Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publication/summary-report-january-2022-stpr2/

Now we're talking. Lewis connectedby road all the way to Barra via causeways/bridges/tunnels would be pretty fantastic. Get it built!

c306ca306476003fdc39d913a2274ffd.jpg

In the case of the Barra one, good luck to anybody attempting to drill a multi-mile long tunnel through one of the hardest bedrock units in Europe.  Realistically needs a bridge imo.

Presumably the fixed mainland link from Mull is to Lochaline? If so I'm not sure how that helps anyone.

Similarly I'm not sure how fixed links help the mainland to island ferry routes. Inter Island yes but even with fixed links Tarbert to Glasgow would be a 2.5 hour drive plus 5 hour ferry plus 2.5 hour drive v current 90 minute ferry and 5 hour drive.

Unless the consolidation they are talking about is ditching the Oban ferry.

Edited by invergowrie arab

12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

In the case of the Barra one, good luck to anybody attempting to drill a multi-mile long tunnel through one of the hardest bedrock units in Europe.  Realistically needs a bridge imo.

Think they can potentially do quite a bit of it by causeway and uninhabited island, ditto with the Sound of Harris. Assuming this hasn't simply been added to shut Angus MacNeil up about the subject, an Oban area to Mull fixed link would presumably be a way to move the main CalMac ferry terminal from Oban to Tobermory with scope for a single terminal at the southern end of the Western Isles (rather than having to service both Castlebay and Lochboisdale) if they do a Barra fixed link as well.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

• 2 weeks later...

The Edinburgh Tram line to Newhaven continues apace with the York Place trams stop now shut and the service terminating in the West End so construction of the new stop on Piccardy Place can commence.

Also taking shape are the utterly mind boggling bike lanes down Leith Walk that have been the subject of much ridicule on social media. Here are some of the "highlights".

As can be seen in the videos Leith Walk is simply not wide enough to fit in space for pedestrians, cyclists, buses, trams and cars. By trying to cram everything in to a small space the City of Edinburgh Council have made an absolute pigs ear of things. How this stuff gets through the planning / approval process I have no idea.

Edited by RiG

I don’t know why I always get astounded at how fucking badly things like that are designed and implemented back home in comparison to other places, but you always seem to find a way to completely f**k it up.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

The Edinburgh Tram line to Newhaven continues apace with the York Place trams stop now shut and the service terminating in the West End so construction of the new stop on Piccardy Place can commence.

Also taking shape are the utterly mind boggling bike lanes down Leith Walk that have been the subject of much ridicule on social media. Here are some of the "highlights".

As can be seen in the videos Leith Walk is simply not wide enough to fit in space for pedestrians, cyclists, buses, trams and cars. By trying to cram everything in to a small space the City of Edinburgh Council have made an absolute pigs ear of things. How this stuff gets through the planning / approval process I have no idea.

Thought that was Inverness for a moment. We're going a step further, getting rid of kerbs to troll blind folk.

18 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

In terms of transport, Edinburgh is an absolute hovel. Awful for drivers, awful for cyclists, awful for pedestrians. I avoid the place. 

Whit?  Public transport in Edinburgh is brilliant.  Anyone that wants to drive into the city centre (of any city for that matter) deserves to have a shite experience.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I don’t know why I always get astounded at how fucking badly things like that are designed and implemented back home in comparison to other places, but you always seem to find a way to completely f**k it up.

For the country that invented the railways, the underground and metal bridges we've gone backwards an awful long way in 150 years.

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Whit?  Public transport in Edinburgh is brilliant.  Anyone that wants to drive into the city centre (of any city for that matter) deserves to have a shite experience.

Pretty sure I mentioned drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. Which of them equates to public transport?