St Johnstone vs Ross County - 19/09/20, 3.00pm

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Same game as last week. We’ve gone 180 minutes without giving up a single clear chance to our opponents, while creating at least four or five gilt edged chances over the two games. We’ve lost both 1-0.

i find it quite hard to absolutely pin down the issue. We’re not giving up vast quantities of chances to our opponents. We’re getting into some good positions ourselves - though probably not as many as we should given the way possession and territory has gone in these games. According to Sky’s stats we put in 42 crosses in that game. Roughly one every two minutes. How many times did an attacker make a worthwhile run to get on to one? Even the incident where Tanser hits the bar it shouldn’t get near him - a striker should have been banging that in from the centre of the goal.

WhoScored reckon we won 3 headers all match, and agree with the 42 crosses.

We're just an abysmal attacking side. Our managers built a system that relies on quality crosses from out wide, a big target in the box, and players capable of winning second balls, when it seems like we have none of those.

Parish being dropped might help, but Clark was as bad last season. At least we've got a 34yo midfielder, who doesn't even threaten the goal and who's only strength is completing sideways passes, to help bring a cutting edge...

Same game as last week. We’ve gone 180 minutes without giving up a single clear chance to our opponents, while creating at least four or five gilt edged chances over the two games. We’ve lost both 1-0.
i find it quite hard to absolutely pin down the issue. We’re not giving up vast quantities of chances to our opponents. We’re getting into some good positions ourselves - though probably not as many as we should given the way possession and territory has gone in these games. According to Sky’s stats we put in 42 crosses in that game. Roughly one every two minutes. How many times did an attacker make a worthwhile run to get on to one? Even the incident where Tanser hits the bar it shouldn’t get near him - a striker should have been banging that in from the centre of the goal.

Crosses are all well and good, but if we’re getting zero end product out of them, the team needs to find a way to change it. One of the issues right now is the fact that the crosser simply thinks they’ve put it in the middle so their job is done, far from it. There’s literally zero quality on the balls, for the umpteenth game now, Jason Kerr has put the best cross in, at least this time someone got on the end of it!

If we score the clear chances we have and County score theirs, we win that game 2-0. Simple as that, but to lose the same way repeatedly is getting ridiculous and I’m wanting Davidson to call the players out on in. Very few of them are taking responsibility, Kerr, McCann and despite not today, McNamara are the only ones right now.

Hey Clark in pronto, he at least makes saves in games, despite making mistakes too. I’d rather he makes 5 saves and throws 1 in, rather than make no influence in a game.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Davidson's joab on the line? 

The idea that the "performances" are fine might relieve any heat.

The whole "playing well, once we get a goalscorer and stop conceding silly goals we'll be fine" mantra sends a shiver down my spine though. A decades worth of seeing fans on here claiming that about their relegation doomed sides makes you worry.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Exact same as I had under McCann - let's hope Callum can turn it around for you. 

The worry is he's not really learning.

We've been toothless all season yet all he's changed is a front 3 to a front 2, and we've continued to be toothless.

The fact hes not signed any natural wingers (Conway isn't anymore, so its now just MOH and Wotherspoon), suggests he doesnt intend on changing shape at all this season.

The worry is he's not really learning.
We've been toothless all season yet all he's changed is a front 3 to a front 2, and we've continued to be toothless.
The fact hes not signed any natural wingers (Conway isn't anymore, so its now just MOH and Wotherspoon), suggests he doesnt intend on changing shape at all this season.

I think it’s harsh to say he’s not learning, he’s changed the formation already and moved away from this perceived idea he’d rigidly stick to 5-2-3 already. He’s played exactly the same players Wright did, in exactly the same formation and they’ve let themselves down again. This is a team who finished last season absolutely flying and for whatever reason they haven’t started this season. Now whilst Davidson has a responsibility to get the best out of them and motivate them, the players need to take a long look in the mirror. These same players were scoring goals and creating chances last season and they aren’t just yet.

You’re going into over-analyse panic mode again and there’s no need for it. He’s a young manager who’s managed 8 senior games and you’re on the verge of writing him off. That’s ludicrous.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're just an abysmal attacking side. Our managers built a system that relies on quality crosses from out wide, a big target in the box, and players capable of winning second balls, when it seems like we have none of those.

I was coming on to say something has to change. Our philosophy seems to be built on getting it wide and crosses into the box. Either that has to go or we need to sign a big striker to get on the end of things, although the quality of crosses needs to improve too.  Don’t know if the manager thought we would counter attacking a lot but that hasn’t happened, we’ve had a lot of the ball.

I'm always frustrated at full-time in recent weeks, then I come on here and read what, in my view, is a significant overreaction and that cheers me up.

A new manager who will be given the time to make the tweaks he needs, whether the knicker-wetters like it or not. 

16 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

May getting slated on the St. Johnstone Banter page. Thought he provided a lot more than Hendry today.

I didn't see may do anything other than one tidy dummy run. 

There was a spell where he tried the same shite drag back twice in a minute and lost the ball both times, although I think he just about got a foul with the second. 

Fair enough hendry didn't do much either. 

I'll wait forever for May to come good. Doesn't mean he has. 

1 minute ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I didn't see may do anything other than one tidy dummy run. 

There was a spell where he tried the same shite drag back twice in a minute and lost the ball both times, although I think he just about got a foul with the second. 

Fair enough hendry didn't do much either. 

I'll wait forever for May to come good. Doesn't mean he has. 

Thought he was involved in a lot of the better passing movements and managed to get one or two half-decent crosses into the box as well. I realise that he's a striker and those shouldn't be his main duties, but I did think he provided more than Hendry today.

22 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Great 3 points for County, we've a tough run if fixtures coming up so the clean sheet is welcomed too. 

Must admit I'd thought Doohan would have been given a go tiday, was Laidlaw okay? 

Had very little to deal with, bar the Davidson shot that was right at him.

Donaldson and Iacovitti were immense this afternoon, although St Johnstone pretty much played right into their hands with a series of aimless punts into the box.

Vigurs is also such an asset when he actually uses his experience to the team's advantage and today was an example of that. That boy knows how to win a free-kick.

I wouldn't say anyone played poorly, but I do hope Randall is fine for Aberdeen as Watson is no longer a right-back.

After the dissapointment of the 0-5 defeat against Celtic we needed to get back on track and get at least a point. To get all 3 and to keep a clean sheet was a tremendous result and provides us with a bit of breathing space with some tough fixtures coming up. Well done Ross County.

Edited by silver

5 hours ago, silver said:

After the dissapointment of the 0-5 defeat against Celtic we needed to get back on track and get at least a point. To get all 3 and to keep a clean sheet was a tremendous result and provides us with a bit of breathing space with some tough fixtures coming up. Well done Ross County.

Europa Conference League train back on track.

23 hours ago, Ieuan16 said:

I wouldn't say anyone played poorly, but I do hope Randall is fine for Aberdeen as Watson is no longer a right-back.

Agreed on Watson- he's fine as a centre half in a two or three, but he's lost his pace and struggled to close down anyone wanting to put a cross in.