“I forgot he played for us” XI

On 18/09/2020 at 11:16, Northboy said:

Must be umpteen clubs where Mr Beattie would qualify for this thread.

I remember him playing at Borough Briggs for Stirling Albion midweek and grabbing a City player's leg, in the 90th min, pulling him down which only the lino saw.  We scored from the pen for the only goal.

Was well past it (35 yrs old) when he signed for us , played at CH and couldn't run. Left after Christmas break.  Teenage daughter couldn't believe 10 years or so earlier he was a £1 million + player and internationalist.

Edited by gordon9736
spelling

Perhaps I didn’t make my point clearly.  The team we beat 3-0 produced the worst performance in a match against Killie I had ever seen up til then, and since. Hope that calms you down a bit. 

At no point did you say performance, game, match etc. Thicko.

GK: Dean Brill - arrived badly out of shape and left us wondering how bad he must be if Samson was dropping one in most weeks and he couldn't get a game. Left in the January without ever playing.

RB: Ange Oueifio - Central African Republic defender signed by Billy Davies on a two-year deal who was made redundant when we went into administration having not played in over a year.

CB: Daniel Sengewald - the only thing memorable about him was the fact he managed to remain on the bookies first goalscorer list years after he left.

CB: Franck Bernhard - According to wiki, signed on March 16th, made redundant on April 29th in the admin era. God knows why we were still signing folk six weeks before it.

LB: Franz Resch - one half of a curious Austrian duo signed by McLeish in the summer of 1997 who lasted about a month. Promising left-back Stephen McMillan had to be pushed into midfield to accommodate him whilst he was here.

CM: Paul Harvey - I remember that he was a wee ginger guy and that he played for us, but I struggle to remember anything he ever done in a game.

CM: Brian McClair (the second time) - I was eight when he signed and thought that us signing someone from Man Utd would automatically make him quality. Unfortunately, I wasn't old enough to realise his career had already been on the wind down for several seasons. He retired around October.

CM: Jake Taylor - I forgot he played with us even whilst I was present at games when he was playing. There wasn't even any past tense about this one.

FW: Ross McCormack (the second time) - Signed on loan in January after an awful first half to the 18/19 season, in both results and performances. The hype was big and we thought he could be the catalyst to turn things around. Was hooked after 45 mins on his debut in the Scottish Cup and managed less than 45 minutes accumulatively over three sub appearances in the league. Around that time David Turnbull started to show his brilliance and Jake Hastie went on his purple patch as we won six in a row and by the time he was back down at Villa for "treatment", he had genuinely been forgotten. 

FW: Lewis Grabban - Accumulated 18m in transfer fees over his career and was the star man in the "Sunderland till I die" documentary at one point, but managed less than an hour of fitba in a six-month loan at Fir Park. Often didn't even make the bench.

FW: Neil Tarrant - was on loan during the 2001/02 season, I think that's actually the only notable thing I can say.

GK: Ian McCaldon: Blink and you'd have missed him - probably played a total of three games during a brief loan spell from Livingston in Tom Hendrie's sole SPL season. Brought in as a combination of Ludovic Roy being injured and Derek Scrimgour being hoaching. Think he actually come on for Scrimgour in one of the games.

DF: Eddie Malone: Came as part of a double deal with Stephen O'Donnell from Clyde in the January of Gus' first top flight season, never got going and played out of position when he did play before eventually being loaned to Dundee at the beginning of the next season and never coming back. Had a good career elsewhere but was never really given a shot.

DF: Mark Hill: Loaned in by Jack Ross in the January of the promotion season. Played two games against Falkirk at the end of the season, neither of which we won and he was soon back off to Celtic. Once tipped for big things after playing for Accies reserves at the age of 13, seemingly now at Forfar.

DF: Ben Gordon: A decent player in fairness to him, Ben Gordon was signed by Alex Rae in the ill-fated Summer of Kyle Hutton. Rae, for whatever reason, instantly took a dislike to him and loaned him to Jack Ross' Alloa within a week of his debut. JR then got the Saints job, brought Gordon back, and also hardly played him before he as released that summer. Unfortunate with injuries.

DM: Paul McHale: Genuinely forgot he played for us but was a Coughlin loan signing and that probably explains why. Came in on loan from Rangers for half a season and scored once - couldn't tell you any more than that. Went on to have a half decent career with the likes of Clyde and Dundee though.

DM: Liam Keogh: Another Coughin masterclass, signed on a free from Celtic, played one game, got injured, released. Signed for Inverness that summer and went on to play in the SPL so can't have been that bad. Was on the cover of the Saints programme with his knee in ice after his injury - good cover that.

RW: Nick Hegarty: Broke his foot/ankle/whatever hitting a corner after being brought in during Danny Lennon's LSD laced first Saints season signing splurge. Having been wooed by Hegarty's career with Grimsby, Whitby, Willenhall and York City, Lennon released his mistake and released him after just three games.

CAM: Sean Lynch: What you would give to see a repeat of Lennon's first signing window. Lynch arrived with little fanfare having failed to make the grade at both Hibs and Falkirk. Shinned home a volley on the last minute of his debut against Dundee United and played a few games over the coure of the season but was never good enough and dropped down to Airdrie that summer.

LW: James Dayton: There has been worse players than James Dayton, he was actually half decent, but easy to forget he was at St Mirren the year we got relegated. Drafted in on loan from Oldham, he scored against Partick on his debut (?) and did have a bit of an impact. Best remembered for his spell at Killie though, and also having a pop at the St Mirren board for giving Ian Murray the job over Gary Teale.

ST: Mixu Paatelainen: Not a criticism of Mixu, who again done well at St Mirren for half a season before getting injured. Brought in as player coach in the early Gus years, Paatelainen scored his fair share of goals after arriving from St Johnstone. Cut his coaching teeth and when injury took over he jumped at the chance to take his first steps into management with Cowdenbeath.

ST: Alan Gow: How Alan Gow isn't on more of these I'll never know. Came in to help Yoann Arquin (christ), never scored, Saints got relegated and he got absolutely clattered by Stephen McManus. Ian Murray decided to keep him in the Championship, was always injured apart from a goal against Annan in the cup, made one cameo under Alex Rae as a sub and then he was gone.

Honourable mentions: Stevie Woods, Paul Lawson, Iain Anderson, Myles Hippolyte, Jaison McGrath, Eddie Annand