Cobra Kai Appreciation Thread

Booker-T

really enjoyed that (also posted on the other thread in the US TV forum)

I've finished season 1, will move on to binge the next episodes over the next few days after work.

Wasn't even a huge fan of the Karate Kid films when I was younger but I'm engrossed in this. Great blend of nostalgia wanking vs. comparisons with modern day, not been ham fisted with it.

I'm not a full on "lol ur a SJW" type or the opposite (an SJW?) but I think it's also managed to steer clear of heavy handed political messages one way or another, and just focuses on trying to deliver a fairly straightforward story. It's pandering to folk of a certain era (that rocky 3 reference was brilliant, I really want a firebird now etc. etc.) right enough, but it's doing it well.

• 1 year later...

It's mentioned in the Netflix thread but this nostalgia fest warrants it own thread IMHO. 

Love how they've messed with the roles so that Daniel is often a nippy c**t and despite behind a reprehensible dinosaur you can't help cheering on Johnny. 

Mrs Par wants me to get her a Cobra Kai hoodie too so if you've any links to any non-shitey suppliers it would be appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

It's mentioned in the Netflix thread but this nostalgia fest warrants it own thread IMHO. 

Love how they've messed with the roles so that Daniel is often a nippy c**t and despite behind a reprehensible dinosaur you can't help cheering on Johnny. 

Mrs Par wants me to get her a Cobra Kai hoodie too so if you've any links to any non-shitey suppliers it would be appreciated. 

Daniel was always a nippy c***. Team Johnny. Cobra Kai and Barry are the two best US series of recent times.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No idea what it is m8, but Im here for your avatar. 

You should snuggle down one evening with Mrs Mullarkey and watch the film she's from. The Love Witch. Something for everyone. Lots of smoking and incredibly attractive witches getting their kit off all the time. And murdering their husbands. 

4 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

You should snuggle down one evening with Mrs Mullarkey and watch the film she's from. The Love Witch. Something for everyone. Lots of smoking and incredibly attractive witches getting their kit off all the time. And murdering their husbands. 

I saw that at the Edinburgh Film Festival in 2016. The director Anna Biller was there to take questions after it ended. There was a lone man sitting a few seats along from us wearing a long flasher-type coat. 

It's really weird and eccentric film but it's one of those ones that lives long in the memory. Great 60s feel to it.

It seems to have amassed a cult following and I'm sure I saw it was on late on Film 4 a few months ago. I've been meaning to watch it again.

010597_1280x720_804224_144.thumb.jpg.154b904e9643f358bb8f00c30a2b7d36.jpg

It's sensational. Johnny is absolutely magnificent, and it's clever the way that Daniel is the one who can't move on from the past, despite having been infinitely more successful. His wife is an absolute wid too (I only just realised she is Sheldon's twin sister from TBBT).

The soundtrack is utterly magnificent too, and I've ended up in a bit of an REO Speedwagon loop over the last few days.