Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

From my town (c. 20,000 population) to the provincial capital (c. 90,000 population) there was a bus about every three hours, trains were commuter hours only but none on Sundays. They did have a rail replacement bus service but you had to buy your tickets beforehand despite there being no ticket machines at the station. Bus tickets were only available from the cafe next to the station but only when the landlady wasn't on her lunch or too busy serving profitable customers.

Farther afield I missed many connections due to delayed trains, probably about 20% of trains were delayed by more than 15mins, and more than once I had to call someone to pick me up following a missed connection.

The train stations were in much worse condition than ours in general. The one in my town was a boarded up building covered in graffiti. Those in major hubs were overcrowded so you often had folk hanging about on the streets outside.

image.png.436cdc6d46333ea8edfabb3ab960fbc6.png

If you discover any antiquaries in Italy the relevant department needs to conduct an assessment which normally takes about three months. I knew shops which had new flooring installed, found Roman mosaics underneath and quickly laid the new flooring so they wouldn't have to shut. A clothes shop across the street had renaissance frescoes hidden behind the wooden panels in the changing rooms.

Not sure this is entirely infrastructure related but thought it fitted. Slovak questions after watching a video about American suburbia.

Britain isn’t quite like this (yet) but I see a lot of similarities in big identikit new build estates.

Of course, the States has all sorts of reasons for developing in the way it has but thought it was interesting. Particularly interesting to me is the demand for a garden featuring fake grass, a patio heater and a hot tub, which some people seem to really like but to me is just a sterile waste ground.

On 12/05/2022 at 08:51, ICTChris said:

Not sure this is entirely infrastructure related but thought it fitted. Slovak questions after watching a video about American suburbia.

Britain isn’t quite like this (yet) but I see a lot of similarities in big identikit new build estates.

Of course, the States has all sorts of reasons for developing in the way it has but thought it was interesting. Particularly interesting to me is the demand for a garden featuring fake grass, a patio heater and a hot tub, which some people seem to really like but to me is just a sterile waste ground.

Sorry, can’t find a link (might have been in Private Eye) about how in Germany you have to pay quite a severe local environmental tax for every sq m of land you cover with paving or fake grass. This is because of the problem it causes in terms of lack of drainage/raised water levels.

Edited by Shandon Par

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but only nutters think Faroese/Norwegian style fixed links are the better way to go.

When you read the article it shows that far from being cut off the Islanders have two fall back routes while this gets sorted

• Travel south and a take a ferry from Eriskay to Castlebay on Barra and then a ferry to Oban. This would involve more than five hours of travelling to get to Oban.
  • Travel north and take a ferry from Bernerary to Harris and then a 56 mile (90km) journey by road to Stornoway in Lewis for a ferry to Ullapool - a total journey of almost five hours.

On 12/05/2022 at 20:42, Shandön Par said:

Sorry, can’t find a link (might have been in Private Eye) about how in Germany you have to pay quite a severe local environmental tax for every sq m of land you cover with paving or fake grass. This is because of the problem it causes in terms of lack of drainage/raised water levels.

Good. I wish they'd do that here.

Every time someone tells me they're getting astroturf put in I have to try hard not to show my disgust.

Every time someone tells me they're getting astroturf put in I have to try hard not to show my disgust.
I had given it some thought for my generally useless front garden a while back, but recently read a bit about the damage it causes and shall be retaining my moss patch instead

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

When I become Dicator I’ll put you in charge of retrospective astroturf tax collection.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

My slattern of a daughter in law put plastic grass in her garden 3 years ago. The clatty cow has never cleaned it and the stink is awful. 

Aye, I think a lot of people think it is "zero maintenance" and dont bother sweeping off the crap. Probably easier to just leave grass and mow the fucker?

Back on infrastructure, my street is about to be resurfaced. I dont have a drive, just park on the street with a permit - so its not really an issue as I will just plonk it round the corner which is in the same zone.

However those people with no parking permit that normally use their driveways are losing their shit - one daftie was raging on the street whatsapp that "the council should provide temporary parking permits to everyone" 😆

Edited by Leith Green

On 12/05/2022 at 08:51, ICTChris said:

Link to the reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/urbanplanning/comments/umv2ib/i_just_watched_this_video_from_not_just_bikes_on/

And the video mentioned. It's a great youtube channel covering both how shit North America is and how great the Netherlands is (I mean I knew this already but it just shows it so well, and makes you think about how the UK compares as well).

Edited by Ginaro

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but only nutters think Faroese/Norwegian style fixed links are the better way to go.

Everyone remembers you were advocating for hundred mile, world record breaking tunnels from the mainland not inter Island tunnels.

Also whilst it might be best for islanders there is literally no benefit to the Scottish economy linking an island group with a population like Kirriemuir up to each other or to one the size of Forfar.

The Faroes project connected their capital and main port. The equivalent is building a road between Glasgow and Aberden to avoid going by Inverness 

^^^stalks me from thread to thread along with the red dotting nutter from Greenock because I have posted stuff on the politics subforum that is broadly sympathetic to Ulster Unionism. At no point did I advocate a 100 mile tunnel but what does the truth matter when there is a tribalistic agenda to pursue? What I did do was contrast Scotland's inability to even do relatively short fixed links like a tunnel from Lerwick to Bressay because of the strength of the pro-ferry lobby with what might have been doable in the long term future if a Faroese approach had been adopted.

On 20/05/2022 at 10:40, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When you read the article it shows that far from being cut off the Islanders have two fall back routes while this gets sorted

• Travel south and a take a ferry from Eriskay to Castlebay on Barra and then a ferry to Oban. This would involve more than five hours of travelling to get to Oban.
  • Travel north and take a ferry from Bernerary to Harris and then a 56 mile (90km) journey by road to Stornoway in Lewis for a ferry to Ullapool - a total journey of almost five hours.

Fairly handy, then...

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^stalks me from thread to thread along with the red dotting nutter from Greenock because I have posted stuff on the politics subforum that is broadly sympathetic to Ulster Unionism. At no point did I advocate a 100 mile tunnel but what does the truth matter when there is a tribalistic agenda to pursue? 

S03E01-xZuvlQYi-subtitled.jpg.f9d20c17667bec45667c98bf4ef1dbfb.jpg

FiaDbKYqobTv.gif.9d88ae99196ca709aa506fd80d26f136.gif

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^stalks me from thread to thread along with the red dotting nutter from Greenock because I have posted stuff on the politics subforum that is broadly sympathetic to Ulster Unionism. At no point did I advocate a 100 mile tunnel but what does the truth matter when there is a tribalistic agenda to pursue? What I did do was contrast Scotland's inability to even do relatively short fixed links like a tunnel from Lerwick to Bressay because of the strength of the pro-ferry lobby with what might have been doable in the long term future if a Faroese approach had been adopted.

I barely interact with you you at absolute weapon. I couldn't care less about your position on Ireland as remarkably its not in your top 5 bad takes.

You're the one who decided to make a topic all about yourself again so don't bother whining when people don't allow you to rewrite history.