Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

45 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

In terms of transport, Edinburgh is an absolute hovel. Awful for drivers, awful for cyclists, awful for pedestrians. I avoid the place. 

Roads aren't brilliant for cyclists but they are better than they were before. Leith walk is a unique example because of poor planning and the cycle paths are not too bad tbf. If I'm coming from from Haymarket to the bottom of Leith, it's far easier to work around the path than dealing with the cluster f**k of traffic.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

In terms of transport, Edinburgh is an absolute hovel. Awful for drivers, awful for cyclists, awful for pedestrians. I avoid the place. 

You only ever see the world from behind the wheel of a feckin' SUV, so just you stay out in Cattlegridville where you belong.

We've recently returned to the office and the bus I get takes you out along the West Approach Road and each time I go past this sign and try to understand what on earth the route to Dalry Road is :mellow:

It took me far too long to figure it out...

WAR.PNG

Edited by RiG

3 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-60319922

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here but Scotland's train services becoming nationalised from April can only be seen as good news IMO

You'd hope so but the SG could be creating a millstone around their necks, every late train will be blamed on Wee Nippy. If they can divert the money that has being going into shareholders' pockets into improving services, then great.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd hope so but the SG could be creating a millstone around their necks, every late train will be blamed on Wee Nippy. If they can divert the money that has being going into shareholders' pockets into improving services, then great.

They're probably going to be using that stick to beat her anyway. There will definitely be a breaking in period, but as you say, anything that takes cash out of private companies profits and back into improving the service should benefit it. If they're serious about getting vehicles off the road, then having control of trains is the right way to do it.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

19 hours ago, RiG said:

We've recently returned to the office and the bus I get takes you out along the West Approach Road and each time I go past this sign and try to understand what on earth the route to Dalry Road is :mellow:

It took me far too long to figure it out...

WAR.PNG

I don't remember seeing a sign quite like it before!

You have to go left at Diggers & right down Ardmillan Terrace? You've got no chance with that if you don't know the area.

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, you'll  need full PPE to get on a train, Mark my words!

On 11/02/2022 at 11:19, the jambo-rocker said:

They're probably going to be using that stick to beat her anyway. There will definitely be a breaking in period, but as you say, anything that takes cash out of private companies profits and back into improving the service should benefit it. If they're serious about getting vehicles off the road, then having control of trains is the right way to do it.

How much cash did Abellio ScotRail make in profits?

It will take far more than removing Abellio from the franchise to improve services and decrease losses.

The Scottish government have shown repeatedly that they cannot operate commercial enterprises.

On 10/02/2022 at 11:47, welshbairn said:

For the country that invented the railways, the underground and metal bridges we've gone backwards an awful long way in 150 years.

Sure I read once that the journey time across the city for a horse and cart in the 1880s was faster than a delivery van today. 

3 hours ago, strichener said:

How much cash did Abellio ScotRail make in profits?

It will take far more than removing Abellio from the franchise to improve services and decrease losses.

The Scottish government have shown repeatedly that they cannot operate commercial enterprises.

Not easy to find out but from googling you can see they basically made £10m in their first year and then lost money ever since.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56689070

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-17-02984/

And the thing is, Train Operating Companies profit on a train ticket is about 2-3%, so just removing them won't make much difference to prices.

Edited by Ginaro

On 11/02/2022 at 11:07, welshbairn said:

Aye but should the trains run on time, we know for sure who she'll be compared to 

Never change golfers

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-golf-club-members-demand-23121984

The Spaces For People bollards on Lanek Road do look bloody awful and I can see why some residents might have a problem with the lack of parking - if you have a requirement for frequent visitors, ie carers it could be an issue, and the bike lane seems v under utilised. However most of the complaining is just moaning for the sake of it by people who have a tantrum if they have to park fifty feet away from where they are going.

Edited by ICTChris