“I forgot he played for us” XI

I can’t do an 11 but I was startled to learn that Basile Boli’s brother Roger made three appearances at Tannadice in the late 90’s. This only came to light when his son’s eligibility for Scotland came up in the tartan army forum as he was born in Dundee during his brief tenure here.

I've gone through our squads for the last 15 years or so when picking my team. I've set them up in a 4-3-3 formation but some players may be out of position.

Artur Krysiak - I was struggling for a keeper as most of our recent ones have been memorable for either being really bad or really good. Krysiak was on loan from Birmingham but hardly played. He's gone on to make a lot of appearances in the English Football League.

Maurice Ross - Don't remember him being bad. Don't remember him being good either right enough.

Gavin Gunning - Was on loan at us from Blackburn and almost scored in a Scottish Cup final. Ended up at Dundee United and lost the plot.

Brian McClean - Was with us for 3 years but hardly played. Has played for so many clubs since that I'd imagine most people would have forgot we ever had him.

Tim Clancy - Spent a season with us when we finished 3rd under Mccall. I think he played left back but I genuinely can't remember.

Kristian Vadocz - Malpas signed him on loan from Auxerre's reserve team and I can't remember much about him. Went on to play in La Liga and has 42 caps for Hungary.

Simon Mensing - We signed him after he impressed at St Johnstone. According to Wikipedia he made 2 appearances in 6 months then left for Accies.

Steven Lawless - Came through our youth system but never really got a chance. Had a very decent career with Partick and Livingstone since leaving us.

Richie Foran - Will be well know among Scottish football fans but I think he became so associated with Inverness that people might have forgot he played for us first.

Lewis Grabban - Played 5 games on loan for us without scoring in the 07/08 season and has gone on to become a very decent striker in the English Championship.

Esteban Casagolda - Great name but a shite player. Played about a dozen games for us but never scored. Seems to have spent his career scoring a decent amount of goals in the Belgian lower leagues.

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

GK - Jan Mucha - *shrugs*

LB - Luis Rubiales - nearly 200apps in Spain’s top 2 divisions, played 3 games then retired. Now the head of the spainish fa - Banter

CB - Marvin Andrews - Banter

CB - Lamine Diatta - nearly 200 appearances in france, over 70 caps for Senegal playing in the 2002 World Cup. Do not think he played a game. Banter.

RB - Jack Ross/David van Zanten - 2 st Mirren legends who I cannot remember playing for us, one was probably the start of our right back problems, even if they weren’t I’ll blame them anyway.

CM - Adrian Beck - this guy apparently played 6 times last season and he could probably walk by me in the street

CM - Lee Lynch

CM - David Carney - another World Cup star who only remembered played for us through google

ST - Leon Knight

ST - James Grady - vaguely remember he scored for us I think, most Accies fans fondest memory of him was giving us all a laugh at the st Johnstone fans while he still played for Gretna

ST - Willie McLaren - 13 apps for us, wow.

Anyone who was at Kilmarnock that day will always remember Rubiales and Andrews along with Iriekpen and John Paul Kissock.  Seen a lot of awful performances but that was up there as one of the worst.

Cant remember the "top class" Spaniard and Greek who signed for us, were never seen and disappeared a couple of months later.

Edited by FuzzyBear

22 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Miquel Nelom - We’ve had full backs that have played less but this one was strange, signed by Neil Lennon from Feyenoord, had champions league experience, was a decent age yet somehow was hugely ineffectual and unable to break into the team, 3 appearances then back over to Holland.

that one is weird. why did he fall so hard from reg at feyenoord and international squads to failure at hibs

GK - Jan Mucha - *shrugs*

LB - Luis Rubiales - nearly 200apps in Spain’s top 2 divisions, played 3 games then retired. Now the head of the spainish fa - Banter

CB - Marvin Andrews - Banter

CB - Lamine Diatta - nearly 200 appearances in france, over 70 caps for Senegal playing in the 2002 World Cup. Do not think he played a game. Banter.

RB - Jack Ross/David van Zanten - 2 st Mirren legends who I cannot remember playing for us, one was probably the start of our right back problems, even if they weren’t I’ll blame them anyway.

CM - Adrian Beck - this guy apparently played 6 times last season and he could probably walk by me in the street

CM - Lee Lynch

CM - David Carney - another World Cup star who only remembered played for us through google

ST - Leon Knight

ST - James Grady - vaguely remember he scored for us I think, most Accies fans fondest memory of him was giving us all a laugh at the st Johnstone fans while he still played for Gretna

ST - Willie McLaren - 13 apps for us, wow.

This is pretty similar to what I would've gone with, although Salva Chamorro deserves to be mentioned despite the fact he never technically signed. Pictured signing a contract, launched a kit but never officially signed.

Kevin Welsh, who supposedly signed because his dad said he was really good and never appeared again after his debut at Ibrox, and Kemy Agustien made my team too. I also think Paul McGowan fits in with the spirit of this thread.

ETA: To this day, I don't think there's been any acknowledgement of Jan Mucha leaving the club.

16 hours ago, Durnford said:

how about adding half the "names" Maximo signed that helped push us towards our first administration... namely:

• Theo Whitmore
  • Guy Ipoua 
  • Carlos Garcia (okay; not strictly a signing as he never got international clearance)

A mention in any such "waster" list must also go to Cherif Toure Maman who offered so much but deliver so little.

I don't think anyone would really 'forget' that Ipoua or Whitmore signed for us. They were very much our 'big' signings of that close season.  Similarly, people suggesting Sergio Berti. I would say among Livi fans he is fairly well known.

23 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Ritchie Brittain scored a belter for us at Ibrox. He'll never be a forgotten Saint.

He lives round the corner from me and he’s absolutely massive now. 

One of those players you could tell was going to balloon as soon as he retired.

16 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Who was the Argie player that spat at someone in training and got punted before the season started?

Sergio Berti. Did Keane not sign him on about £5k a week then he tried to bin him for spitting on a young lad during a friendly ?

Pretty sure the SFA sided with the players unfair dismissal claim and it cost you quite a lot of money mate !!

Mark Paston - Played 2 games for us, but  managed 3 World Cup games as New Zealand qualified for their only appearance in 2010.

Michael Hart - Played plenty of games in Scotland for Aberdeen and Hibs, had precisely zero starts for saints and left shortly after.

Sanel Jahic - Played 5 games for saints, scored 1 goal against Livi the year we won the cup. 23 caps for Bosnia and played for some big clubs including AEK Athens, APOEL and then Grasshoppers the year he left us. I liked him as a player, others didn't 

Plamen Krachunov - I never saw him play, that may have been a blessing. Bulgarian who seems to have played for almost every Sofia club going.

Paul Hanlon - I don't remember him playing for us, pretty sure he joined on a short term loan the season Liam Craig was at left back.

Gwion Edwards - Playing regularly in England for Ipswich now and doing pretty well. Never once stood out up here on load from Swansea and I couldn't tell you who he was if I saw him. 

Michael Doughty - One of a number of random loan players brought in from down south, probably not helped by the fact we also loaned Mehdi Abeid at the same time who was a certified baller.

David Bagan - One of John Connelly's QotS boys who was frankly just not cut out for full time football. I remember him being absolutely shocking and didn't play very many games for us.

Barry Wilson - Yup, the ICT legend joined saints on loan for half a season the year ICT were in the top flight and we weren't. Definitely past his best at that stage and could barely sprint if I remember correctly.

Jordan Robertson - Straight out of a 2 year prison sentence he joined a Derek McInnes saints team who scored 23 league goals in a season. Unsurprisingly he scored exactly zero in his brief time at the club.

Craig Beattie - Yup, I've no idea why either!

2 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Anyone who was at Kilmarnock that day will always remember Rubiales and Andrews along with Iriekpen and John Paul Kissock.  Seen a lot of awful performances but that was up there as one of the worst.

Cant remember the "top class" Spaniard and Greek who signed for us, were never seen and disappeared a couple of months later.

Rubiales was absolutely tormented by Jamie Hamill (of all people) that day. Probably the worst individual performance I've ever seen at Rugby Park.

22 minutes ago, Widge said:

David Bagan - One of John Connelly's QotS boys who was frankly just not cut out for full time football. I remember him being absolutely shocking and didn't play very many games for us.

Bagan was part of our Scottish Cup winning team. I don't think ability was ever his issue, it was more about his attitude.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Rubiales was absolutely tormented by Jamie Hamill (of all people) that day. Probably the worst individual performance I've ever seen at Rugby Park.

Andrews and Iriekpen made Kevin Kyle look like a cross between Ronaldo and Messi.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

that one is weird. why did he fall so hard from reg at feyenoord and international squads to failure at hibs

I think his 2 caps for Holland were equivalent to Lewis Stevenson’s for Scotland in an effective “B squad” in a friendly but nonetheless I did expect a lot more.

He looked absolutely lost in a 3-0 defeat at Rugby Park, I had memories of Lennon playing a very weird formation with strange personnel so thought I’d google it to check, often google will get the formation wrong but I can honestly say this was how it lined up, a midfield 5 with arguably 4 of them who are naturally defenders 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.ab7b8131179cf301df277562bdf0d886.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

I think his 2 caps for Holland were equivalent to Lewis Stevenson’s for Scotland in an effective “B squad” in a friendly but nonetheless I did expect a lot more.

He looked absolutely lost in a 3-0 defeat at Rugby Park, I had memories of Lennon playing a very weird formation with strange personnel so thought I’d google it to check, often google will get the formation wrong but I can honestly say this was how it lined up, a midfield 5 with arguably 4 of them who are naturally defenders 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.ab7b8131179cf301df277562bdf0d886.jpeg

Hibs were absolutely awful that day. It was 3-0 going on about 10. I remember being absolutely raging when the lights went out the second time and we thought there was no way it was going to finish.

Mark Paston - Played 2 games for us, but  managed 3 World Cup games as New Zealand qualified for their only appearance in 2010.
Michael Hart - Played plenty of games in Scotland for Aberdeen and Hibs, had precisely zero starts for saints and left shortly after.
Sanel Jahic - Played 5 games for saints, scored 1 goal against Livi the year we won the cup. 23 caps for Bosnia and played for some big clubs including AEK Athens, APOEL and then Grasshoppers the year he left us. I liked him as a player, others didn't 
Plamen Krachunov - I never saw him play, that may have been a blessing. Bulgarian who seems to have played for almost every Sofia club going.
Paul Hanlon - I don't remember him playing for us, pretty sure he joined on a short term loan the season Liam Craig was at left back.
Gwion Edwards - Playing regularly in England for Ipswich now and doing pretty well. Never once stood out up here on load from Swansea and I couldn't tell you who he was if I saw him. 
Michael Doughty - One of a number of random loan players brought in from down south, probably not helped by the fact we also loaned Mehdi Abeid at the same time who was a certified baller.
Barry Wilson - Yup, the ICT legend joined saints on loan for half a season the year ICT were in the top flight and we weren't. Definitely past his best at that stage and could barely sprint if I remember correctly.
Jordan Robertson - Straight out of a 2 year prison sentence he joined a Derek McInnes saints team who scored 23 league goals in a season. Unsurprisingly he scored exactly zero in his brief time at the club.
Craig Beattie - Yup, I've no idea why either!

Had something similar when I started drafting one of these but also had

Lm: Marcus Maddison - grumpy petulant f**k that never played a game. Remember him moaning about how there was nothing to do in Perth - clearly hadn’t discovered loft. Now a very good English leagues player, at Hull right now.

Cb: Mark Connolly - shite. Still shite now but has played a lot more for other Scottish clubs.

St: take your pick of any of Tommy Wright’s 4th choice striker signings, all of who made Brian Graham look world class; Denny Johnstone (2 goals, shite) Rory Fallon (1 goal, can’t control a football) Chris Iwelumo (0, nice guy though) Adam Morgan (0, pals with Ian Beale from eastenders) Joe Gormley (0, good prospect but played one half of football and then decided he didn’t fancy it)