Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Plans submitted for rail station near Inverness Airport. Great stuff. Mon the stations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55348594

This thing has been on the go for so long in various guises. They had permission several years ago to build one and did nothing with it for some reason. Looks like they've revised the design somewhat but it still seems in a pretty useless location. Not close enough to the airport and not really in a good place to service the new development at Tornagrain.

This thing has been on the go for so long in various guises. They had permission several years ago to build one and did nothing with it for some reason. Looks like they've revised the design somewhat but it still seems in a pretty useless location. Not close enough to the airport and not really in a good place to service the new development at Tornagrain.

You think? Tornagrain doesn’t look too far away going by a map. Nothing that a bus can’t sort out. The car park should absolutely include some sort of airport shuttle service, which I’m sure it will - thus saving people loads of money on car parking fees or taxis from Inverness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 21:59, jamamafegan said:

You think? Tornagrain doesn’t look too far away going by a map. Nothing that a bus can’t sort out. The car park should absolutely include some sort of airport shuttle service, which I’m sure it will - thus saving people loads of money on car parking fees or taxis from Inverness.

The bus takes about 20 minutes from Inverness or Nairn, no need for a taxi, and if you get a train you'll have to get off it and take another bus. Don't see the point.

The Greens are proposing a rail tunnel from Leith to Fife making use of the old Abbeyhill line at the east end of Waverely. Not sure exactly how that could work given that the remnants of that line have largely been built over so it may mean knocking down a lot of houses to build this through a pretty densely populated part of the city.

It's bit pie in the sky but still worth considering in some instances. A rail out to somewhere like Haddington wouldn't be as difficult with the old rail pathway still there.

I do agree with the concept of rail for all. They could arguably save a lot of budget just using the seafield lines IMO rather than digging a tunnel under Leith, although I've always thought the trams could be linked out there as soon as it's done it's Leith extension.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

The Greens are proposing a rail tunnel from Leith to Fife making use of the old Abbeyhill line at the east end of Waverely. Not sure exactly how that could work given that the remnants of that line have largely been built over so it may mean knocking down a lot of houses to build this through a pretty densely populated part of the city.

Think the plan is for an underground station at Leith - but yeah although the Abbeyhill line alignment goes under London Road and behind the retail park, there isn't much space to start a tunnel there.

A lot of money but it would shave at least 25 minutes off the time taken around the Fife coast for journeys to Perth/Highlands, Dundee, Aberdeen in one go.

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

It's bit pie in the sky but still worth considering in some instances. A rail out to somewhere like Haddington wouldn't be as difficult with the old rail pathway still there.

The problem is likely to be capacity constraints on the lines east of Waverley.

For a pretty mountainous country, Scotland has very few tunnels generally.  The Faroes (for example) have loads of tunnels and they're far smaller in terms of size and population than we are and yet they've also seemed to have managed to afford it before people come in claiming tunnels (including this Green plan) is too expensive.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that it's ridiculous that there's no line from Inverness to Fort William and people often say it's the terrain around Loch Ness that it was never built, yet Switzerland is a lot more mountainous than Scotland and also has a lot more railway lines (yes, I know they're loaded).  This constant attitude of 'we can't afford it!' really is tiresome and short-sighted.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Big fan of this project. These are all things that should exist anyway tbf.

Also suggesting putting a line to Westhill from Aberdeen and up to Fraserburgh, of which there is still some line that's been turned into a walkers route.

I think I mentioned that in the new Aberdeen stadium thread. Would be better than sitting on a shuttle bus!

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Think the plan is for an underground station at Leith - but yeah although the Abbeyhill line alignment goes under London Road and behind the retail park, there isn't much space to start a tunnel there.

A lot of money but it would shave at least 25 minutes off the time taken around the Fife coast for journeys to Perth/Highlands, Dundee, Aberdeen in one go.

There's a lot of new housing been built in this area in the last few years which would probably need to come down to make space for the tunnel were it ever to go ahead. Perhaps reinstating the line via Kinross might be a better way to shave off some time particularly for those travelling towards Perth and further north?

10 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I don't disagree currently, but isn't there plans to expand Waverley as it is?

Not sure about expanding it but I think there was talk of redevelopment of the station and constructing some kind of upper mezzanine level which might allow some platforms to be lengthened (again) but there doesn't seem to be much space for further platforms to be added. 

On 05/01/2021 at 23:14, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Was it in here that somebody mentioned the Irvine Monorail? Was featured on this programme tonight, which was a good watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r1xk

It was good, lots of 70s Ayrshire memories. 

Forgot the Bridgegate in Irvine was intended to be such a monstrosity...

S76-ICI-S5a-1-1.jpg

17 minutes ago, RiG said:

...There's a lot of new housing been built in this area in the last few years which would probably need to come down to make space for the tunnel were it ever to go ahead. Perhaps reinstating the line via Kinross might be a better way to shave off some time particularly for those travelling towards Perth and further north?

Problem is the motorway was built over a lot of the old railway alignment around Glenfarg, which is the main reason why the line was closed in the first place. A Leith to Kirkcaldy tunnel would line up better than going via Queensferry with both the Ladybank and Newburgh route to Perth and Inverness as well as the Ladybank and Cupar route to Dundee and Aberdeen. It also leaves the west side of Waverley free for more east - west services through to Glasgow and potentially takes a lot of freight traffic pressure away from the two bridges north over the Forth and the Carlisle to Carstairs stretch of the west coast main line. A price tag needs to be provided before we know whether this is realistic though.

19 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I don't disagree currently, but isn't there plans to expand Waverley as it is?

Don't think it's the station itself which would be the problem, it's more trying to find the extra paths to fit in a Haddington service in amongst those to North Berwick, Dunbar, and the East Coast traffic (plus unless you build a flyover junction the Haddington-bound trains have to cross the tracks at Longniddry ). There's been plans suggested for adding an extra line through Calton tunnels, four tracking the line and improving Portobello junction.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

There's a lot of new housing been built in this area in the last few years which would probably need to come down to make space for the tunnel were it ever to go ahead. Perhaps reinstating the line via Kinross might be a better way to shave off some time particularly for those travelling towards Perth and further north?

Didn't realise just how little space there was now that the houses have been built, with Google Maps being out of date. That entire area of housing would be useful for the tunnel portal, though the Abbeyhill line is single track and even then the gradient might be too steep to get it underground.

The line via Kinross only solves the Edinburgh to Perth problem, at least the Forth tunnel cuts journey times to Levenmouth, Dundee, and Aberdeen. Either side of the Glenfarg tunnels the trackbed is used by the M90 and houses at Kinross/Bridge of Earn so you need to create a new alignment by cutting into the hills or something.

https://www.RailMapOnline.com/UKIEMap.php?lat=56.30079&lng=-3.39695&zoom=12.0

Screenshot_2021-01-13 OpenStreetMap(1).png

https://news.stv.tv/politics/firth-of-forth-tunnel-part-of-22bn-greens-rail-plan?fbclid=IwAR2yzNoPJPFpgUaweYXnCkn_Dsr72u0IN-oaAV6LRYR2UAXxpCoPNyvp-58&top

Greens want to spend 22 billion on rail services, connecting any town over 5000 people, nationalising the rail infrastructure in addition to the Scotrail franchise and build a rail tunnel under the firth of forth.

The Green proposal is superb. Big fan of that. I’m a bit dubious about the tunnel though. I’m not from Fife or Edinburgh, I know a lot of Fifers commute to Edinburgh for work. Would this tunnel really make a difference? It’s an ambitious plan that could easily go over budget.

The plans to electrify the lines and service all places with over 5000 folk are spot on. Our network is crying out for that kind of reform.

59 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The Green proposal is superb. Big fan of that. I’m a bit dubious about the tunnel though. I’m not from Fife or Edinburgh, I know a lot of Fifers commute to Edinburgh for work. Would this tunnel really make a difference? It’s an ambitious plan that could easily go over budget.

The plans to electrify the lines and service all places with over 5000 folk are spot on. Our network is crying out for that kind of reform.

This story seems to have got lost over the past week or so ( Brexit, Covid-19, Storming of White House etc) but I find this a really exciting development

Scotland to have its first hydrogen-powered train running during COP26 - Energy Live News

Hydrogen powered trains could be a real game changer - not only reducing emissions from the transport network but creating a potentially huge market for hydrogen use.  Scotland could produce loads of green hydrogen in a few yars time primarily from offshore wind and this could be the impetus the industry needs.