Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

I googled Croy Tavern thinking I never knew there was a pub in Croy and wondering wtf you went there before a Caley game, then realised there's one near Glasgow too. This was one of the first things to pop up on google.

On 12/06/2017 at 07:33, ICTChris said:

The Longstone pub you are probably thinking of is the VIllage Inn.  I live near there and go running past it a lot, it is a bit of a hovel.  There's the Longstone Inn further down which doesn't look quite as bad but still not somewhere I would go.

I don't really go out to pubs that much but when I go to the football I often end up in complete shitholes.  Before the title winning ICT-Clyde game in 2004 me and about ten other Caley fans got the train to Croy and found the nearest pub, being the Croy Tavern.  We walked in, wearing red, white and blue tops, in themiddle of an Old Firm game.  There were a few tense moments when we realised we were basically in the most Celtic pub in the world :lol:  I've never been so glad to see Celtic win.  They also had Buckfast on tap so all good.

On 06/09/2022 at 09:56, RiG said:

....If they were concerned about it though they could position a station on the line towards Fife and build a link at Dalmeny to send trains back to Edinburgh and the hilariously awful Edinburgh Gateway station so you have a link to the airport....

Referred to as the Almond chord in rail enthusiast circles and has been actively explored as a possibility in the past:

img_15-1_30.jpg?itok=TQYo6XPN

The other potential advantage of building this is people in Fife being able to travel to Glasgow by rail without having to go into Edinburgh as far as Haymarket.

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

Sturgeon could never.

The inquiry is also somehow still ongoing as well.....

It would be a fucking lot cheaper and quicker if they just admit that everyone, at every stage, made a total cock of it until it was handed over to the bus company who seem to be running it just fine.

Nobody really gives a shite any more, and whatever is published isnt going to mean the next project wont be fucked up or even start when its need is clear (Glasgow Airport Rail Link for example).

On 06/09/2022 at 19:52, ICTChris said:

My mates and I went to the Croy Tavern before the Caley v Clyde title decider in 2004.  We walked into the pub during a Celtic Rangers game, all wearing Caley tops.  For reference, our top that season looked like this

2002 2003 Inverness Caledonian Thistle Home Football Shirt 2XL

The entire pub stopped and stared at us for a good couple of seconds, it was very much the Western cliche of the jukebox and pool balls stopping.  Once they had realised we weren't Rangers fans we slunk into the back of the bar and had a few drinks - they had Buckfast on tap which us unworldly Highland lads had never seen before.  Celtic won with a last minute winner (they swept Rangers that season for the first time in a four game season I think) and I have never been so glad to see Celtic win anything - for those who don't know Croy is very much a Celtic town and the pub was basically a Celtic theme bar - the window had a Celtic badge emblazoned on it.

I've since heard that it shut down and was owned by various shady gangsters.  It's alleged to have been the venue of a murder and was possibly burned down for insurance money at one point.

As I recall, Croy was  basically a Glasgow overspill project and was known in the area as Little Ireland.

Not a good place to be a Rangers supporter.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Croy used to be a mining village. Twechar close by was similar but Rangers aligned. All depended on who the mining company hired when the pit was opened basically.

I often have to go to a wee industrial estate in twechar, first time i went ( in the pre sat nav days) i was given directions to turn right after passing " the billy"  the billy is unmistakeable btw

On 14/09/2022 at 15:10, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I often have to go to a wee industrial estate in twechar, first time i went ( in the pre sat nav days) i was given directions to turn right after passing " the billy"  the billy is unmistakeable btw

People in Twechar will be referring to "the Bully".

Nickname of the Quarry Inn, which despite all the various names it's been operating as, "the Bully" has always stuck.

Used to host the Twechar beer festival back in the day.

26 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Nickname of the Quarry Inn, which despite all the various names it's been operating as, "the Bully" has always stuck.

oh well, every days a school day. i did have a union jack around it if i'm not having a mendela affect 

10 hours ago, German Jag said:

A local took exception to a witty aside I made and pulled the poker from the coal fire and swung it at my head. The heavy, white hot metal persuaded me it was probably time to go.

11 hours ago, German Jag said:

Interesting read. Apart from being in Sweden does anyone know why they Gothenburg was used as have never come across this before. “Gothenburg’s were established in which villagers ran the pub and it was not for profit…”.

image.jpeg.3bd60ba43b979df48817022bc88acc52.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Interesting read. Apart from being in Sweden does anyone know why they Gothenburg was used as have never come across this before. “Gothenburg’s were established in which villagers ran the pub and it was not for profit…”.

image.jpeg.3bd60ba43b979df48817022bc88acc52.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothenburg_Public_House_System

Lochore, Cowdenbeath and Rosyth all had them. It was based on the model set up in Gothenburg.

53 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothenburg_Public_House_System

Lochore, Cowdenbeath and Rosyth all had them. It was based on the model set up in Gothenburg.

There’s one in Prestonpans

http://www.prestoungrange.org/gothenburg/

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/edinburgh-city-plan-ban-on-greenbelt-development-could-cost-3600-jobs-claims-study-3875959

I hadn’t realised that the housing development plan for Edinburgh depends on compulsory purchases on established businesses.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/edinburgh-city-plan-ban-on-greenbelt-development-could-cost-3600-jobs-claims-study-3875959

I hadn’t realised that the housing development plan for Edinburgh depends on compulsory purchases on established businesses.

The word “could” in the headline is doing a lot of heavy lifting

as is “depends” in your response

this is after all based on a study commissioned by a firm whose business is built on helping builders push back against planning restrictions 

that said if Edinburgh decides it can’t expand out or up then ultimately something has to give