Aberdeen v Killie - Att. 300

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Good win against a decent team. Hoban was outstanding, but McKenna and Considine were also excellent - it's a really strong, well balanced back three. Hayes was very good and the last couple of games have shown beyond doubt that it was the correct decision to sign him; we seem to have found a role for him where he can have some influence in all thirds of the pitch. I think there are still improvements to be made, and Wright should have scored after he was played through by Watkins to give us a more comfortable last quarter of an hour, but it's a good start. 

Hayes was excellent against Hibs and again today.

Chances you created? A few maybe but not a great deal 

Hayes produced two very good saves from Rogers in the second half whilst Wright really should have scored. I thought Kilmarnock played plenty decent football and on another day may have nicked a goal but can’t remember Joe Lewis having a save to make?

Strangely on this occasion, bringing on a couple of more defensively minded players actually got us up the park more effectively than we had done for the previous 10-15 mins when an equaliser was starting to look inevitable.

Kilmarnock are decent, and were always going to have a spell - but over the piece, another job well done with the welcome sight of competition in most positions.

Bring on Viking.

When we are playing dour football and dropping points every second or third game, the match threads are pages long and folk are tripping over themselves to get their opinions in. When we have a more than decent team going on a four match (league) winning streak, playing some really good football, creating some decent chances, the moaning b*****ds are nowhere to be seen and match threads are over just after the final whistle. Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I’m over the moon with the way that Tommie Hoban has calmed down the rest of our defence. I no longer have the fear every time the opposition attack, and he deserves some praise for that.

Must admit I was sceptical of him signing given his injury record and limited appearances for us before, but delighted he’s proving me wrong!

2 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I’m over the moon with the way that Tommie Hoban has calmed down the rest of our defence. I no longer have the fear every time the opposition attack, and he deserves some praise for that.

He is getting better all the time. In his first game against St Johnstone, although a lot of people thought he had a good game, I thought that he looked very slow and hesitant but got away with it. Since then he has definitely improved and has made me feel reasonably comfortable in watching an Aberdeen team playing a back 3 for possibly the first time in my life.

17 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Whisper it lads, but we’ve actually got a very decent team here.

Early days yet but I think it's fair to say that it's been very much a team effort in the last few days with everyone in the starting eleven making a very decent contribution. And the value of a fairly strong bench with McGinn and especially McGeouch adding something to the mix and competition within the squad for places can't be underestimated.

There's no doubt we're now looking capable of causing opponents problems from a variety of sources. But I think McInnes'll be taking most satisfaction from the fact that our opponents are being limited to relatively few chances and are increasingly having to at least work for their chances. 

Too early to say that the frequent loss of cheap goals is a thing of the past (eg the recent Livvy goal) but the signs are promising.

That's enough positivity though. What's gonna upset the applecart first ?.... sale of player ? ....injury? .... harsh red card ?

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

He is getting better all the time. In his first game against St Johnstone, although a lot of people thought he had a good game, I thought that he looked very slow and hesitant but got away with it. Since then he has definitely improved and has made me feel reasonably comfortable in watching an Aberdeen team playing a back 3 for possibly the first time in my life.

Interesting point about the back 3. 

There's no doubt at all that playing Kennedy and Hayes as wing backs is giving us a huge amount of options. I'm not entirely certain the Kennedy is 100% comfortable there, but at the moment he's putting in a decent shift.

Jonny Hayes is just a machine. He can play wherever asked, and yesterday seemed to get stronger as the game went on. He's good in the tackle and surprisingly decent in the air for a leprechaun. 

The centre of midfield with McCrorie and Ferguson is rock solid, the best in Scotland, and somehow Hedges and Wright are combining like they're lovers, and Watkins has slotted in as if to the manor born (although a goal or 2 would be nice). 

Almost out of nowhere, for the first time in 5 years we look like a good, attacking unit. Yeeeh ha. 

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

When we are playing dour football and dropping points every second or third game, the match threads are pages long and folk are tripping over themselves to get their opinions in. When we have a more than decent team going on a four match (league) winning streak, playing some really good football, creating some decent chances, the moaning b*****ds are nowhere to be seen and match threads are over just after the final whistle. Long may it continue.

There's a lot less to say when we've played well and win Joey.

We're now doing what most of us have said we should be doing for a couple of years now. Long may it continue.

23 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Was anyone in the crowd of 300?

my folks were. They fair  enjoyed themselves, although  apparently very hard to control yourself when youre nae supposed to be shouting too much. They said you got given a 15 min slot to turn up (they had to be there between 14:15 and 14:30) and queue to get in. You were IDed at the door to make sure it was you (Maggie Thatchers grand plan finally in place) and then shown to yr seat. Seemed to be around 50% women and a real mix of ages and groups, all the same households sitting together in 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s like u can see in the picture. Seems the selection process wasnt quite as random as made out as I dont think thats a true cross section of our support, but I suppose they wanted to make sure it worked with the group least likely to make trouble. 

During the match it was lots of clapping and whistling, but obviously nae much of an atmosphere. No pie stand, but the club shop was open. I guess this is just the first step needed to get back to where we need to be, and it sounds like it went fine. I dont think my insider info really tells you much more than you could have assumed or gathered from just reading social media tbh.

Smashing win for us against a decent Killie side. the 3-4-3 formation weve got rn really excites me, with essentially two sets of wingers on either side, and Watkins almost as a false 9, dropping deep and linking play. Ferguson and McCrorie make it work though - because they can do a bit of everything, they can do the work  of a midfield three, freeing up an extra  man to attack. As has been said above, the back three of Considine, McKenna and hoban are also really well balanced, with McKenna a stopper, hoban more of a footballer, and Considine naturally the former, but due to his experience at LB, can also play a bit these days. Cant wait for thursday night now.

my folks were. They fair  enjoyed themselves, although  apparently very hard to control yourself when youre nae supposed to be shouting too much. They said you got given a 15 min slot to turn up (they had to be there between 14:15 and 14:30) and queue to get in. You were IDed at the door to make sure it was you (Maggie Thatchers grand plan finally in place) and then shown to yr seat. Seemed to be around 50% women and a real mix of ages and groups, all the same households sitting together in 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s like u can see in the picture. Seems the selection process wasnt quite as random as made out as I dont think thats a true cross section of our support, but I suppose they wanted to make sure it worked with the group least likely to make trouble. 
During the match it was lots of clapping and whistling, but obviously nae much of an atmosphere. No pie stand, but the club shop was open. I guess this is just the first step needed to get back to where we need to be, and it sounds like it went fine. I dont think my insider info really tells you much more than you could have assumed or gathered from just reading social media tbh.
Smashing win for us against a decent Killie side. the 3-4-3 formation weve got rn really excites me, with essentially two sets of wingers on either side, and Watkins almost as a false 9, dropping deep and linking play. Ferguson and McCrorie make it work though - because they can do a bit of everything, they can do the work  of a midfield three, freeing up an extra  man to attack. As has been said above, the back three of Considine, McKenna and hoban are also really well balanced, with McKenna a stopper, hoban more of a footballer, and Considine naturally the former, but due to his experience at LB, can also play a bit these days. Cant wait for thursday night now.

One photo I did see online seemed to show 4 adults sat together. Two older adults and two younger. I’d be surprised if they were from the same household group but what do I know 🤷‍♂️