Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

15 hours ago, RiG said:

The Leith Walk cycle path is just shambolic.

All for parking and bins.

I see the useful idiot from Living Streets Edinburgh is in the replies saying it was intended as a "segregated route to encourage less confident cyclists - not a fast, straight 'super-highway'" - well if that's how you justify the big reduction in pavement space at various points...

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't realise there was a campaign for a Strathclyde Tram in the 90s which was a 15 mile rout using in-part tunnels under the Glasgow Botanic Gardens and Great Western Road which have been empty for decades.  Wonder if there'd be demand that now.

I hadn't realise there was a campaign for a Strathclyde Tram in the 90s which was a 15 mile rout using in-part tunnels under the Glasgow Botanic Gardens and Great Western Road which have been empty for decades.  Wonder if there'd be demand that now.

If our sister city in the West wants some useful tips on things to avoid doing while building a tram line then we’ve got plenty of them

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If our sister city in the West wants some useful tips on things to avoid doing while building a tram line then we’ve got plenty of them

Glasgow City Council are more than capable of finding new and exciting ways to f**k up simple projects on their own

Glasgow City Council are more than capable of finding new and exciting ways to f**k up simple projects on their own

£16 billion and 35 years

https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/traffic-and-travel/clyde-metro-new-glasgow-metro-could-cost-ps16-billion-and-take-35-years-to-complete-3553334

The Labour goons of Glasgow and the assorted catchment area are still furious that their beloved air link to Glasgow Airport wasn't built. Apparently it's a disgrace that Glasgow is the only city to not have a direct rail link... apart from all the other ones that don't either. 

I got back from a holiday in Rome yesterday. The experience reinforced to me how shite our public transportation system is. A 24 Euro (£20) ticket got us unlimited use of the excellent metro system, trams and buses for a week. Getting about the city was a piece of piss. One day we ventured to the hill town of Tivoli which was about an hour away. It only cost €7 extra to use their local bus service for the day.

Leaving Edinburgh airport I looked at the trams and pondered what foreigners must think when they holiday in Scotland. They must think it costs a fortune to get about the place on transport which generally isn’t very good.

We were told on the colosseum tour that they are currently building a new metro station next to the structure. It amazes me that in Rome they will burrow through ancient ground to upgrade their transport links but over here there just seems to be constant barriers/excuses for not doing things.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I got back from a holiday in Rome yesterday. The experience reinforced to me how shite our public transportation system is. A 24 Euro (£20) ticket got us unlimited use of the excellent metro system, trams and buses for a week. Getting about the city was a piece of piss. One day we ventured to the hill town of Tivoli which was about an hour away. It only cost €7 extra to use their local bus service for the day.

Leaving Edinburgh airport I looked at the trams and pondered what foreigners must think when they holiday in Scotland. They must think it costs a fortune to get about the place on transport which generally isn’t very good.

We were told on the colosseum tour that they are currently building a new metro station next to the structure. It amazes me that in Rome they will burrow through ancient ground to upgrade their transport links but over here there just seems to be constant barriers/excuses for not doing things.

How did you get to central Rome from either airport?

IIRC, you can get a train or bus to the "central station in the middle of nowhere" then throw a double six and try and work out how the f**k to get to your hotel - or get a taxi at a supposed fixed cost but in reality some ripoff fare as determined by the driver.

Last time I was in Rome we travelled the buses for free the entire time too.............

Thought it was as much a fucking shambles as here tbqhwy

How did you get to central Rome from either airport?
IIRC, you can get a train or bus to the "central station in the middle of nowhere" then throw a double six and try and work out how the f**k to get to your hotel - or get a taxi at a supposed fixed cost but in reality some ripoff fare as determined by the driver.
Last time I was in Rome we travelled the buses for free the entire time too.............
Thought it was as much a fucking shambles as here tbqhwy

There’s a train line running right past the airport in Ciampino. The station is on the inaccessible side of the airport but it was easy enough to get an airlink bus round to the terminal.

I think if you treat the bus service as complimentary you run the risk of getting a fine. Was never challenged for a ticket while I was there though.

Having lived in both, public transport in Italy is worse than in Scotland.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

One day we ventured to the hill town of Tivoli which was about an hour away. It only cost €7 extra to use their local bus service for the day.

I really don't see the value in spending €7 to travel around a town the size of Bonnyrigg tbh. 

On 07/04/2022 at 11:43, Ginaro said:

All for parking and bins.

I see the useful idiot from Living Streets Edinburgh is in the replies saying it was intended as a "segregated route to encourage less confident cyclists - not a fast, straight 'super-highway'" - well if that's how you justify the big reduction in pavement space at various points...

I haven't been over to Leith walk for a while, but been a few times in recent weeks. Fucking hell, it's worse in reality than the pics and videos suggest. It can't have been designed by anyone who rides a bike. There are going to be so many accidents both with cyclists and pedestrians, ultimately folk will cycle on the road and it will lead to further conflict. The last thing this will do is encourage 'less confident cyclists' and opportunity wasted and a step backwards for proper cycle infrastructure.

Edited by Eatmygoal
Grammar

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

By coincidence £20 is the weekly price cap if you go around Edinburgh paying your fares with contactless

I really don't see the value in spending €7 to travel around a town the size of Bonnyrigg tbh. 

It was more for getting to the town from the metro rather than going around it I should have said. So roughly £5 for a return journey to a town 40 mins away by bus.

22 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I was there 5 years ago and that Metro station was being built then and had been in process for a while even then . 

Fair enough. How is it worse?
From my town (c. 20,000 population) to the provincial capital (c. 90,000 population) there was a bus about every three hours, trains were commuter hours only but none on Sundays. They did have a rail replacement bus service but you had to buy your tickets beforehand despite there being no ticket machines at the station. Bus tickets were only available from the cafe next to the station but only when the landlady wasn't on her lunch or too busy serving profitable customers.

Farther afield I missed many connections due to delayed trains, probably about 20% of trains were delayed by more than 15mins, and more than once I had to call someone to pick me up following a missed connection.

The train stations were in much worse condition than ours in general. The one in my town was a boarded up building covered in graffiti. Those in major hubs were overcrowded so you often had folk hanging about on the streets outside.