Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On 20/01/2022 at 19:22, Hedgecutter said:

In the case of the Barra one, good luck to anybody attempting to drill a multi-mile long tunnel through one of the hardest bedrock units in Europe.  Realistically needs a bridge imo.

7 months have passed and I would like to know how you know this information? What does the average person need to study to get to know this kind of detail? Geology? 

8 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

7 months have passed and I would like to know how you know this information? What does the average person need to study to get to know this kind of detail? Geology? 

It's an (engineering) geology thing.

No idea why I said that though.  The extremely hard basement rock seen at surface of the Western Isles & Inner Hebrides (that part being true enough) is overlain by softer rocks / sediments once you get out into the Minch and Sea of the Hebrides. 

However... the softer overburden there consist of unconsolidated 'ice age' sediments underlain by a serious thickness of Jurassic mudstone rocks (an offshore borehole drilled some 15 miles east of Barra found these to be at least 2500m thick, i.e. about two Ben Nevis' worth underground), which are structurally unstable and most likely of little use for tunnel construction.  This is completely unlike the hardy lavas* of the Faroes and structurally-sound chalk of the Channel Tunnel, the latter of which was built to a maximum depth of 75m below the sea-bed.

* whilst there is no onshore shortage of lava on Skye & Mull, these aren't present across the relevant offshore areas.

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 2 weeks later...

Driving along the M9 the other day and passed roadworks. Seems they are building slip roads on and off the motorway in the middle of nowhere.

I googled why they were doing this. Apparently to connect Winchburgh to the M9 (population: 5 sheep and a couple of weirdos).

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Driving along the M9 the other day and passed roadworks. Seems they are building slip roads on and off the motorway in the middle of nowhere.

I googled why they were doing this. Apparently to connect Winchburgh to the M9 (population: 5 sheep and a couple of weirdos).

That might be the population now but they are meant to be building something like 3,000 - 4,000 new homes there right next to the motorway so they need to upgrade the access from the M9. I think there was meant to be a new railway station included as well but I'm not sure about that.

On 24/08/2022 at 00:54, Hedgecutter said:

It's an (engineering) geology thing.

No idea why I said that though.  The extremely hard basement rock seen at surface of the Western Isles & Inner Hebrides (that part being true enough) is overlain by softer rocks / sediments once you get out into the Minch and Sea of the Hebrides. 

However... the softer overburden there consist of unconsolidated 'ice age' sediments underlain by a serious thickness of Jurassic mudstone rocks (an offshore borehole drilled some 15 miles east of Barra found these to be at least 2500m thick, i.e. about two Ben Nevis' worth underground), which are structurally unstable and most likely of little use for tunnel construction.  This is completely unlike the hardy lavas* of the Faroes and structurally-sound chalk of the Channel Tunnel, the latter of which was built to a maximum depth of 75m below the sea-bed.

* whilst there is no onshore shortage of lava on Skye & Mull, these aren't present across the relevant offshore areas.

FFS @Sortmeout everyone knows this 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Winchburgh is where my MiL lives and the construction that is going on there is unbelievable.  They have built 2 high schools (to keep up the "what school did you go to" divisions), a primary school, sports centre, country park and as @RiG says 1000s of houses.  

Winchburgh is pretty much unrecognisable from what it was 7 years ago.

There's absolutely no justification for building a train station on the fastest route between the two largest cities in the country, just to serve a glorified council estate in West Lothian.

While we're dealing with nonsense plastic settlements, demolish Bishopton and make the inhabitants slither to Glasgow instead. 

I'm sure I could look it up but I wonder how many new homes have been built in Kirkliston and Winchburgh in the last 10-15 years, it must be thousands.  I have family in that area and am there all the time, the growth of Winchburgh is particularly fast, it must be double the size by now.

I didn't realise that was what the slip road on the M9 was being built for but it would ease the traffic which must be pretty bad on the roads in and out of the town.  Kirkliston traffic is terrible at rush hour, although of course building commuter towns does tend to mean people have to commute.

A train station would be good to, in theory, ease congestion but I assume the disruption would be huge and I'm unsure how much it'd be used by commuters.

I hadn't realised that there was plans in the 80s (or maybe 70s) for a freight line between the West Highland Line and Pitlochry.  I do think it's strange that aside from Inverness to Kyle and WHL from Glasgow there isn't really any connection across Scotland above the Central Belt.  

1 hour ago, virginton said:

There's absolutely no justification for building a train station on the fastest route between the two largest cities in the country, just to serve a glorified council estate in West Lothian.

While we're dealing with nonsense plastic settlements, demolish Bishopton and make the inhabitants slither to Glasgow instead. 

"glorified council estate" 🤣

image.jpeg.75177309ad0b4bb6201a8ceca93ca3a6.jpeg

image.jpeg.cf67ce45381106a3b7e8388e38d7878d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I hadn't realised that there was plans in the 80s (or maybe 70s) for a freight line between the West Highland Line and Pitlochry.  I do think it's strange that aside from Inverness to Kyle and WHL from Glasgow there isn't really any connection across Scotland above the Central Belt.  

It's only strange insomuch ad our whole land ownership structure outside the central belt is strange.

Half the stops north of Perth only exist as payment in kind for building on somebody's private estate.