Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

^^^interesting way to react when the whole topic of fixed links to islands like Mull, Orkney or Lewis is always quickly characterised as cloud cuckoo land stuff by plenty of people on twitter and newspaper comment sections or by former political hacks like Brian Wilson when the SNP float the idea of a fixed link between Greenock and Dunoon. It was all about P&B "history" though in his mind and not about the real world away from cyberspace. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

^^^interesting way to react when the whole topic of fixed links to islands like Mull, Orkney or Lewis is always quickly characterised as cloud cuckoo land stuff by plenty of people on twitter and newspaper comment sections or by former political hacks like Brian Wilson when the SNP float the idea of a fixed link between Greenock and Dunoon. It was all about P&B "history" though in his mind and not about the real world away from cyberspace. 

Wtf is this pish?

On 20/05/2022 at 11:34, milton75 said:

Good. I wish they'd do that here.

Every time someone tells me they're getting astroturf put in I have to try hard not to show my disgust.

There was a woman from Dunfermline who vacuumed her AstroTurf lawn every day when the blossom was shedding from trees. The rest of her garden was a tip so I'm not sure why she was desperate to have a pristine "lawn"

Full disclosure the previous owners of my house put AstroTurf down on the small decking at the back of my house and I've never lifted it mainly because it's in permanent shade and nothing would grow. My actual grass lawn is of course pristine

On 21/05/2022 at 02:50, LongTimeLurker said:

At no point did I advocate a 100 mile tunnel but what does the truth matter when there is a tribalistic agenda to pursue? What I did do was contrast Scotland's inability to even do relatively short fixed links like a tunnel from Lerwick to Bressay because of the strength of the pro-ferry lobby with what might have been doable in the long term future if a Faroese approach had been adopted.

If not advocating a cross-Minch tunnel, then you seemed to be trying quite hard to highlight the benefits of one back in November:

The more ambitous projects that actually get proposed in a Western Isles context is a tunnel from somewhere north of Uig on Skye to Harris, plus some combination of tunnels, causeways or bridges to be able to island hop from North Uist via Berneray to Harris and South Uist via Eriskay to Barra. That would directly hook up 25% of Scotland's island population to the mainland road network 24/7 for about 3 years worth of ferry subsidies in a Scottish context if it could be done at Faroese prices.

Granted Uig-Harris is only 20 miles rather than 100, but you get the point.

That isn't a record breaking 100 mile tunnel so where are you going with this post? 

Massive subsidies get poured into ferry services over the course of the 30 to 40 years a ferry gets used for so the Faroese and Norwegian mentality is that you are better off in the long run spending all of that money up front on a fixed link that can be used 24/7.

Meanwhile in Scotland we are not able to sort out fixed links for stretches of water like Lerwick to Bressay or at the northern end of Bute that are golf shot sort of distances.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

That's because the north end of Bute does not need a fixed link to 'the mainland' (which being Cowal, has the same accessibility as most islands anyway). More tilting at windmills nonsense. 

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That isn't a record breaking 100 mile tunnel so where are you going with this post? 

Massive subsidies get poured into ferry services over the course of the 30 to 40 years a ferry gets used for so the Faroese and Norwegian mentality is that you are better off in the long run spending all of that money up front on a fixed link that can be used 24/7.

Meanwhile in Scotland we are not able to sort out fixed links for stretches of water like Lerwick to Bressay or at the northern end of Bute that are golf shot sort of distances.

You weren't advocating a 100 mile tunnel, but you were instead advocating (or at the very least giving a run down of the benefits of) a 20 mile long one one, which is significantly more than what you're trying to make out.  There's more than a sniff of backtracking there.

No idea what you are on about at this point given I wrote the following:

...with what might have been doable in the long term future if a Faroese approach had been adopted.

Here's what the Faroese have in mind for an island with a population of just under 5,000 people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suðuroyartunnilin

https://kvf.fo/greinar/2020/02/05/minister-suduroy-tunnel-ready-2030

Edited by LongTimeLurker

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No idea what you are on about at this point given I wrote the following:

...with what might have been doable in the long term future if a Faroese approach had been adopted.

Here's what the Faroese have in mind for an island with a population of just under 5,000 people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suðuroyartunnilin

https://kvf.fo/greinar/2020/02/05/minister-suduroy-tunnel-ready-2030

You appear to be repeatedly providing positives for building very long tunnels (with little to counter them), but getting upset about people then thinking that you're in favour of them.  Weird, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a 13 mile section of HS2 (Golborne Link) has been quietly scrapped with knock-on consequences for Scotland.

Negative consequencies, natch.......................

(Andrew) Stephenson (HS2 minister) said: “It’s absolutely vital that we get this right from the outset. Removing this link is about ensuring that we’ve left no stone unturned when it comes to working with our Scottish counterparts to find a solution that will best serve the great people of Scotland.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/07/rail-bosses-outraged-as-hs2-golborne-link-quietly-scrapped

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a 13 mile section of HS2 (Golborne Link) has been quietly scrapped with knock-on consequences for Scotland.

Negative consequencies, natch.......................

(Andrew) Stephenson (HS2 minister) said: “It’s absolutely vital that we get this right from the outset. Removing this link is about ensuring that we’ve left no stone unturned when it comes to working with our Scottish counterparts to find a solution that will best serve the great people of Scotland.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/07/rail-bosses-outraged-as-hs2-golborne-link-quietly-scrapped

I mentioned this on the Scotrail thread, the link would pass through the Chairman of the 1922 Committee's constituency, and the cancellation was announced during his supervision of Johnson's vote of confidence proceedings yesterday. I smell sulphur.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I mentioned this on the Scotrail thread, the link would pass through the Chairman of the 1922 Committee's constituency, and the cancellation was announced during his supervision of Johnson's vote of confidence proceedings yesterday. I smell sulphur.

You're not kidding..........but I'm sure the great people of Scotland are full of admiration for Andrew Stephenson's fellatio skills........

2 hours ago, Big Rider said:

The great people of Scotland are paying for HS2 with precisely zero benefit.
Another Union Dividend in Broken Britain.

What about the not-so-great ones, Weegies and the like?