Toots Hibbert RIP

Big Rider

A stupidly consistent live performer, some of the Toots and The Maytals gigs I was at are among the best gigs I've ever been to. Considering that he was already in his 60s when I first saw him it's ridiculous that he continued performing to such a standard. One of the greatest voices ever.

55 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Farewell to the wonderful voice of Toots Hibbert. So glad I got to see him a couple of years ago in Glasgow. What a voice.

Shite news, for a guy in mid/late Seventies he still had some power in his vocals. Some great songs for his legacy though.

Toots and the Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, Prince Buster, King Stitt, Lord Tanamo, Dandy Livingston etc. etc had a massive influence on me and helped shape my world view.  

I grew up during the Ska/mod revival of The Specials, Madness, The Jam etc and they led me to the Clash, Ska, Trojan records, Reggae.

For a young loon fae Eberdeen, this was my first real exposure to the notion of diversity and it was just so satisfying to listen to.   Without getting too heavy, it helped form my early impressions on race and colour.  How could anyone not celebrate the talent and genius of  Toots and the Maytals or Jimmy Cliff, because they were black.   It just didn't make sense and still doesn't.

There will always be a little part of Culter that is "sweet and dandy"

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

Guess there won’t be that many people on this thread. An absolute legend of a man.

Was meant to see him live last year and circumstances dictated I couldn’t go at the last minute. Was pissed off at the time, gutted now.

Like Adonis, the route to him was through the UK Ska revival, into Trojan/Jamaican Ska/Marley then you discover Toots.

Some legacy in his back catalogue.

Really gutted about this one. Seen Toots & The Maytals about four or five times over the last 10/15 years and despite his age, was ridiculously energetic (the last time I saw him, he was clearly fucked after the first two tunes, but never let up and his voice was always impeccable). His new record released last month is very good as well.

Justin Townes Earle and Toots Hibbert both going within a few weeks of each other is brutal.