Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

4 hours ago, virginton said:

There's absolutely no justification for building a train station on the fastest route between the two largest cities in the country, just to serve a glorified council estate in West Lothian.

While we're dealing with nonsense plastic settlements, demolish Bishopton and make the inhabitants slither to Glasgow instead. 

Ooohhh you’re soo edgy 

Winchburgh is another new town, the original village will be completely swallowed up by all the developments. And it would be wrong if it was left to be 100% car dependent in this day & age

don’t like the idea of large new developments, tough, it’s already half built. It should have a train station  

11 hours ago, strichener said:

"glorified council estate" 🤣

image.jpeg.75177309ad0b4bb6201a8ceca93ca3a6.jpeg

image.jpeg.cf67ce45381106a3b7e8388e38d7878d.jpeg

Well yes, the glorified council estates normally do have much higher house prices, to convince the parents of Jacob and Emma-Rose that their precious sprogs will never have to mix with the C1 social class or *gasp* lower still. See also Bishopton. 

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Winchburgh is another new town, the original village will be completely swallowed up by all the developments. And it would be wrong if it was left to be 100% car dependent in this day & age

don’t like the idea of large new developments, tough, it’s already half built. It should have a train station  

It shouldn't have a train station on the main fast line between Glasgow and Edinburgh, just because West Lothian Council want to flog more overpriced land for housing. That would no longer be a fast line. 

If they want a train line then they can lobby for another pointless loop to be added to either of the two Livingston lines. 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well yes, the glorified council estates normally do have much higher house prices, to convince the parents of Jacob and Emma-Rose that their precious sprogs will never have to mix with the C1 social class or *gasp* lower still. See also Bishopton. 

Emma-Rose and Jacob sound fairly schemie names to me

It’ll need the train station. Otherwise at rush hour the car borne commuters will get precisely to the end of the slip road before joining the queue for Newbridge.

I don’t live there (thankfully) but if ever there was a locale with a more obvious case for cycle commuting into the Gayle/city centre, I’ve yet to see it. 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

It shouldn't have a train station on the main fast line between Glasgow and Edinburgh, just because West Lothian Council want to flog more overpriced land for housing. That would no longer be a fast line. 

If they want a train line then they can lobby for another pointless loop to be added to either of the two Livingston lines. 

It's not really that much of a fast line now anyway. Plenty of slower services already go along that line as well as the Edinburgh - Glasgow express. The trains out to Dunblane for example and the slow train to Glasgow QS via Cumbernauld. Timetabling the occasional service to stop there shouldn't cause massive issues though I doubt they would add another stop for the express trains although they now seem to call everywhere for some reason. So much for the 42 minute travel time between Edinburgh and Glasgow :rolleyes:

If they were concerned about it though they could position a station on the line towards Fife and build a link at Dalmeny to send trains back to Edinburgh and the hilariously awful Edinburgh Gateway station so you have a link to the airport.

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

It’ll need the train station. Otherwise at rush hour the car borne commuters will get precisely to the end of the slip road before joining the queue for Newbridge.

I don’t live there (thankfully) but if ever there was a locale with a more obvious case for cycle commuting into the Gayle/city centre, I’ve yet to see it. 

It’s on the canal so presumably you could cycle into town on the towpath 

or, better still, get a canoe

If they were concerned about it though they could position a station on the line towards Fife and build a link at Dalmeny to send trains back to Edinburgh and the hilariously awful Edinburgh Gateway station so you have a link to the airport.

That was originally planned as part of the electrification of the E&G. With 4 trains an hour getting sent that way to reduce the number of trains between Newbridge and Haymarket but got cancelled.

It’s a long established principle in this thread  that all infrastructure spending is a massive waste of public money except the bits in the same bit of the country as  the person posting because those  are vital and long overdue investments

We can now add that trains shouldn’t waste time stopping in places the poster is interested in going to

@virginton has a point but he doesn’t go far enough 

Falkirk doesn’t even have a football Stadium any more so we may as well have a non stop service from Haymarket to Queen Street 

30 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s a long established principle in this thread  that all infrastructure spending is a massive waste of public money except the bits in the same bit of the country as  the person posting because those  are vital and long overdue investments

We can now add that trains shouldn’t waste time stopping in places the poster is interested in going to

@virginton has a point but he doesn’t go far enough 

Falkirk doesn’t even have a football Stadium any more so we may as well have a non stop service from Haymarket to Queen Street 

I am not sure if that was deliberate or not. 🤣

15 minutes ago, strichener said:

I am not sure if that was deliberate or not. 🤣

It wasn't, but now you've quoted it, I guess I need to stand by it 

I'm not sure how that's going to work at Queen Street though, it'll probably need to be a rollercoaster looping round George square

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It wasn't, but now you've quoted it, I guess I need to stand by it 

I'm not sure how that's going to work at Queen Street though, it'll probably need to be a rollercoaster looping round George square

As long as it slows down a bit so people can jump off when they're passing wherever they want to get to it'll be fine.  Chuck a few mattresses down by the side of the track so people don't hurt themselves and there's no need to stop anywhere.

A few people will get injured over the course of the year but so be it.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s on the canal so presumably you could cycle into town on the towpath 

or, better still, get a canoe

I actually know quite a few people who have taken up canoeing in that part of the world. Not sure canoe commuting is really taking off though.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

As long as it slows down a bit so people can jump off when they're passing wherever they want to get to it'll be fine.  Chuck a few mattresses down by the side of the track so people don't hurt themselves and there's no need to stop anywhere.

A few people will get injured over the course of the year but so be it.

How about a series of travellators  side by side going at slower and slower speeds so you slow down to walking pace with each step?

My mates and I went to the Croy Tavern before the Caley v Clyde title decider in 2004.  We walked into the pub during a Celtic Rangers game, all wearing Caley tops.  For reference, our top that season looked like this

2002 2003 Inverness Caledonian Thistle Home Football Shirt 2XL

The entire pub stopped and stared at us for a good couple of seconds, it was very much the Western cliche of the jukebox and pool balls stopping.  Once they had realised we weren't Rangers fans we slunk into the back of the bar and had a few drinks - they had Buckfast on tap which us unworldly Highland lads had never seen before.  Celtic won with a last minute winner (they swept Rangers that season for the first time in a four game season I think) and I have never been so glad to see Celtic win anything - for those who don't know Croy is very much a Celtic town and the pub was basically a Celtic theme bar - the window had a Celtic badge emblazoned on it.

I've since heard that it shut down and was owned by various shady gangsters.  It's alleged to have been the venue of a murder and was possibly burned down for insurance money at one point.