Live Streaming of Championship Games

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Think some clubs are still trying to work out if they are going to go ahead with PPV what the charges will be due to season tickets already been sold by their clubs , it’s a tricky one I think 

Theres an argument that selling PPV for less than the average per match price of a season ticket devalues the season ticket. I can see where that comes from, but I personally dont agree. The season ticket will get you entry to  games, at some point (hopefully!) just like other seasons. Clubs arent selling a streaming only season ticket.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

At the risk of insulting you again, how do you know there is silence from the SPFL? I dont think the issue for most clubs is infrastructure either, its more about which of the available options is best.

The SPFL are providing a central system for streaming matches. It, however, is not compulsory and is likely not the best fit for all clubs, particularly those like Raith who have already been streaming overseas matches. The SPFL system isnt finalised and until it is, its difficult for clubs to make decisions apart from those who already know they're not going to use the it. Even then with no official confirmation on PPV, these clubs cant announce everything.

Pixellot arent monetising anything. The install of the Pixellot cameras, at Championship grounds, has been paid for through the SPFL, although not actually for streaming matches. If clubs sign up to the SPFL centralised streaming service, there is a cost for that.

Ive seen overseas streaming mentioned a couple of times, from what Ive seen there is no change to previous seasons.

The “insult” was simply that I was a bit annoyed you misrepresented (in my opinion) my position, that’s all. Thin skins don’t last here.

”Knowing” was a statement based upon comments from people connected to streaming with two clubs, since you have more information, I will gladly wave that data forward. Your information makes sense, as does the “isnt finalised”, even of that is exactly a concern.

So Pixellot systems have been bought by the SPFL and will have a maintenance and support contract, which is where they get their share. You mention the SPFL system costing, do you know if that is a SPFL internal unit or a contracted service?

I share your hope on overseas streaming, but it is the SPFL.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Even if clubs try to sell PPV will their price point be realistic? If it was a choice between paying £10 for a 90 minute stream of a Championship match (either Morton or the home team hosting) or the usual highlights job plus an afternoon with Jeff and the boys then it'd be the latter for me every single time. I don't think that would change unless it was something like a fiver per game which I very much doubt is what clubs intend to charge.

The guilt-trip effect for fans who don't have another mechanism for sustaining their club right now will account for some uptake but I think the novelty of streamed PPV games would wear off very quickly at this level. 

Yep I think your spot on there, it will probably wear off after 1 game, I mean I'll watch the home games as I can with the season ticket but I very much doubt I'll pay to watch many away games especially if it's around the £10-20 mark, some games I may opt to do it but as you say, Jeff & the boys would be the most likely option. It's bad enough watching the standard of football in our division in the flesh never mind on a telly with no crowd noise and some haddie commentating.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

The “insult” was simply that I was a bit annoyed you misrepresented (in my opinion) my position, that’s all. Thin skins don’t last here.

”Knowing” was a statement based upon comments from people connected to streaming with two clubs, since you have more information, I will gladly wave that data forward. Your information makes sense, as does the “isnt finalised”, even of that is exactly a concern.

So Pixellot systems have been bought by the SPFL and will have a maintenance and support contract, which is where they get their share. You mention the SPFL system costing, do you know if that is a SPFL internal unit or a contracted service?

I share your hope on overseas streaming, but it is the SPFL.

The SPFL system is a contracted service, theyre not physically setting up a streaming platform themselves

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

The SPFL system is a contracted service, theyre not physically setting up a streaming platform themselves

So that suggests that whatever is agreed in the Premiership would most likely be available to offer by lower level clubs, if they elected to, and they would price according to contract costs plus what they consider appropriate. I think someone said all but two top level clubs are offering PPV, does that sound right? As you’ve noted the individual costs of offering individual PPV, once the ST stream is set up, are pretty small (and even a little extra cash is extra cash). Well, hopefully the SPFL doesn’t bollox this up too.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So that suggests that whatever is agreed in the Premiership would most likely be available to offer by lower level clubs, if they elected to, and they would price according to contract costs plus what they consider appropriate. I think someone said all but two top level clubs are offering PPV, does that sound right? As you’ve noted the individual costs of offering individual PPV, once the ST stream is set up, are pretty small (and even a little extra cash is extra cash). Well, hopefully the SPFL doesn’t bollox this up too.

I dont know how many Premiership clubs are offering PPV and I think theres a bit more to the pricing but other than that, yes, that sounds reasonable

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I dont know how many Premiership clubs are offering PPV.

Everyone but Celtic.

Pricing is up to the clubs really.

Motherwell have offered season ticket holders refunds on next season if they renew, based on how many games they miss this season. This allowed them offer cheap PPV.

St Johnstone offered no discounts to season ticket holders if they missed games, only free PPV access, and have priced PPV to be £1 higher per match than a season ticket.

Not sure what the best approach is tbh.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hibs weren't. Have they now started?

They've announced they're doing it for "selected home games".

Screenshot_20200916-070607_Chrome.jpg.e5dc676a4f574a755ae22a7acb851d7e.jpg

Celtic haven't said this, and once again aren't letting their game at the weekend be bought via PPV.

On 14/09/2020 at 12:32, Skyline Drifter said:

Betfred Cup

Am I missing something? Permission was granted for the Betfred Cup albeit the practicalities of how it's actually done are not decided yet. Link above directly quotes Doncaster.

That said, Dunfermline promising that (and I'm aware they have promised it which I was surprised about at the time), means firstly that they'll have to rescind on the Falkirk one since it's live on Premier Sports and secondly that they'll have to pay their opponent a percentage of the "stream" revenue they would otherwise have got from the sale of the other game which is a bit mental. I think it's unlikely any other club will give it away free to season ticket holders. I wonder if they might just backtrack on that too.

The club have indeed now rescinded the Falkirk game offer, but are still showing the Clyde one.

https://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Important_information_for_Season_Ticket_holders_watching_home_games_this_coming_season&ID=12556

No details on if games are available to buy for non season ticket holders.

Here’s a summary table that RaithTV just put out...and noting that things can still change. Full statement at https://www.raithrovers.net/44893/raithtv-update.htm. Big note that season ticket holders attempting to use credentials to log in for multiple streams at once could result in loss of license to broadcast any games. No pricing yet.

“Availability of video and audio services
The table below summarises what is going to be available when the season begins. Some services may come from a different provider than RaithTV:

Live video (UK)
During COVID-19 restrictions
Live video (International) Audio pass Highlights
Friendlies (H) No No Yes Yes
Friendlies (A) No No No No
Betfred Cup (H) Yes* Yes * Yes Yes
Betfred Cup (A) TBC ** TBC ** TBC Yes
Championship (H) Yes *
(included with season ticket)
Yes Yes Yes
Championship (A) TBC ** TBC ** TBC Yes

* Non-televised games only

** Dependent of whether home clubs offer a PPV option through a broadcast partner and whether the game is televised”

Here’s a summary table that RaithTV just put out...and noting that things can still change. Full statement at https://www.raithrovers.net/44893/raithtv-update.htm. Big note that season ticket holders attempting to use credentials to log in for multiple streams at once could result in loss of license to broadcast any games. No pricing yet.

“Availability of video and audio services
The table below summarises what is going to be available when the season begins. Some services may come from a different provider than RaithTV:

Live video (UK)
During COVID-19 restrictions
Live video (International) Audio pass Highlights
Friendlies (H) No No Yes Yes
Friendlies (A) No No No No
Betfred Cup (H) Yes* Yes * Yes Yes
Betfred Cup (A) TBC ** TBC ** TBC Yes
Championship (H) Yes *
(included with season ticket)
Yes Yes Yes
Championship (A) TBC ** TBC ** TBC Yes

* Non-televised games only

** Dependent of whether home clubs offer a PPV option through a broadcast partner and whether the game is televised”

That's a nice summary. One small error (I think) in the wording of the betfred Cup games. It says streaming will stop if fans are allowed back in to grounds. As far as I know, the rules for the betfred are the same as the league, in that streaming to the UK will be allowed while restrictions are in place, which could include some fans.

Minor thing in the wording though and more importantly, unlikely to matter :(

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

That's a nice summary. One small error (I think) in the wording of the betfred Cup games. It says streaming will stop if fans are allowed back in to grounds. As far as I know, the rules for the betfred are the same as the league, in that streaming to the UK will be allowed while restrictions are in place, which could include some fans.

Minor thing in the wording though and more importantly, unlikely to matter :(

Here’s the wording from the statement, it seems clearer and in line with what you say (highlights my own):

“Betfred Cup
The current intention is for RaithTV to provide a live video stream for home games that are not televised live by Premier Sports, whilst games have to played behind closed doors. A game can be purchased for a competitive price both domestically (anywhere in the UK) and internationally. Pricing details will be shared closer to the start of the competition. Alternatively, an audio-only pass will also be available that will be free for season ticket holders and for a low cost to non-season ticket holders. Domestic live video streaming is allowed in competitive games on a temporary basis only while COVID-19 restrictions are in place. If restrictions are lifted and supporters are allowed into games then the option for clubs to do this will be removed by the SPFL and our live service will revert to the same as previous seasons (Video/Audio abroad, Audio-Only within the UK).”

Stenhousemuir have put the Pixellot footage from their friendly the other night on Facebook

I hope our home games have a lot of rain. The glare from that pitch makes it pretty unwatchable for me. Depending on the placement of our camera I fear it could be the same for me if it's a sunny day at Palmerston.

I watched the Montrose v Dundee friendly on Saturday which used the Pixellot cameras.

It was...OK. I found it difficult to make out who was who when play was on the far side, and the AI seemingly got confused just before we scored our penalty because it started tracking a second ball that had found its way onto the other end of the pitch.