Music Autobiographies or Biographies

Jimi Shandrix

Always looking for decent music autobiographies or biographies to read that are a bit more than "....so I snorted some coke off her tits and chucked a telly out the window." Thought the Brett Anderson one "Coal Black Mornings" was fantastic and quite unique in that it ends when Suede get signed. Stephen Gaines "Heroes and Villains" about the Beach Boys is another gem. John Taylor from Duran Duran's one was excellent as well. If I had to choose one though, I would plump for "Clothes, Music, Boys" by Viv Albertine of The Slits. Honest and brave doesn't even begin to describe it. Anybody got any more recommendations?

Great idea, nowadays this is probably the genre i turn to most.

Viv Albertine's was great.

Also this year I really enjoyed Lonely Boy by Steve Jones. Even more honest and a bit grim in places. Funny in others.

One, Two, Three, Four by Craig Brown about the Beatles was quite magnificent. I love the Fab Four, but I reckon this is just a great book in general, even if you don't hugely care for them. Very unusual structure and highlights the countless weird coincidences that featured in their lives, and some of the details about people on the periphery of the familiar story are great too. Will definitely read it again.

Peter Guralnick's books about Elvis are also highly recommended.

Would never expect you to go and read this but Pimp C's Trill Life Story by Julia Beverly must be one of the most comprehensive biographies of any genre and details a side of hip hop that even a lot of US listeners don't pay attention to let alone UK with it's description of hip hop in the south in general.

I can recommend no one ever reads the Kim Gordon one as it's truly terrible. Swimming in vaguely the same kind though, Juliana Hatfield's is ok.

Can't say I've read many good ones - usually the music journo-written ones do the standard thing of telling the story of the group as basically know it already with as many fawning and breathless admirers as they can cram in adding their wee anecdote. There's a Beck one by Rob Jovanovich that isn't too bad. 

Lee Brilleaux, Rock & Roll Gentleman by Zoe Howe is a great insight into Lee & Dr Feelgood. 

The Cake & The Rain is Jimmy Webb's autobiography. Fascinating.

Wild Tales by Graham Nash is well worth reading.

6 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

His book on soul music is outstanding - Sweet Soul Music.

8 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

I can recommend no one ever reads the Kim Gordon one as it's truly terrible. Swimming in vaguely the same kind though, Juliana Hatfield's is ok.

Can't say I've read many good ones - usually the music journo-written ones do the standard thing of telling the story of the group as basically know it already with as many fawning and breathless admirers as they can cram in adding their wee anecdote. There's a Beck one by Rob Jovanovich that isn't too bad. 

Oooft. Controversial. I thought the Kim Gordon one was really good. Morrissey on the other hand, now there was a truly horrendous read.

25 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Great idea, nowadays this is probably the genre i turn to most.

Viv Albertine's was great.

Also this year I really enjoyed Lonely Boy by Steve Jones. Even more honest and a bit grim in places. Funny in others.

One, Two, Three, Four by Craig Brown about the Beatles was quite magnificent. I love the Fab Four, but I reckon this is just a great book in general, even if you don't hugely care for them. Very unusual structure and highlights the countless weird coincidences that featured in their lives, and some of the details about people on the periphery of the familiar story are great too. Will definitely read it again.

The Steve Jones one sounds interesting. He came across as quite the c*** in the Viv Albertine book.

I enjoyed this biography on John Lennon - both the film Nowhere Boy and the  book (Imagine This) on which it was based, by his sister Julia Baird. Incredible what Lennon managed to achieve despite a very disturbed and troubled childhood.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

The Steve Jones one sounds interesting. He came across as quite the c*** in the Viv Albertine book.

He sure did. He admits his failings, but the grimness I alluded to maybe explains the insecurity that probably drove a lot of the cuntishness. He doesn't look for sympathy though. He also has a very different take on things from Lydon's book.

Reading a lot of music autobiography makes you wish you were in a successful band. This book made me kinda glad I wasn't.

I've not read many.

TBH I'm only really interested in the music itself. I couldn't care less about the personality or lifestyle of the performers or how "authentic" they are. 

That said though. Julian Cope's books are entertaining and I enjoyed Peter Hook's ones about Joy Division and The Hacienda.

7 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Excellent if you are a fan of the Fall.

Probably best avoided otherwise, unless you want to find out how miserable and poorly paid being in a cult indie band can be at times.

20200912_213011.jpg

I'll add this to the list. Mark E Smith's book was very entertaining

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I'll add this to the list. Mark E Smith's book was very entertaining

Renegade? Yes, loved that. 

Do you remember him being proud of the game he invented as a wee boy - Japenese Prisoner of War Camp? With him as the Commander and wee sister the PoWs?

Bonkers 😆

1 minute ago, Academically Deficient said:

Renegade? Yes, loved that. 

Do you remember him being proud of the game he invented as a wee boy - Japenese Prisoner of War Camp? With him as the Commander and wee sister the PoWs?

Bonkers 😆

😄 We shall never see his like again. Legend.

Didn't enjoy this, maybe cos I read it on a family holiday in Majorca. The gloom of it ot could have ruined my week in the sun were it not for the Mahou and Estrella.

He does go into detail on the obvious controversy, but there's a nasty back story which put me off my buffet breakfast and mid morning tapas.

Not many laughs, despite being in the same band as Keith Moon. 4/10.

20200912_213052.jpg

Pete Townsends book and the footage of his detention by the police show that there is sometimes smoke without fire. His opinion of Live Aid was pretty stark. Tony Fletchers book on Keith Moon is very good, dispels a few myths about him.

Keith Richards and Steven Tyler's books were very hard to read, both written in their conversational style.....you'd struggle to follow it with  radar. 

The Beastie Boys book is very good but most of it is covered in the documentary and it is done with a bit more style

Edited by diegomarahenry

My Bass and other animals by Guy Pratt is a decent read, full of self deprecating stories & I was amazed as to how many bands/songs he has been involved with. His lockdown videos on YT were also quite entertaining for any fellow weirdos who enjoy listening to the technicalities of the bass.