Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I enjoyed that tweet! London has such a strange relationship to the concept of value-for-money.

There's plenty of other examples of strange projects down there. The Emirates Air Line being the first one coming to mind.

I really like the Air Line. I was on it a couple of weeks ago, it gives one of the best views of the city and it's great if you're going where it goes. It was never likely to be a useful transport option for many locals though and everyone I saw using it looked like tourists.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I enjoyed that tweet! London has such a strange relationship to the concept of value-for-money.

There's plenty of other examples of strange projects down there. The Emirates Air Line being the first one coming to mind.

I've got a hill I could've sold them.

7 hours ago, RiG said:

Not Scottish but f**k me what a waste of money this is!

How is that being paid for? Hopefully only Londoners are paying for that shit and not a penny from central Gov.

I see the Transport Scotland STPR2 2021 report has proposed a rail link between Inverness and Fort William.  The actual report doesn't say if it's a new line or connecting the West Highland and Highland Main Line but I can only assume it's the latter, most likely with a new line between Roybridge and Newtonmore.  It also proposes a new rail bridge to Dornoch.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see the Transport Scotland STPR2 2021 report has proposed a rail link between Inverness and Fort William.  The actual report doesn't say if it's a new line or connecting the West Highland and Highland Main Line but I can only assume it's the latter, most likely with a new line between Roybridge and Newtonmore.  It also proposes a new rail bridge to Dornoch.

There's been talk of a rail bridge to Dornoch since I can remember, the north line isn't busy enough to make it financially viable. 

8 minutes ago, RH33 said:

There's been talk of a rail bridge to Dornoch since I can remember, the north line isn't busy enough to make it financially viable. 

It would take half an hour off Inverness to Golspie. Think it's not busy because it's so fucking slow, 4 1/2 hours for Inverness to Wick is ridiculous, the bus is only 3.

Edited by welshbairn

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would take half an hour off Inverness to Golspie. Think it's not busy because it's so fucking slow, 4 1/2 hours for Inverness to Wick is ridiculous, the bus is only 3.

My son took the train to Wick last week. He had 35 minutes for the connection at Inverness but the train from Perth was delayed 50 minutes around Blair Atholl and the Wick train left before they arrived. Four hours to the next train, arriving in Wick about 10pm. No wonder everybody drives.

If Inverness-Perth were double track he wouldn't have been delayed at all. This is a constant source of delays and disruption on this line and it's always seemed completely ridiculous to me that it's single track. It's mental that they're spending £3bn turning the A9 into four lanes when the train line is so appalling.

Inverness-Wick takes longer than Edinburgh-London. If it were about 3 hours, same as the bus - and reliable - I'm sure it would draw far more passengers.

And every train between Inverness and Caithness should run straight through to/ from Glasgow/ Edinburgh, to remove the changeover time in Inverness. At a stroke that would knock half an hour off the journey.

They were meant to have made some improvements to the line between Inverness and Perth to allow for hourly services to the central belt. Think it mostly consisted of signalling upgrades or something but the service is still incredibly unreliable, prone to delays and with some services having been scrapped due to COVID and still not reinstated there is a lot of pressure on the capacity of trains running just now. A quick look at Twitter shows Scotrail having to continuously fend off criticism of their shite service north of Perth. Whatever upgrades were performed on the line feels like they barely scratched the surface of what could be done there to get significantly more services on that part of the network.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Still quicker to drive.