Music Autobiographies or Biographies

Jimi Shandrix

• 4 weeks later...

Peter Hook’s books are a good read. Doesn’t take himself too seriously and not afraid to call himself out on his stupidity and bad behaviour. Also cuttingly funny about his former band mates at times.   Enjoyed the Joy Division and Hacienda ‘How not to run a club’ ones in particular.

Johnny Marr’s autobiography is best avoided as it’s beyond dull. Pulls his punches on his time in The Smiths then it just turns into  ‘I was invited to play with this band. It was good.’  Morrissey’s had potential before it turned into a long bitter rant about Mike Joyce and the court case. 

On 14/09/2020 at 10:34, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I've got Neil Young's autobiography which I'm going to tackle next.

I think 'Shaky' by Jimmy McDonough is the best Neil Young book, although it's about 20 years old now and a lot has happened to him in the intervening time.

10 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Peter Hook’s books are a good read. Doesn’t take himself too seriously and not afraid to call himself out on his stupidity and bad behaviour. Also cuttingly funny about his former band mates at times.   Enjoyed the Joy Division and Hacienda ‘How not to run a club’ ones in particular.

Johnny Marr’s autobiography is best avoided as it’s beyond dull. Pulls his punches on his time in The Smiths then it just turns into  ‘I was invited to play with this band. It was good.’  Morrissey’s had potential before it turned into a long bitter rant about Mike Joyce and the court case. 

Yeah. I've read Hooky's books and they are amusing. 

He gets a slagging but I like him. I saw him live in Dundee a few years ago performing Unknown Pleasures. Some guy at the front was filming the gig on his phone, after a couple of songs Hook got pissed off and gave the guy a bollocking. He went up in my estimation after that.

• 1 month later...
On 13/09/2020 at 19:10, Academically Deficient said:

I know what you mean about Keith Richard's book, but I really enjoyed it.

I did find it odd that the first 5 Stones albums didn't merit a mention - I mean, that's got to be a big deal for anybody- but there were pages and pages on unreleased reggae demos made with his Jamaican pals.

Brian Jones would be on those albums

( and Trynka (?) 's book on Jones is really good )

Edited by ewan14

On 13/09/2020 at 00:19, Academically Deficient said:

Didn't enjoy this, maybe cos I read it on a family holiday in Majorca. The gloom of it ot could have ruined my week in the sun were it not for the Mahou and Estrella.

He does go into detail on the obvious controversy, but there's a nasty back story which put me off my buffet breakfast and mid morning tapas.

Not many laughs, despite being in the same band as Keith Moon. 4/10.

20200912_213052.jpg

Sorry , what was the nasty back story ?

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading Rob Halford's - Confess which was quite a good read  and now started on Ian Hunter - Rock and Roll Sweepstake which is a great insight into the man and Mott. The second part of this comes out later this month.  Also read Pete Way's Fast Ride Out of Here. Don't know how he lasted so long. Some scary stuff in there about his drug habits and marriages.

Not read many but really enjoyed Rotten: no blacks, no irish, no dogs. 

It's as subtle as you might imagine and nobody else understands anything apart from the genius Rotten. Especially Malcolm.  

Apart from not being very self aware, he does seem very honest, especially about being an arse to Glen Matlock for years. Although simultaneously i suspect he made a lot of stuff up. Bits about Sid are quite touching. 

The best bit was Steve Jones preparing a sandwich, the grotty b*****d. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not read many but really enjoyed Rotten: no blacks, no irish, no dogs. 

It's as subtle as you might imagine and nobody else understands anything apart from the genius Rotten. Especially Malcolm.  

Apart from not being very self aware, he does seem very honest, especially about being an arse to Glen Matlock for years. Although simultaneously i suspect he made a lot of stuff up. Bits about Sid are quite touching. 

Attacking people with a bicycle chain ?

P.S. Steve Jones book is supposed to be good

Edited by ewan14

On 13/09/2020 at 00:19, Academically Deficient said:

Didn't enjoy this, maybe cos I read it on a family holiday in Majorca. The gloom of it ot could have ruined my week in the sun were it not for the Mahou and Estrella.

He does go into detail on the obvious controversy, but there's a nasty back story which put me off my buffet breakfast and mid morning tapas.

Not many laughs, despite being in the same band as Keith Moon. 4/10.

20200912_213052.jpg

The Who revisionism - Keith Moon , not evil just dangerous !

Townsend ?

7 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Attacking people with a bicycle chain ?

P.S. Steve Jones book is supposed to be good

It's a long time since i read it, i'd forgotten that bit. 

I meant more about them having been friends for years and how it all went. 

The chain bit if i remember rightly was just Sid being Sid and anyway Nick Kent was a c**t.