Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Planning permission for the airport railway station has been approved, although it seems some councillors are fairly unimpressed by it.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/3093544/inverness-airport-train-station-gets-go-ahead-despite-councillors-reservations/

Planning permission for the airport railway station has been approved, although it seems some councillors are fairly unimpressed by it.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/3093544/inverness-airport-train-station-gets-go-ahead-despite-councillors-reservations/
All over the level crossing by the looks of it. The one thing Network Rail allways try to remove when they can due to the number of accidents and near misses.

Bit like East Kilbride. Loads of new housing going up on the edges, will join up with East Renfrewshire soon if it keeps going.  Buses don't really serve the newer housing. Good 30 min walk to train station and no interchange for buses at the railway station. Hairmyres has the 201 bus but most people park and ride. The town centre is dead.

21 hours ago, RiG said:

Inverness is an odd "city". The massive growth in population has not seen a commensurate improvement in supporting infrastructure or public transport. Apart from the short stretch of dual carriageway between the A9 / A96 interchange and a widening of the Inshes Road over the A9 the rest of the city is pretty much as it was from the 1990s despite the massive growth in eastern and southern areas. Sure there are new roads to / from all these houses but the additional traffic crawling into the city from all directions is still doing it on roads that haven't seen their capacity increased in decades.

It doesn't help that pretty much every new development has ample space for multiple cars per household and that the public transport system is laughable. Even pre COVID, buses out to some parts of Inverness stopped running before 6 pm or had their frequency significantly curtailed. There are no public transport lanes of any significance to speak of to help buses get through rush hour traffic and the fares are extortionate for the service provided.

Inverness is one giant housing estate with residents almost wholly dependent on cars to get around. A mess that Highland Council has foreseen and done nothing to improve over the past 20 years or so.

Driving through Milton of Leys this morning and there's a sign for Phase 11 (eleven).  So this is the 10th time MoL has been expanded since about 1997.  Wild.

Saw online that they reckon there's now 4,000 people live in that part of the city now.

Been living in Inverness for 2 years now. Enjoyed reading the comments from folk about bad planning. This doesn’t seem to be an Inverness issue though and more a country wide one? There doesn’t seem to be any progressive thinking behind anything that happens in Scotland. Maybe that’s starting to change now but now we have a situation where its much more difficult to do so because you’ve already built the housing schemes and what not. The dueling of both the A96 is going to be a nightmare in places similar to the A9 when of course it should have been done years ago.

One thing I noticed on Sunday was just how many folk were cycling around town. Was good to see. Seemed to be more than what I’ve seen in Perth or any other city, Inverness seems to have a bit of a cycling vibe. Not sure why the council haven’t prioritised making dedicated cycle routes/lanes across the city.

Another thing is the lack of train station at Culloden/Inshes. You have this massive housing area with a railway going through it but no station. It’s ridiculous. Same situation as I’ve complained about in the past regarding Bridge of Earn, Newburgh etc.

I think that in time the bypass I.e the road that circles round the south of Inverness will need to be dueled and then they’ll realise there’s no room to do it! That roads busy as it is already and with more housing being built at Ness Side it’s going to be even more heaving. Again, lack of forward thinking planning.

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Been living in Inverness for 2 years now. Enjoyed reading the comments from folk about bad planning. This doesn’t seem to be an Inverness issue though and more a country wide one? There doesn’t seem to be any progressive thinking behind anything that happens in Scotland. Maybe that’s starting to change now but now we have a situation where its much more difficult to do so because you’ve already built the housing schemes and what not. The dueling of both the A96 is going to be a nightmare in places similar to the A9 when of course it should have been done years ago.

One thing I noticed on Sunday was just how many folk were cycling around town. Was good to see. Seemed to be more than what I’ve seen in Perth or any other city, Inverness seems to have a bit of a cycling vibe. Not sure why the council haven’t prioritised making dedicated cycle routes/lanes across the city.

Another thing is the lack of train station at Culloden/Inshes. You have this massive housing area with a railway going through it but no station. It’s ridiculous. Same situation as I’ve complained about in the past regarding Bridge of Earn, Newburgh etc.

I think that in time the bypass I.e the road that circles round the south of Inverness will need to be dueled and then they’ll realise there’s no room to do it! That roads busy as it is already and with more housing being built at Ness Side it’s going to be even more heaving. Again, lack of forward thinking planning.

There's been talk of a station at Cradlehall/Westhill near the Uni for a few years now.  Even that would be decent for getting into the centre for weekend #pints.

And yep, the West Link at Ness Side is already fairly busy.  Will be 10 times worse when they start building the houses directly behind the Tesco.

23 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

In the plans for development of the land around Ashton Farm to the east of the city (which will be catalysed by the building of the Inshes to A96 link Road) some land will be left for a possible train station by the UHI campus / new housing development. Annoyingly I can't find the figures that show this but, like the Western Link Road, this new "congestion busting road" will ultimately be, erm, surrounded by new housing (page 171). At least there will some provision for NMU with the wide paths alongside the road but I can't help but feel that some degree of suburban rail service in the east together with improved public transport offerings would be extremely beneficial.

On 22/04/2021 at 12:54, DiegoDiego said:

I was having a look at that part of Inverness on Google maps the other day (sadly my furlough is coming to an end soon and I will no longer have time for such inanities). Why would you choose to live there? You've a Scotmid, a primary school and that's it, maybe a take away. Buying a house in such an area just seems madness to me.

5 min drive from Culloden to the town. Why would you want to live rammed into an over populated estate close to the town? The towns shite anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Pato said:

Renewables to more than offset job losses in O&G according to this thread outlining some hefty investments going on.

Some wifey from Scottish Renewables was bumping on about this the other day. £bns of investment.

• 2 weeks later...

As anyone who has passed down the East end of Edinburgh will have noticed the new gyratory at Piccardy Place is incredibly busy causing all sorts of jams in the area. So of course the space in the middle is the perfect spot for a, erm, coffee shop...

It's getting a bit out of hand. It almost comes across like they're trying to seen making it as much space for people, yet they haven't even done feasibility studies for looking at old rail lines like powderhall to Meadowbank for eg (ones that will quite likely never be used again for rail, I'm all for the old ones that could be feasibly used as train/tram extensions in the south areas) which would alleviate some bike traffic. It comes across like they're more focused on style rather than focusing on the substance.

I know at the bottom of Leith the bridge near the constitution street is apparently getting turned into cycling lane. Trying to get in from the east, the bridge is practically the last shortcut route, meaning routes will have all bus and car traffic filtered through two already busy roads and it's difficult enough as it is.

I can only imagine what that's going to be for buses in princess street, as we've seen what it's like on a busy Saturday.

There doesn't seem to be much park and ride encouragement, or at least a plan to make things easier on that front. Surely making the park and ride by Newcraighall bigger and using the trams along old rail line to Leith would be a simple means of getting people in and out of the center from the east, would be a no brainer.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

38 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

It's getting a bit out of hand. It almost comes across like they're trying to seen making it as much space for people, yet they haven't even done feasibility studies for looking at old rail lines like powderhall to Meadowbank for eg (ones that will quite likely never be used again for rail, I'm all for the old ones that could be feasibly used as train/tram extensions in the south areas) which would alleviate some bike traffic. It comes across like they're more focused on style rather than focusing on the substance.

They are meant to be undertaking, or about to undertake, a feasibility study along here. I seem to recall Leith CC reported recently that the Council has drafted everyone on this kind of work onto the Spaces for People programme so it's being held up. From a selfish point of view this would be a great scheme. It goes right past where I stay in glorious EH7.

The new cycling lanes around York Place, Leith Street etc are a good idea but they have been poorly implemented. Especially where they lie adjacent to pedestrian crossings. Pedestrians don't realise they are standing in a cycle lane as they wait for the lights to change.

ETA: EEN reporting this actually.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/new-edinburgh-walking-and-cycling-route-delayed-because-council-too-busy-on-spaces-for-people-3266736

Edited by RiG

3 hours ago, RiG said:

They are meant to be undertaking, or about to undertake, a feasibility study along here. I seem to recall Leith CC reported recently that the Council has drafted everyone on this kind of work onto the Spaces for People programme so it's being held up. From a selfish point of view this would be a great scheme. It goes right past where I stay in glorious EH7.

The new cycling lanes around York Place, Leith Street etc are a good idea but they have been poorly implemented. Especially where they lie adjacent to pedestrian crossings. Pedestrians don't realise they are standing in a cycle lane as they wait for the lights to change.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/new-edinburgh-walking-and-cycling-route-delayed-because-council-too-busy-on-spaces-for-people-3266736

I mean I get it that prioritising the more congested traffic areas is probably the way to go, but these pathways seem like really easy wins.

At the same time you argue there isn't much consistency with that logic considering with in the case of the tram extension, they didn't focus on getting York place bypassed first while there were lockdowns and little traffic, or even building it in place while putting in that big new shiny roundabout opposite the Omni, only to rip bits up from it again.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

As anyone who has passed down the East end of Edinburgh will have noticed the new gyratory at Piccardy Place is incredibly busy causing all sorts of jams in the area. So of course the space in the middle is the perfect spot for a, erm, coffee shop...

It's sad but eventually Picardy Place will become one big "told you so".

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I know at the bottom of Leith the bridge near the constitution street is apparently getting turned into cycling lane. Trying to get in from the east, the bridge is practically the last shortcut route, meaning routes will have all bus and car traffic filtered through and it's difficult enough as it is.

I can only imagine what that's going to be for buses in princess street, as we've seen what it's like on a busy Saturday.

There doesn't seem to be much park and ride encouragement, or at least a plan to make things easier on that front. Surely making the park and ride by Newcraighall bigger and using the trams along old rail line to Leith would be a simple means of getting people in and out of the center from the east, would be a no brainer.

The entire point of closing Sandport Bridge to motorised traffic is so that it stops people taking shortcuts (ie rat runs) and makes active travel more attractive. The main roads around the LTN area is where most traffic should be. Plans: https://consultationhub.edinburgh.gov.uk/sfc/low-traffic-neighbourhoods/

Going from Newcraigall to the Leith Docks branch means negotiating the already busy Portobello junction across the East coast main line...

43 minutes ago, RiG said:

Sure I read there was still some sort of contract between a freight company and Network Rail which prevents them from releasing the line to the council. Would be good to get it to Dryden Gait or Leith Walk to begin with at least.

Though it's ironic that the Tories are the ones complaining, as they've probably contributed the most to staff being tied up dealing with their SFP complaints.

56 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The entire point of closing Sandport Bridge to motorised traffic is so that it stops people taking shortcuts (ie rat runs) and makes active travel more attractive. The main roads around the LTN area is where most traffic should be. Plans: https://consultationhub.edinburgh.gov.uk/sfc/low-traffic-neighbourhoods/

Going from Newcraigall to the Leith Docks branch means negotiating the already busy Portobello junction across the East coast main line...

I don't have a problem with the means, but with the execution. As someone that takes the bike as often as possible(it's almost impossible to drive about here as it is), they've already make for a ridiculous bottleneck for both main roads respectively. I can only imagine the amount of drivers and their plots being lost at trying to get through great junction steet and constitution street in rush hour.

I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't for so much already cut back on in that area or decisions to put in as many roadworks as physically possible. The amount of buses queues seen arriving one after the other on both streets because it's all been diverted or poor thought through safe spaces has been ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I don't have a problem with the means, but with the execution. As someone that takes the bike as often as possible(it's almost impossible to drive about here as it is), they've already make for a ridiculous bottleneck for both main roads respectively. I can only imagine the amount of drivers and their plots being lost at trying to get through great junction steet and constitution street in rush hour.

I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't for so much already cut back on in that area or decisions to put in as many roadworks as physically possible. The amount of buses queues seen arriving one after the other on both streets because it's all been diverted or poor thought through safe spaces has been ridiculous.

Well ultimately there's only so much road space. And if you allow cars to use all the shortcuts and side streets to relieve the main roads, the extra capacity soon gets used up anyway (thanks to induced demand) and all you end up with is worse roads for everyone. 

I'm sure apart from the tram construction they aren't just doing roadworks for the sake of it...

On 10/06/2021 at 16:02, Ginaro said:

Well ultimately there's only so much road space. And if you allow cars to use all the shortcuts and side streets to relieve the main roads, the extra capacity soon gets used up anyway (thanks to induced demand) and all you end up with is worse roads for everyone. 

I'm sure apart from the tram construction they aren't just doing roadworks for the sake of it...

I don't disagree but it's a case of making it so inconvenient that you can't use cars. I don't mind it taking the bike as often as I can, but it's making those roads hard to cycle on also.

That's not fair. That was a figure of speech. It does feel like it being slap bang in the middle of it. An example would be there no need for the 4 way traffic lights down at the bottom of Easter road outside the persevere when it's already taking the brunt of the Leith traffic. A bit of foresight would say it should have been handled better as it's just making everything around it horrific.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

• 1 month later...