Live Streaming of Championship Games

As the season starts in 3 weeks time with the Cup matches, any news on how folk can subscribe/watch matches? Personally, I want to watch Morton v Queens, Tuesday October 6th. (I'm dubious if Morton are sufficiently technically advanced to broadcast a match but hope springs eternal)

3 hours ago, JessieField said:

As the season starts in 3 weeks time with the Cup matches, any news on how folk can subscribe/watch matches? Personally, I want to watch Morton v Queens, Tuesday October 6th. (I'm dubious if Morton are sufficiently technically advanced to broadcast a match but hope springs eternal)

Can fans pay to view live streaming on a match to match basis?

This is still to be confirmed, but it is likely that this will be sanctioned by the SPFL pre the league start.

https://gmfc.net/2020/07/27/streaming-live-games-for-season-ticket-holders/

We have the technology, it arrived a few weeks ago, whether or not we can actually stream a game successfully is a whole other matter. 

We struggle when our site gets 20 hits when we release a news story so I'm not expecting much. 

6 minutes ago, madton said:

We have the technology, it arrived a few weeks ago, whether or not we can actually stream a game successfully is a whole other matter. 

We struggle when our site gets 20 hits when we release a news story so I'm not expecting much. 

You have the cameras. The streaming fibre isn't installed yet (or if it is then it was only installed last week, they are working round the Championship on that this fortnight).

14 minutes ago, madton said:

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You have the cameras. The streaming fibre isn't installed yet (or if it is then it was only installed last week, they are working round the Championship on that this fortnight).

Dont have a platform to stream it with either, unless Morton are doing their own thing.

Still, two out of three isnt bad :lol:

6 hours ago, JessieField said:

I think its safe to say that the clubs will announce how you can watch games when they know how, or if, you can watch games.

As things stand most, if not all, clubs in the Championship have already said they will stream home games to season ticket holders. Whether or not non-season ticket holders will be able to pay-per-view or the cup games will be streamed is unknown. Id say the former is likely, the latter ... who knows?

55 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Was speaking to a Dunfermline fan the other day who was saying that the streaming of matches is part of their season ticket deal - is that right?

The streaming of HOME matches is part of everyone's season ticket deal at all clubs as far as I know, although most if not all are not providing it to child season ticket holders.

It doesn't cover away matches and indeed, there is at this point no guarantee that away matches will be available on an individual purchase basis. That will only happen once the SPFL gives formal permission for it and if the home club chooses to sell it (which they don't have to).

EDITED to add: Mr X literally already said that in the post above yours though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

As mentioned above, we have the equipment for this installed but no1 has any idea how they are planning to stream it, there has been chat that a new website is in the works which will be used for this, there has also been some chat that You Tube could be used, feck knows, we'll make a right arse of it, that we have no doubts! 

45 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

As mentioned above, we have the equipment for this installed but no1 has any idea how they are planning to stream it, there has been chat that a new website is in the works which will be used for this, there has also been some chat that You Tube could be used, feck knows, we'll make a right arse of it, that we have no doubts! 

Youtube would be tricky if clubs wanted to sell PPV streams. The SPFL rules are pretty clear about streams being protected behind some kind of login. It could work for season ticket holders only, as they've already paid but it would take a fair bit of manual setup, so its far from ideal.

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Youtube would be tricky if clubs wanted to sell PPV streams. The SPFL rules are pretty clear about streams being protected behind some kind of login. It could work for season ticket holders only, as they've already paid but it would take a fair bit of manual setup, so its far from ideal.

Yeah I think it'll be a website created for this or it might be a totally brand new Morton Official website that will have a separate login section for the games being streamed, I'm not 100% sure. I've not had any emails or that from the club since buying my season ticket a few month ago, not that I'm surprised.

Pretty sure clubs/SPFL will allow a PPV option for non season ticket holders / away fans, it would be utterly stupid not to.

Edited by M0rtonfc

9 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Yeah I think it'll be a website created for this or it might be a totally brand new Morton Official website that will have a separate login section for the games being streamed, I'm not 100% sure. I've not had any emails or that from the club since buying my season ticket a few month ago, not that I'm surprised.

Pretty sure clubs/SPFL will allow a PPV option for non season ticket holders / away fans, it would be utterly stupid not to.

I think you're right. I think clubs will either use the SPFL setup or they'll do their own thing using similar systems to those the likes of Raith and Dunfermline have been using for years.

Again, I think you're right, and the SPFL will allow PPV. Having done so for the Premiership its hard to see how they could argue against it. However, as SD pointed out, it will still be up to the individual clubs to decide if they want to or not.

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Was speaking to a Dunfermline fan the other day who was saying that the streaming of matches is part of their season ticket deal - is that right?

Live streams of the home Betfred cup matches are included. Problem is that I believe your not allowed to stream if a TV company are showing the game live. Our home game with Falkirk is being shown live on Premier sports, so what we advertised won't be an option for that game.

Streams of home matches is what all clubs will have to offer their season ticket holders in the near future until we gain access to grounds.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can I take it then that you don't have your fibre either? Getting more agitated each week as the fibre for me is the main component. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You can't do it on Youtube as anyone can share url's. You could use Vimeo.

I toyed with the idea of doing an all-in-one with alloaathleticfootball.club

The problem is then just managing capacity. Again I have a rough idea how to manage something like that but there are so many unknowns we've decided against doing it ourselves. 

14 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Live streams of the home Betfred cup matches are included. Problem is that I believe your not allowed to stream if a TV company are showing the game live. Our home game with Falkirk is being shown live on Premier sports, so what we advertised won't be an option for that game.

Streams of home matches is what all clubs will have to offer their season ticket holders in the near future until we gain access to grounds.

As it stands no permission has been given to stream the Betfred Cup games, so if thats what Dunfermline have promised they've been a bit premature

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can I take it then that you don't have your fibre either? Getting more agitated each week as the fibre for me is the main component. 

No, no we dont

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

You can't do it on Youtube as anyone can share url's. You could use Vimeo.

I toyed with the idea of doing an all-in-one with alloaathleticfootball.club

The problem is then just managing capacity. Again I have a rough idea how to manage something like that but there are so many unknowns we've decided against doing it ourselves. 

You can use youtube if you set the stream to private, but you have to manually input all of the email addresses.

I dont think any clubs at this level could handle the OTT side on their own website. There are plenty of other sites available, like Vimeo, as  you say. Im not keen on their pricing structure.