Live Streaming of Championship Games

On 14/09/2020 at 22:48, Mr X said:

Theres an argument that selling PPV for less than the average per match price of a season ticket devalues the season ticket. I can see where that comes from, but I personally dont agree. The season ticket will get you entry to  games, at some point (hopefully!) just like other seasons. Clubs arent selling a streaming only season ticket.

They might be. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I watched the Montrose v Dundee friendly on Saturday which used the Pixellot cameras.

It was...OK. I found it difficult to make out who was who when play was on the far side, and the AI seemingly got confused just before we scored our penalty because it started tracking a second ball that had found its way onto the other end of the pitch.

That sounds a bit like our defence last season.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
I hope our home games have a lot of rain. The glare from that pitch makes it pretty unwatchable for me. Depending on the placement of our camera I fear it could be the same for me if it's a sunny day at Palmerston.

We're not using the pixellot cameras

OK, so that’s QoS and Raith in the Championship that are using their own cameras and not the Pixellot feed. Who else has their own TV setup?

Edited by TxRover

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

OK, so that’s QoS and Raith in the Championship that are using their own cameras and not the Pixellot feed. Who else has their own TV setup?

Hearts and Dunfermline already have their own setups, so them definitely. At a guess, I would think anyone whos filmed and produced highlights would be at least considering it. So Ayr, Alloa, ICT, Dundee ????

Remember, though, the domestic and international streaming may be different

14 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

The original reason that the Cameras were installed IIRC was for Betting Streams internationally. I think the premiership clubs were too worried about pirated streams so the SPFL made up for it by adding Championship games and paying for the Cameras to be installed.

Almost. The cameras were installed by the betting partner but not for international streams. As far as I know it had nothing to do with pirated streams, its so the betting partner gets updates on the games as quickly as possible

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

We do have our own "Dee TV" setup in place, but we are also getting the Pixellot cameras installed. So make of that what you will.

As noted above, the Pixellot is “independent” of any captive TV setup, located at ALL Championship grounds and is used for gambling feeds...but could be used by a club to stream through a SPFL gateway, per Mr. X. We are pretty sure between four and eight Championship teams are able to stream games from their own equipment, although technical issues like Alloa having capacity concerns may be an issue. Pixellot cameras are also being installed at a number of League One and Two park’s.

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As noted above, the Pixellot is “independent” of any captive TV setup, located at ALL Championship grounds and is used for gambling feeds...but could be used by a club to stream through a SPFL gateway, per Mr. X. We are pretty sure between four and eight Championship teams are able to stream games from their own equipment, although technical issues like Alloa having capacity concerns may be an issue. Pixellot cameras are also being installed at a number of League One and Two park’s.

Which is different again!! Those clubs have paid for their cameras and have, again as far as I know, been installed specifically for streaming games to fans.

52 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Almost. The cameras were installed by the betting partner but not for international streams. As far as I know it had nothing to do with pirated streams, its so the betting partner gets updates on the games as quickly as possible

Ah, that would make more sense.  

This is why I thought it was international betting partners:
https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/img-finalises-spfl-betting-rights-deal-as-pixellot-technology-added/

4 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Ah, that would make more sense.  

This is why I thought it was international betting partners:
https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/img-finalises-spfl-betting-rights-deal-as-pixellot-technology-added/

So either Im wrong or the article is wrong, or its written to hide the true purpose :lol:

Probably a little of all three!

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So either Im wrong or the article is wrong, or its written to hide the true purpose :lol:

Probably a little of all three!

The stream IMG get is 360p.... It's not a very good quality to watch. They're just wanting accurate match events as soon as they happen.

Maybe someone somewhere is watching at that but it's truly third world...

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Which is different again!! Those clubs have paid for their cameras and have, again as far as I know, been installed specifically for streaming games to fans.

Yea, I should have specified that.

Any idea about possible stream quality? Given:

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

The stream IMG get is 360p.... It's not a very good quality to watch. They're just wanting accurate match events as soon as they happen.

Maybe someone somewhere is watching at that but it's truly third world...

It doesn’t sound like that level would make for good viewing PPV at the League One and Two level. Surely it can be HD.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Yea, I should have specified that.

Any idea about possible stream quality? Given:

It doesn’t sound like that level would make for good viewing PPV at the League One and Two level. Surely it can be HD.

That's what I'm saying there's an HD feed for the clubs. IMG's though is only 360p.

No idea on quality of pixellot or any other streams!
Any word yet on what exactly will/will not be broadcast from QOS?

Nice to hear we are using our own cameras.
In what sense? They've announced they'll stream to season ticket holders and league rules mean it will only be home games. No one has announced any ppv yet
That's what I'm saying there's an HD feed for the clubs. IMG's though is only 360p.
You know more about this than me but if there are separate streams it seems odd there are issue's with adding commentary

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You know more about this than me but if there are separate streams it seems odd there are issue's with adding commentary

It's something I need to ask but I think what they're doing is almost splitting the channel. 360p to IMG and full quality to clubs. Both the same stream though... Just with reduced quality so if you were to add your commentary over the stream the 360p version would get that audio. It doesn't bother me. Ideal world you want both a clean copy and a commentary one.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

It's something I need to ask but I think what they're doing is almost splitting the channel. 360p to IMG and full quality to clubs. Both the same stream though... Just with reduced quality so if you were to add your commentary over the stream the 360p version would get that audio. It doesn't bother me. Ideal world you want both a clean copy and a commentary one.

That isnt how it was explained to me but, like you Im not bothered :lol: