When Is It Acceptable To Physically Assault Someone?

Dee Man

10 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Defended a woman being dragged home by the hair one Saturday night by her husband, decked him, but then had to fend off her, it had f**k all to do with me apparently 

Would see this regularly when I lived in Glasgow City Centre. Worked in a few bars and closing time walking home down Sauchiehall St was always an interesting journey. Definitely made me think twice about jumping in to try and help anyone.

20 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Worked in a very busy At Andrews bar for a while and sadly it was before smartphones. If someone was being a dick, all it took was a wee nod to big Terry the bouncer. He’d remove the offender and with his shovel-sized hands, give them a hefty slap and advise them to modify their future behaviour. Great viewing. 

Worked in the Lismore in Partick for a while, generally didn't get many folk in there who were likely to turn violent after a few. Only time I seen it happen was when we refused to serve one boy and he tried to grab the girl who had knocked him back, one of the regulars, old guy in his 70's, in one glorious movement pulled the boy away from the bar, hooked him square on the nose, picked him up off his arse,  told him to f**k off or there would be more coming, then turned back round to sip at his whisky as if nothing had happened. The guy who'd been decked just wandered off stunned.

As a youngster, someone nicked a Walkman from my room. Had a pretty good idea who had done it and not long after I cycled by him. He was listening to my Walkman. He knew what was going to happen and so did I. He braced for it and took it like a man.

Edited by Shandön Par

49 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

As a youngster, someone nicked a Walkman from my room. Had a pretty good idea who had done it not long after I cycled by him. He was listening to my Walkman. He knew what was going to happen and so did I. He braced for it and took it like a man.

Settle doon, Ryan Idol. 

10 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Obviously it's ok to beat people up if they hold the wrong opinions. 

Ah yes, who can forget the far right's commitment to the marketplace of ideas when they were smashing up any political opposition they didn't like with paramilitaries during the 1920s, before putting them in concentration camps and putting millions of them to death in an industrialised genocide. 

It's just like getting punched in the street for being a racist right enough.  

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has anyone on here ever actually got in a fight over someone being racist or abusive?

On 22/08/2020 at 13:04, NotThePars said:

Not the same but last year a lassie and myself ended up in an altercation with some Tommy Robinson supporter on the bus that went on a good 15 minutes before he eventually got off. As soon as those bus doors closed some auld lad fired up the back, sat next to the young woman involved and started giving it all the patter. "Aye, honestly hen, one more second and I would've sorted him out an then he would've got what he was asking for!"

Big respect to the guy honestly. 

Closest I've been TBH (to be honest)

50 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Just as well most of us are miles apart communicating on phones or laptops otherwise the weekends in here would be a massive bar fight, a P&B royal rumble.

Who would win?

Definitely not Slippy. One left hook he'd be SleepinSlippy. 

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has anyone on here ever actually got in a fight over someone being racist or abusive?

Got a shock moving schools living in England. Had been happy at me first school but parents split and I moved schools. Until then I wasn't aware I was a Scottish ****. Really miserable existence having all the boys in the class being horrible to you for being different. Hopefully the pasting they took one breaktime made them better citizens. 

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Does anyone *not* believe in the use of violence for self defence? It’s surely a question of where the line is drawn.

Jesus advocates turning the other cheek, so him. 

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I rather liked the tale of a guy who burgled an old guys house thinking he would be a soft target only to be knocked out by the old guy...who was a former boxer.

Different but similar

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-crime-cardiff-tremorfa-sainsburys-17774842

My record in fights is around 50% of single figures. They've all been self defence apart from one where i was trying to make a big tower of empty cans and my mate kept knocking them down. That wasn't really a proper fight though. 

Let's not forget that the exact same people who express concern at Nazis being punched in the face were also clutching their pearls during the very brief craze of launching milkshakes at them instead a few years ago. It's almost as if the gesture itself is irrelevant and they're just desperate to play the 'well accccshually' devil's advocate role on behalf of racist scumbags. 

It's all very tedious stuff.