Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On 25/11/2022 at 13:05, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The numbers are "passenger entries, exits and interchanges" 
It's probably the interchanges that clinch the top 5 spot for Partick

Fewer people with be changing at Haymarket or Aberdeen

Just getting off, presumably...

• 1 month later...

Conservative MSP Miles Briggs has been going in hard on the state of Edinburgh's roads which, like so many around the country, are absolutely rotten at the moment. The pothole in his tweet below was never actually reported to the council for some reason. I reported it a few days ago and they've just responded to say it is not "categorised as not being a critical safety defect at the time of inspection". Slightly bizarre when you see the nick of it.

The potholes seem to be worse than ever in Edinburgh.  The Bankhead roundabout has a couple of huge ones that could clearly cause damage to a vehicle if someone didn't see it.

In my old house there as a nasty pothole right outside our driveway, we reported it and it was fixed but in the shittest way possible, someone came and dolloped in some asphalt.  We moved house soon after but I'd be amazed if that had lasted.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The potholes seem to be worse than ever in Edinburgh.  The Bankhead roundabout has a couple of huge ones that could clearly cause damage to a vehicle if someone didn't see it.

In my old house there as a nasty pothole right outside our driveway, we reported it and it was fixed but in the shittest way possible, someone came and dolloped in some asphalt.  We moved house soon after but I'd be amazed if that had lasted.

granted it's more Midlothian but there are some absolute monsters out at Straiton next to the roundabout by Dunelm. You'd lose your entire front tyre to them if you are caught out.

On 25/01/2023 at 09:57, ICTChris said:

Yeah Edinburgh roads at present are the worst they’ve been since I’ve lived here. Some of the potholes are beyond farcical.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

You can be 99.9% sure anyone driving along Charlotte Square having their axel snapped deserved it. 

Thanks in part to the one way system but also there being a big castle in the way Charlotte square is a choke point between traffic using over the dean bridge, Lothian road and queen Street 

So either you’re being extraordinarily misanthropic or you’ve not thought that through 

On 25/01/2023 at 09:44, RiG said:

Conservative MSP Miles Briggs has been going in hard on the state of Edinburgh's roads which, like so many around the country, are absolutely rotten at the moment. The pothole in his tweet below was never actually reported to the council for some reason. I reported it a few days ago and they've just responded to say it is not "categorised as not being a critical safety defect at the time of inspection". Slightly bizarre when you see the nick of it.

I know he's a Tory, but to describe your home town as the pothole capital of Europe is laughable. 

The self entitled c**t has probably never been anywhere outwith  Stockbridge or Morningside in Scotland in his puff.*

*The tax avoiding c**t might have a second home in Lower Largo or suchlike

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I know he's a Tory, but to describe your home town as the pothole capital of Europe is laughable. 

The self entitled c**t has probably never been anywhere outwith  Stockbridge or Morningside in Scotland in his puff.*

He’s from Perthshire, presumably to nobody’s surprise 

On 25/01/2023 at 09:44, RiG said:

I mean in terms of danger it's less than other places like on main roads, as this is off a junction to Charlotte Square which isn't a through route on that side of the street.

There's a limit to the amount of pothole repairs and resurfacing work that the council's funds can allow it to carry out though. They are also up against increasing vehicle weight and numbers, which for Edinburgh is an extra 200million vehicle miles driven when compared to 20 years ago.

On 29/01/2023 at 22:36, Ginaro said:

I mean in terms of danger it's less than other places like on main roads, as this is off a junction to Charlotte Square which isn't a through route on that side of the street.

There's a limit to the amount of pothole repairs and resurfacing work that the council's funds can allow it to carry out though. They are also up against increasing vehicle weight and numbers, which for Edinburgh is an extra 200million vehicle miles driven when compared to 20 years ago.

210 million of those 200 million are caused by their stupid one way systems that force you to drive 3 miles to go 100 yards.

Inverness Airport Railway Station scheduled to open tomorrow. Didn't realise it had been designed with a local timber plant in mind, hopefully the timber yard see sense and take up the opportunity. We should be using rail as much as possible to get lorries off our roads.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/5317213/inverness-airport-railway-station-your-questions-answered/

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Inverness Airport Railway Station scheduled to open tomorrow. Didn't realise it had been designed with a local timber plant in mind, hopefully the timber yard see sense and take up the opportunity. We should be using rail as much as possible to get lorries off our roads.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/5317213/inverness-airport-railway-station-your-questions-answered/

It's quicker for me to catch the same bus in Inverness that picks rail passengers up at Dalcross. I hope there are other reasons for it, otherwise it seems a hell of a waste of £40 million.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's quicker for me to catch the same bus in Inverness that picks rail passengers up at Dalcross. I hope there are other reasons for it, otherwise it seems a hell of a waste of £40 million.

How's it quicker? Just curious as google maps suggests a bus from Inverness Centre to the airport takes 41 minutes while a train from Inverness to Nairn (further away) takes only 16 mins. So factor in the fact that the airport station is closer than Nairn plus the 12 minute walk to the terminal - not sure how the bus is quicker.

33 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

How's it quicker? Just curious as google maps suggests a bus from Inverness Centre to the airport takes 41 minutes while a train from Inverness to Nairn (further away) takes only 16 mins. So factor in the fact that the airport station is closer than Nairn plus the 12 minute walk to the terminal - not sure how the bus is quicker.

Don't know where you're getting 41 minutes from, it's 24 minutes from Falcon Square on the 11 bus, and I'd say 12 minutes is optimistic for a half mile with luggage. Otherwise you're hanging on for a bus to arrive at the railway station. The direct bus is just easier for me.

The only time I'd use the train would probably be back to town after arriving on a late flight.

P.S. You probably spotted the slow bus that goes through Culloden.

Edited by welshbairn