Stalingrad

14 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Can't argue with you on this one tbf. Have you read the Vasily Grossman novel?

I have not, what is it called?  I have only one book so far, Stalingrad by Anthony Beever.  About halfway through, its outstanding.  Best book about a war I've read since maybe A Bridge Too Far.

5 minutes ago, JamboMikey said:

Those kids have no idea whatsoever of what went on at Stalingrad. Although I can in no way compare my struggle reading it with that of the Red Army, it has been a very big read.

It was utterly mental. Lasted for five months and one week and a couple of days.  In that time, in the city of Stalingrad, the NKVD executed over 13500 of their own soldiers to maintain order.

They were getting executed for anything.  Works out at around 100 per day.  For comparison the British Army executed around 300 in the entirety of WWI.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have not, what is it called?  I have only one book so far, Stalingrad by Anthony Beever.  About halfway through, its outstanding.  Best book about a war I've read since maybe A Bridge Too Far.

It's a two parter - Stalingrad and Life and Fate. It's a biggish read but very worthwhile (so far, I keep picking it up and going back to it between other books)

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Actually when I ordered it I saw the Berlin one and planned to get it next.  I assume they're all good? Loving Stalingrad so far.

Berlin truly is an excellent read.  Perhaps even better written than Stalingrad.  I’m not going to spoil it for everyone though and tell you how it ends......

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

1396742320_Vasili_Zitsev.jpg.c3736201a148d812bc1586ab4e171a59.jpg

The absolute boy. 225 confirmed kills.

His reward, being played by Jude Law.

Tbf a couple of the scenes in that are excellent.  I also just watched the 1993 German film Stalingrad.  Its pretty good, a more recent Hollywood one too, not bad either.  I prefer the German one though, the pathos of it was awesome.

Berlin one is excellent. There's a non fiction book about Stalingrad called Enemy at the Gates by William Craig, which is as good as Antony Beevor's imo.

Breakout at Stalingrad by Heinrich Gerlach is a fascinating fictionalized account of the battle. There's quite an interesting story behind it. The author was captured and wrote the book in captivity. The Soviet guards confiscated it. When he finally made it back to Germany he was hypnotized in order to remember and rewrite the book, which was then published. The original manuscript was discovered in Soviet archives decades later and published in its own right.