Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread before but there are practical reasons about reopening the Edinburgh Suburban line, I think.

The fact that it's still there surely makes it a lot more plausible than building new infrastructure though.  The thread below that tweet does raise some issues - for example, bus travel is far quicker for some of these areas to the city centre rather than the train.  

I do think that having more public transport options in the big densely populated parts of the city can only be good though - places like Leith, Newington, Gorgie are all very busy places where people are far less likely to have cars.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread before but there are practical reasons about reopening the Edinburgh Suburban line, I think.

The fact that it's still there surely makes it a lot more plausible than building new infrastructure though.  The thread below that tweet does raise some issues - for example, bus travel is far quicker for some of these areas to the city centre rather than the train.  

With most "loop" lines there's some routes where it would be faster to cut through the middle than go round the outside. The river meant that Glasgow underground was probably an exception when I lived there but they've built the squinty bridge since then so maybe not any more.

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I do think that having more public transport options in the big densely populated parts of the city can only be good though - places like Leith, Newington, Gorgie are all very busy places where people are far less likely to have cars.

Which is fair enough but far too many of the buses in Edinburgh go through Princes Street and not everyone actually wants to go there. Maybe if they spread out the bus routes that would alleviate some of the crippling congestion that the city centre faces at times. Trains round the old sub could be one way of moving people round different parts of the city but I would surmise that CEC are less keen on that because they might lose revenue on the buses.

In the recent council elections the Greens said they would look at the case for reopening the sub but I would imagine that it would move at a glacial pace like the conversion of the old Meadowbank to Powderhall railway line to a shared path (Latest update for anyone interested - https://twitter.com/CllrScottArthur/status/1539511518068363265). An obvious thing to do given the numerous high density developments along the route coupled with the regeneration of Meadowbank. But several years on all we have is a feasibility study that CEC can barely bring themselves to look at.

It's incredible how anything gets done in this country given how slowly we move forward with developments.

Edited by RiG

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

It's incredible how anything gets done in this country given how slowly we move forward with developments.

I think stuff like this isn't really discussed when talking about the housing crisis and issues with infrastructure - it take so long to move big projects forward it's a wonder that anyone does anything.  It must be a blocker on a lot of things that could improve the country.  It's not a very 'sexy' discussion but it's probably more improtant than most of the inititiatives that get bandied about about by polliticians.

It is also probably a big contributor to the productivity crisis that is one of the major issues facing the UK but which no-one ever really talks about.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's probably been mentioned here before but is there a line connecting Polmadie depot to Central?

I'd like to see it turned into another  station for Hampden

It's on the Argyll line from places like Hamilton through Glasgow Central low level so your idea might work

It would only get you 2/3 of the way to Hampden though

If the SNP were actually serious about trying to meet climate targets and get cars off the road then it seems like an absolute no brainer to redevelop this track and open it for public use. As jambo_rocker says above, there’s an opportunity there to create connections to the tram stations as well. I imagine the loop would be well used by the general public and tourists alike.

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's on the Argyll line from places like Hamilton through Glasgow Central low level so your idea might work

Considering Kings Park is considered a station for Hampden I don't think that's a massive issue. 

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If the SNP were actually serious about trying to meet climate targets and get cars off the road then it seems like an absolute no brainer to redevelop this track and open it for public use. As jambo_rocker says above, there’s an opportunity there to create connections to the tram stations as well. I imagine the loop would be well used by the general public and tourists alike.

The southern suburbs aren't without their charms but it's difficult to envisage them being on many tourists' "must see" lists

40 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's the same distance as Haymarket to Tynecastle and slightly less than Haymarket to Murrayfield.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Maybe if they spread out the bus routes that would alleviate some of the crippling congestion that the city centre faces at times. Trains round the old sub could be one way of moving people round different parts of the city but I would surmise that CEC are less keen on that because they might lose revenue on the buses

I used to live near the old Blackford station, the line is still well used by freight and Nuclear waste.........at least thats what I assumed it was when I was walking home pished at 3am 😉

A study was done about 20 years ago and the costs for making safe and installing the old stations / getting appropriate rolling stock was really high vs the potential passenger numbers on the South Sub line. I dont think its anything to do with bus revenue loss.

There are buses that do a circle route, like the old 32 I used to get to Sighthill - but I agree, more non Princes St routes would be useful.

As a final point, the buses dont really cause congestion in the city centre - thats more on the roadworks at N Bridge, tramworks and...................by far the largest issue......cars.

19 minutes ago, thisal said:

It's the same distance as Haymarket to Tynecastle and slightly less than Haymarket to Murrayfield.

Which would be one of the benefits of opening the suburban line through Gorgie 

And is one of the reasons that Haymarket and Murrayfield are seperate tram stops 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Not a door to door service but you can break it up with a pint. Always impressed how quickly you get away from Wembley as they have about 10 trains lined up and they just fill them and go so Polmadie could be done up as part of any Hampden redevelopment as they will have space and multiple tracks in place.

Alternatively ordinary timetables should be suspended for 2 hours after Hampden events and have multiple trains lined up at Mount Florida.

Don't ask me where they get the spare rolling stock I'm the ideas man.