Motherwell vs St Johnstone 12/09/20

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

How was Campbell's goal today?  Another 'sclaff' I take it?

Much better, though i think the St Johnstone keeper vould have done better and thr Defenders could have taken a yellow card to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Yeah I thought we looked fairly comfortable for the most part but St Johnstone's two best chances both came from mistakes by Lamie- with McGinley back I wouldn't be against binning him and moving back to a back four. By contrast and on a more positive note, big Bevis continues to impress. 

Overall, I don't think we there was really too much difference to our other performances so far this season. Except this time we got our noses in front and sat back while the other team struggled to break us down. Certainly didn't make for good viewing though.

However, I'd have happily taken a win and a clean sheet before the game so I won't complain too much.

Edited by Casagolda

Like most, I'm sure Lamie was brought in as a squad player, and only our chronic bad luck with injuries has seen him as a regular starter, but these absolute howlers he's guaranteed to have in every game are going to cost us goals. With an already substantial squad size though, the only other option just now would be to have faith in one of the younger fringe players, and I'm not sure in our current position that Robinson would take that chance. 

In contrast, after a couple of games to settle, big Bevis is proving he can be a decent, no frills defender at this level. 

Far from a great spectacle yesterday, but it was crucial to get the win. We're still badly misfiring from middle to front, but I have faith that it will come, and for all they controlled a lot of possession, outwith Lamie's baws ups Saints never troubled Carsons goal much at all.

All in all, a good 3pts, we will click (eventually), and Allan Campbell is THE fkn man. 

It felt a bit of a throwback to the 'just fucking win' sort of performance when Robinson took over from McGhee in so much as the performance really didn't matter as long as we got a win. Which is fine - we won.

It was a fair distance from the sexy Motherwell 433 but at the same time we're in a position where we're having to draw up new plans since the number of largely redundant wingers filling the squad suggests we didn't go into the season with a view to playing a 352.

The '2' part should probably be the next part we're looking to address. Watt and Lang feels like it probably has most potential but if we could settle on two from the three of Lang, Long and Watt and give them a run in the side that would probably be a step forward. Fwiw, I thought both Watt and Lang knocked their respective pans in.

Having said that, other than Lamie trying to sell the jerseys we seemed largely comfortable. The only times St Johnstone really got in behind were the Lamie mistakes. I'll admit it hits slightly different when you're watching the full 90 and already know the score though so my experience of the game is probably pretty different to those who were watching it live.

Sitting on a 1-0 for 86 mins is pretty fucking bold given some of the goals we've chucked in this season and the 'where is a win coming from?' crew would have had plenty to say if we hadn't seen it out.

I know big Bev did a bit on the socials the other week talking about the benefit of getting a run in the team and I'm sure that's a thing but similarly it's surely no coincidence that his relative upturn in form has come with us going to a back 3 and the only distribution he's being asked to do is either right and left 5-10 yards to Gallagher and Lamie or back to Carson.

3 points though. Fucking yaaaasss!

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

The 3-5-2 will certainly look a lot better when McGinley can go to the left of the back three and Carroll goes LWB. Whats the story with him - when's he due back? 

As for the front two, Lang and Watt look to me like two really good 'second strikers'. We all know Watt has never been prolific, but he's a very good footballer. Lang seems to have potential. The issue we have is that, IMO, Long is our best 'no.9' but he appears to still be in his shite attitude stage. If we can get him firing, I think him up top alongside Watt has great potential. 

4 hours ago, Desp said:

The 3-5-2 will certainly look a lot better when McGinley can go to the left of the back three and Carroll goes LWB. Whats the story with him - when's he due back? 

As for the front two, Lang and Watt look to me like two really good 'second strikers'. We all know Watt has never been prolific, but he's a very good footballer. Lang seems to have potential. The issue we have is that, IMO, Long is our best 'no.9' but he appears to still be in his shite attitude stage. If we can get him firing, I think him up top alongside Watt has great potential. 

Aye the other thing is that a 2 addresses the whole 'Long isn't a central 9 in a front 3' issue.

Either way, by my count, there have only been 2 games this season where we've had the same forward line b2b (and we didn't score in either):

vs St Johnstone (W - 1-0): Watt/Lang
vs Celtic (L - 3-0): Watt/Long
vs Glentoran (W - 5-1): Lang/Long
vs Accies (L: 0-1): Seedorf/White/Lang
vs Hibs (X - 0-0): Seedorf/Lang/White
vs Livi (X - 2-2): Seedorf/White/Long
vs United (L - 0-1): Seedorf/Hastie/Long
vs County (L - 1- 0): Hastie/Long/(Turnbull - wtf? etc)

I mean, clearly there have been issues with other areas of the team eg: Not having a fit left back, Donnelly's knee exploding, our only right back's form going off a cliff and Lang's suspension for kicking Gardyne's leg off but it's difficult to imagine that amount of switching players in and out has been helpful.

Edited by capt_oats