The Monday Night Football Thread

lichtie23

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Jackson still plays like a rookie in so many ways. If the primary read isn't wide-open he just wants to tuck it and run. Still has no touch on passes outside the numbers either. It's all very Mike Vick MkII

If Jackson was forced to become a pocket passer he would be out of the league - or the very least never be a QB1 very quickly.  

10/10 first half from the Chiefs and a 7/10 second. This team can definitely go 19-0 this season. Absolutely loaded with talent. Even after that loss I’d still say the Ravens are the number 2 team in the league. Steelers might have something to say about that but I think the Ravens beat them twice this season

Good thing about working from home is I can watch this on the tablet whilst working. Approaching half time and it seems like an absolute walk in the park for Mahomes and the Chiefs. It's not even funny how good they are. 

If Jackson was forced to become a pocket passer he would be out of the league - or the very least never be a QB1 very quickly.  

You saw the gulf last night between a proper QB and a running back playing QB.

Ok Maholmes is special, believe me it’s hard saying that, but you see him running only when needed. Whereas Jackson’s first thought is to run, when he can’t run unless the guy is wide open he’s lost.

For me, Jackson is a faster tim tebow.

As for Maholmes I will sit and cry for the next 10-15 years while he tears defences all over the league.

59 minutes ago, steelmen said:

As for Maholmes I will sit and cry for the next 10-15 years while he tears defences all over the league.

Yeah just finished watching the game last night and thought similar to your post. Really disappointed with Jackson last night and you can clearly see the gulf between him and Mahomes. The Chiefs will (surely) skoosh the AFC and probably win the SB again. They are staggeringly good all over the place.

8 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Then the Ravens have a problem. It's still first and foremost a passing league, so to have any real hope of sustained success you need a guy under center who can read a defense and make throws to all parts of the field. Jackson is spectacular and entertaining, just like Michael Vick was in the first half of his career, but I honestly think Vick was a better QB (though still nowhere near elite),  later on once he stayed in the pocket longer, went through his reads properly, and only ran as a last resort. The same was true with Randall Cunningham. He was actually a pretty effective pocket passer once he tempered the urge to take off with it constantly. 

KC is not a particularly tough D, so it's difficult to fathom how a QB capable of winning a League MVP title could only put up the sort of passing performance Jackson came away with last night. Drops were obviously a factor, but that aside, you are not going to compete with a team that can score 30+ regularly with a QB who wont stay in the pocket and make downfield throws. Jackson ran himself into two sacks last night simply because he has no pocket awareness or presence. When I say he still plays like a rookie, it's not strictly because of feeble passing numbers, it's because he still routinely does things that you'd expect out of a late-round rookie, or more to the point, doesn't do the things that you'd expect out of a 1st round QB in his third season. There's hope for him yet, but I'm sceptical.

11 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

As a Chiefs fan I'm still amazed we drafted Mahomes, who in a decade might be the best quarterback in the history of the game.

Mahomes was the only QB I wanted from that draft, but only on the proviso he sat for a year behind Rivers. I didn't want to take him at #7 but was hoping we might have traded back up to take him later in the 1st. Instead we've gotten a WR who can't get open at any depth on the field, is injury prone, and can only be used as a downfield jump-ball target :1eye

Chargers boards are raging about Lynn right now, but I see our GM as a much bigger issue. Eight drafts and FA periods later and our OL is still the total shambles it was and has been ever since he arrived. We're still perpetually the most injured team in the league, and it's shocking the number of our own picks who don't get a second contract. He's really boom or bust, the problem is there's nothing that actually sticks between his boom and bust picks.