The Monday Night Football Thread

lichtie23

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Mahomes was the only QB I wanted from that draft, but only on the proviso he sat for a year behind Rivers. I didn't want to take him at #7 but was hoping we might have traded back up to take him later in the 1st. Instead we've gotten a WR who can't get open at any depth on the field, is injury prone, and can only be used as a downfield jump-ball target :1eye

Chargers boards are raging about Lynn right now, but I see our GM as a much bigger issue. Eight drafts and FA periods later and our OL is still the total shambles it was and has been ever since he arrived. We're still perpetually the most injured team in the league, and it's shocking the number of our own picks who don't get a second contract. He's really boom or bust, the problem is there's nothing that actually sticks between his boom and bust picks.

It was hard to gauge Mahomes playing against the sometimes laughable defenses in the Big 12 (and I'm a Big 12 fan and graduate of a Big 12 school), which was why I was skeptical about trading up to 10 after watching him at Tech all those years. The doubters like myself didn't put enough stock into the fact he was basically playing with nothing around him and solely willing Tech to wins or being competitive. As opposed to some quarterbacks like Burrow or any Alabama QB, who essentially played on junior NFL teams in college.

On another note, when Randall Cunningham was healthy, he was one of the most fun quarterbacks to watch when he scrambled. Athletic as heck and a ridiculous arm. If he had been born 15 years later he might have been a Hall of Famer.

I don't like the Chiefs too much nowadays.

As soon as we finally get Hoyer out of the game, the defense loses his magic. A game I had little faith in winning has turned into a shit state of affairs where we really should be well in front. Gotta love the gridiron.

Bradley with yet another fucking inexcusable laugher

The Chargers keep blowing two and three score leads, can't win one score games, and the constant theme is Bradley sitting in a fucking cover three and rushing only 3 and 4 at the QB as soon as the Chargers have a lead. It's an embarrassment at this point. We could score 50 and he'd somehow find a way to give up 55. Rushes three against Brady last week, TD to Evans. Rushes Brees with three in the 4th Q today, result = TD pass on 3rd and 15. 

How the f**k this guy is still in the job is a mystery.

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Bradley with yet another fucking inexcusable laugher

The Chargers keep blowing two and three score leads, can't win one score games, and the constant theme is Bradley sitting in a fucking cover three and rushing only 3 and 4 at the QB as soon as the Chargers have a lead. It's an embarrassment at this point. We could score 50 and he'd somehow find a way to give up 55. Rushes three against Brady last week, TD to Evans. Rushes Brees with three in the 4th Q today, result = TD pass on 3rd and 15. 

How the f**k this guy is still in the job is a mystery.

Some of that has to fall on Lynn. He can part ways with Bradley any time.

Same with Andy Reid and Bob Sutton a few years back. He should have parted with Sutton prior to the 2017 season, but he kept him around and it likely cost the Chiefs a Super Bowl in 18.

Lynn is inherently conservative, and he's talked over and over about how stability and minimising disruption were the keys to this season, what with the pandemic and uncertain schedule etc. The Chargers haven't had one single opt-out or positive covid test to date, so they've had it as good as anybody in that regard, but the results speak for themselves. When you consistently play to whatever the level of the opponent put in front of you, can't play a complete 60 minutes of football, and always do just enough to lose by one score, when it's a recurring theme over a number of seasons then you can only conclude that it's the coaching staff. Bradley has been here just as long as Lynn, and while I agree with you that ultimately Lynn calls the shots so should be having his collar felt, it's Bradley's defense that consistently blows huge leads, stupidly sits off HoF calibre QB's in zone as if that's going to confuse them somehow, and is persistently near the bottom of the league in sack and turnovers despite having talents like Bosa, Ingram, James, Heyward and a handful of other 1st and 2nd round picks available. I've never seen a DC that does absolutely nothing with so much talent, except sit in Cover 3 and Cover 2 all day and wait for the O to screw up. 

In the first half of Philip Rivers' career in SD we had Wade Phillips as DC. We continued using his aggressive 3-4 after he left, apart from a one half season brain-fart under Ted Washington. Until 2010 or so the Chargers regularly won games against Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, etc because the Chargers always had enough talent on the D side of the ball to give them headaches, Phillips' scheme went after the QB no matter who he was, and the O was more than capable of keeping up with those guys. Persistently garbage OL really hampered the second half of Rivers' time in SD/LA, but one other factor in the drop-off of the competitiveness of this franchise long-term is that they no longer consistently take a game to the better QB'd teams around because despite having plenty of D talent, Bradley in particular just refuses to scheme to use it. Honorable mentions aside, Baltimore in the WC round 2 years ago and GB last season, although the former was as much due to Jackson's limitations, and Rodgers had a surprising off day in LA last year. But the constant theme is the total lack of aggression and playmaking. It's the same when we play garbage teams, only we get away with it because the zone is enough to stifle teams with lesser players, and the DL has enough talent to harass the QB when they are playing poor OL's. Totally different story when Bradley's up against competent offenses.

Edited by Boo Khaki