi - Also signed late in Brewster's second spell.  Made one sub appearance and started against Hearts at Tynecastle before coming off injured in the first half never to be seen again.

Alan Morgan - Left winger signed from Blackburn.  Had a decent left foot but seemed to be constantly injured.

David Davis - Had four months with us and actually looked like a really good player.  Came in on loan from Wolves and played 14 times scoring once and later that season played in the English Premier League.  Now at Birmingham City.

Daniel Stratford - Ex-Fulham and DC United midfielder who had one season in our solitary Division One season under Butcher.  There was actually a bit of interest when he signed as he'd apparently looked good in MLS but he was absolutely hopeless.  Now back in America coaching college football.  His only moment of fame came when Butcher was announcing all the players when we were awarded the Division One trophy.  For all of them he'd give a little remark as they were announced like "A great striker...Adam Rooney!" and "A brilliant goalkeeper...Ryan Esson"...for this guy Butcher said "Daniel Stratford...a great guy!" :lol:

Ben Greenhalgh - Football's next star apparently.  The former Inter Milan winger joined the club under Butcher.  He did have some talent - he was pretty quick and skilful but far too lightweight for Scottish football.  

Sam Winnall - Made one start and had a few fleeting appearances off the subs bench.  Did very little but seems to have since come good down south later with Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Derby.  He's now at Oxford United.

And on the bench...

Max Johnson - Goalkeeper brought in from Newcastle under Butcher.  Never made the bench.

George Brislen-Hall - A left-sided fullback/winger who looked good in the reserves and appeared on the bench a couple of times.  Despite being linked with Burnley after his release from us, he wound up playing in the Essex local leagues.

Claude Gnakpa - A Frenchman Butcher claimed he'd been after "for years" and had previously been a big player for Luton.  Looked decent on his debut then gave up.  He claimed after his release that he "found it hard to settle so far north".  He next team was in Iraq...

Dean Ebbe - We were staring relegation in the face.  We needed a striker to pull us back up to safety.  "Who should we go for?" Richie Foran thought.  "I know, a guy from the Dublin Sunday League!"  He actually seemed to come good for TNS the following seasons but he was certainly not the player we were needing at that time.

Ryan Williams - An England international...in futsal!  One of about half a dozen central midfielders Yogi Hughes signed that season and he did very little.  Later had spells in America, Canada, Brazil...and Tranmere!  He's now playing in the Swedish second tier.

Gil Blumenshtein - A long haired Israeli winger/forward.  Came at the recommendation of Ally McCoist.  Constantly injured.

Andre Martins - A Portuguese man of mystery had previous spells at Fulham and with clubs in Sweden, Ecuador, Bulgaria, Mexico, Finland and Sweden though seemed to leave after making barely if any appearances for any of them.  He'd also had trials with everyone from Dundee, Dundee United and Raith Rovers to Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund!  Randomly appeared unannounced on the bench for a game against Hearts before disappearing without a trace a few weeks later.  The chairman at the time later told me that we might have been Ali Dia-ed and after he signed it was his brother who turned up!

And a special mention...

Harry Hooman - English defender signed around the same time as Marley Watkins.  Got signed, got injured and then got released - all in the space of about three days! 

Edited by Highland Capital

I was channel flicking a few months back and there was Daniel Stratford on a documentary about US college soccer teams, he's coaching there now.  He was not a good player though.

Simon King is another example, signed to play alongside Warren, started five games but then had a career ending injury.

We had journeyman Chris Innes for a wee spell in 2010-2011 that I remembered about the other day.  Scored in a 3-0 at St Johnstone if I recall.  Think that was Aaron Doran's debut.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Steve Watt - Joined on loan from Swansea under Charlie Christie as the replacement for Darren Dods.  Made his one and only appearance in Brewster's first game back in a League Cup tie against Arbroath.  He actually looked like a good defender but we never saw him again.  He played as many times for ICT as he did for Chelsea under Jose Mourinho!  Seemingly Butcher tried to re-sign him after his spell at Ross County but he went back down south.  Currently manages Hythe Town in the Isthmian League South East Division.

Remembered all of the names mentioned in your OG post (maybe not in as much detail) but I had completely forgotten about this guy! Felt like he played more than just once but as you say he just featured in the one match against Arbroath.

Just about anyone who played for Ayr during the Stainrod years, where players would turn up for two or three games then disappear. Then there was the season Dalziel fielded almost 50 players which included hasbeens like Lee Power and Louie Donowa. We also had Jens Martin Knudsen in goals for a few matches a couple of years later- he was the Faroese goalie who wore the bobble hat. Ross County Chief Executive Steve Ferguson also deserves a mention. He had injury problems and didn't play many games for us.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Simon King is another example, signed to play alongside Warren, started five games but then had a career ending injury.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

We had journeyman Chris Innes for a wee spell in 2010-2011 that I remembered about the other day.  Scored in a 3-0 at St Johnstone if I recall.  Think that was Aaron Doran's debut.

In the spirit of this thread, I forgot both these guys!  King looked decent in the beginning before getting injured, but his departure did lead to Meekings cementing himself in the first team.  Innes was a strange signing - was pretty finished at that time.

9 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Jack Ross.

Did he actually play any minutes for us? 

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Noel Whelan

Nah, this one will be remembered for the comical situation it was. He was on the books, on what I imagine was a decent wage, until December that year.

Colin Stewart

Liam Smith     
David Armstrong    
David Syme    
Kevin McCann

Paul Currie    
Jonny Stewart    
Scott Bannerman    
Danny Thomson    
Josh Watt

Mark Roberts

Could probably have made a team just from Gary Locke’s signings or McGlynn’s loans during his first spell. 

Honourable mentions to Robbie Crawford, Ludo Roy, Darren Petrie, Ryan Wallace and Niall Henderson.

Edited by R.R.FC

Just went through the list of players on wikipedia and picked a passable XI of players I had genuinely forgot played for us.

Ryan Scully – Came in, played a decent amount of games but was a bit rubbish, got dropped, demanded a release, joined Dunfermline and was rubbish there too.

Jay Shields – Seemed to be a bright young thing at Hibs who got released after falling out with John Collins so seemed like could be a good signing. Played a season, never done much wrong, never done much right then got released.

Jordan Halsman – I know he played but I have no memory of him doing so

Stephen Frail – Another one who I remember being there but no memory of anything he ever done in games.

Darren Cole – Got his contract terminated at Sevco, went six months without a club, then we snapped him up out of desperation in that season we do not speak of. Best forgotten

Kyle Wilkie – I seem to recall Accies fans being surprised he was released as he had potential so was happy we signed him but he must have left that potential in Lanarkshire as he showed none in Inverclyde. Managed to get a move to Livingston after a season of nothing at Cappielow.

Kyle Thomson – His da was in Supertramp. He came over from college football in the states. Played one game as a second string team were embarrassed by Dumbarton then left a month later without playing.

Simon Mensing – Played a game as a trialist. I’d forgotten about that

Jon Newby – He had played in the Premiership and had nearly 200 games in the English League. Seemed a decent option. Was dreadful, debut goal aside, and punted back down south on loan before the transfer window ended.

Kevin Kelbie – Ex old firm youth player who was banging them in the Irish league as a part time player so there was hope we had unearthed a gem from the wilderness until we saw him. He was fat, slow and couldn’t shoot. Naturally Stirling Albion snapped him up a year later.

Stewart Kean – Just a bit shite. We had him for a season and he done nothing as he dropped down the leagues.

57 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Jay Shields – Seemed to be a bright young thing at Hibs who got released after falling out with John Collins so seemed like could be a good signing. Played a season, never done much wrong, never done much right then got released.

Darren Cole – Got his contract terminated at Sevco, went six months without a club, then we snapped him up out of desperation in that season we do not speak of. Best forgotten

Shields was released by Hibs because he was shite  and did an awful lot wrong with us to the extent that he was punted in January. You had to be really hopeless for Jim McInally to be that decisive about one of his own signings.

Most people will never forget Darren Cole, for good reason.

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Before or after the crash?

I'm sure Craig Hinchcliffe played a game or two for us.

He had a month's loan. I'd need to check but I think he'll have played 4 games probably.

Edit - Played 5 apparently in December 2006.

Edited by Skyline Drifter