Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 minute ago, ajwffc said:

that is the plan with  new stations at Clackmannan, Kincardine and Longannet and a half hourly service between Alloa and Longannet 

https://www.railbusinessdaily.com/rail-works-to-inform-project-development-for-fife-and-clackmannanshire/

Yeah, in the process of googling to confirm I hadnt fabricated the whole thing, I note a plan to start manufacturing trains at Longannet. Is that still a goer? All I really found was pre pandemic stuff. Would be good for the area by the sound of it. 

We definitely suffered from Beeching. It wouldn't have mattered that the A7 is a crap road if I could have got a train to Galashiels or Hawick all those years. Similarly Edinburgh once had a pretty decent city rail network but that was all ripped up. Glasgow managed to keep theirs and so if you're from Glasgow you can get a train to, say, Barrhead while in Edinburgh you can't get a train to,say, Penicuik.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, in the process of googling to confirm I hadnt fabricated the whole thing, I note a plan to start manufacturing trains at Longannet. Is that still a goer? All I really found was pre pandemic stuff. Would be good for the area by the sound of it. 

Talgo are still due to take over the site of the old Longannet power station when it is cleared 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Really we should bulldoze Harthill and put a big airport there and close Glasgow and Edinburgh airports.

Piece of pish. BP as the terminal, M8 as the runway, keep the Royal Bar and Gibbshill Park for pre-flight hospitality.

How much was my consultancy fee again?

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

The A77 is a disgrace - Why is an A road to a ferry hub going through village high streets?

1000x this. The A77 south of Ayr is an embarrassment when you consider the amount of HGVs going up and down it all day for the ferry.

Single carriageway the whole way, minimal crawler lanes, passes through narrow high streets, several low bridges which see the HGVs onto the middle of the fucking road. Incredibly dangerous and it’s entirely conceivable that you end up stuck in a half-mile long queue of traffic all the way between Ayr and Cairnryan.

If that road was anywhere near London it would have been dualled decades ago.

There are plans afoot to get rid of diesel trains. There's not a chance in hell the line between Perth and Inverness will be electrified by 2035 though.

https://www.railjournal.com/policy/scotland-unveils-rail-carbon-reduction-plans/

https://www.gov.scot/news/ambitious-plans-to-transform-scottish-rail-network-unveiled/

6 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Glasgow Airport doesn't even have a rail link. What about Edinburgh?

Despite the fact there is a railway line that goes through the grounds of the airport, they decided that trams were a better idea.

Edited by Shandön Par

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

People in Scotland should remember their place. Nothing else should be considered until we have paid our way to a ‘transformative’ high speed rail down South.. 

The idea that there is good infrastructure elsewhere in the UK is also a complete myth

868416272_Screenshot2020-09-13184846.thumb.png.e086fd89250a4dd4e06cf766379609fe.png

The bright yellow lines are real motorways. Miles behind Holland and Belgium. Germany has an extensive motorway network linking every major cities. Meanwhile in Britain you can't go from Scotland to Yorkshire without taking a shitty A road. West England, fuckall. Wales and the south west? enjoy your 1 good road.

Even the network around London is shite with everyone desperate to ditch their unbearably long commutes because of Covid.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

We definitely suffered from Beeching. It wouldn't have mattered that the A7 is a crap road if I could have got a train to Galashiels or Hawick all those years. Similarly Edinburgh once had a pretty decent city rail network but that was all ripped up. Glasgow managed to keep theirs and so if you're from Glasgow you can get a train to, say, Barrhead while in Edinburgh you can't get a train to,say, Penicuik.

The Aberdeenshire lines all went, and mostly ripped up. I think we were lucky to hold onto the Inverness line.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Aberdeenshire lines all went, and mostly ripped up. I think we were lucky to hold onto the Inverness line.

Beeching had an initial plan, fortunately scaled back, which would have retained the Edinburgh-Falkirk-Glasgow line, but absolutely nothing north of that

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And five years later, the North Sea strikes oil and virtually all of those lines would be handy and comfortably pay their way. Total lack of foresight. Even with the AWPR, the A93 is a horror just now, and the line to Ballater would be catnip for tourists, and ideal from Banchory eastbound for commuters. If we'd been independent 40 years ago and done a Norway it makes you sick what we could have done on the infrastructure front....