League 1 title odds

CM.

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I could be wrong but I feel like those odds are really overrating Cove. Think the gap in quality between last season's League Two and this season's League One is bigger than them being third favourites suggests.

Bookies are there to make money, and Cove is the biggest unknown in the League. To be absolutely fair, setting odds for stuff like this is a game of getting people to bite for the smallest payout possible. They deliberately shorten the odds of popular bets, and lengthen the odds on the less popular, to get punters to lay down the dosh.

Tack some number like 5/1 on Cove and the faithful feel the team is respected and bet anyway, and that way the bookies don’t lose their shorts if Cove pull it off. A team like EF is probably much closer to a 10-15/1 proposition, but they probably want to attract more action on them.

Bookies are there to make money, and Cove is the biggest unknown in the League. To be absolutely fair, setting odds for stuff like this is a game of getting people to bite for the smallest payout possible. They deliberately shorten the odds of popular bets, and lengthen the odds on the less popular, to get punters to lay down the dosh.
Tack some number like 5/1 on Cove and the faithful feel the team is respected and bet anyway, and that way the bookies don’t lose their shorts if Cove pull it off. A team like EF is probably much closer to a 10-15/1 proposition, but they probably want to attract more action on them.

Clearly an expert on bookmarking too. Marvellous

7 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

They've got a couple of players that should be standouts at this level Fraser Fyvie and Mitch Megginson but the rest I barely recognise.

Would expect they'll comfortably stay up but can't see them finishing ahead of Falkirk, Thistle or Airdrie.

Clearly I'm going to be slightly biased here but will try and be impartial.

We are an unknown and League 1 is obviously uncharted territory for us. We have a good core squad but I feel we need 2 standout signings (permanent or loanees) to in anyway justify our odds. Something akin to Declan Glass.

Mitch was outstanding last season and is coming into the prime of his career. I fully expect him to have another great season. Fyvie is good for this level but petulant.

A few you might not know are Harry Milne (left back), Connor Scully (defensive midfielder), Blair Yule, ex Arbroath (right back). All will shine in League 1.

Rory McAllister has something to prove after a poor start to his Cove career IMO. I'd put him on the bench. Almost go as far to say he's now League 2 level.

I don't know enough about our signings so far; Leighton McIntosh, Adam Livingstone and Seb Ross.

Personally I'm just interested to see the standard of League 1, how it compares to League 2 and how we compete. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Cove are difficult to call as they’re an unknown quantity. I think they will stay up and could get into the playoffs, however, can’t see them getting into the top 3. But hey I could be proven wrong.

Edited by R&Y99

Cove are difficult to call as they’re an unknown quantity. I think they will stay up and could get into the playoffs, however, can’t see them getting into the top 3. But hey I could be proven wrong.

Exactly how I see it. Would expect them to challenge well for the playoffs but hard to put them amongst the favourites for the title with Thistle, Falkirk, Airdrie (two full time teams and one hybrid that's almost entirely full time) in the league. Montrose and East Fife were strong last season too and could be again - I'm impressed by EF's signing of Danny Swanson. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another multi-team title race like last season.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Exactly how I see it. Would expect them to challenge well for the playoffs but hard to put them amongst the favourites for the title with Thistle, Falkirk, Airdrie (two full time teams and one hybrid that's almost entirely full time) in the league. Montrose and East Fife were strong last season too and could be again - I'm impressed by EF's signing of Danny Swanson. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another multi-team title race like last season.

Completely agree. I also expect the top three to consist of Thistle, Falkirk and Airdrie. And the battle for 4th to be between Cove, East Fife and Montrose. 

With the First Minister's announcement on Thursday to hold back the return of fans, less hospitality & no sign of pay-at-the-gate supporters, it may come down to who can survive the season & a worse 6 months may be yet to come for our clubs. We can merely base our predictions at this stage on perceived income of clubs & last season's results. A 27 games season may help sides like East Fife, who have crashed & burned in recent seasons & i doubt anyone will run away from the pack.

Falkirk have got the message pretty quickly that to get out of this league, you need to build a squad to get you out of this league, just now I'd make them slight favourites. Partick, I know less about. The dream management team  of McCall & Armstrong, won't have come cheap & being able to afford to keep them in place might have a say in where they end up. They also haven't won this calendar year. Hardly inspiring. It'll be closer than the bookies suggest between those 2.

Don't rule Airdrie out of it completely, more than capable of making it hard for the top 2, but i think they'll end up 3rd.

East Fife have the best squad in years, it would be a huge disappointment if they failed to get into the top 4, again.

Cove, an unknown quantity. Probably finish mid-table, 4th place, at best.

Montrose, again in the mix. Holding onto the highly-rated manager might be the difference.

Clyde & Dumbarton, much the same as last season. Don't see either troubling the play off places during the season.

Forfar, Chris Antoniazzi will prove to be a shining light, in an, otherwise disappointing season

Peterhead, should be exciting Derbies with Cove, don't see much else to excite the blue-toon hopeful.

Lets hope no-one goes into administration during the campaign & paying crowds can get back in soon, face masked up & socially distant.

Sanitised fingers crossed, I'll see you all at Bayview soon!

Guest bernardblack
We are an unknown and League 1 is obviously uncharted territory for us. We have a good core squad but I feel we need 2 standout signings (permanent or loanees) to in anyway justify our odds. Something akin to Declan Glass.
Mitch was outstanding last season and is coming into the prime of his career. I fully expect him to have another great season. Fyvie is good for this level but petulant.
A few you might not know are Harry Milne (left back), Connor Scully (defensive midfielder), Blair Yule, ex Arbroath (right back). All will shine in League 1.
Rory McAllister has something to prove after a poor start to his Cove career IMO. I'd put him on the bench. Almost go as far to say he's now League 2 level.
I don't know enough about our signings so far; Leighton McIntosh, Adam Livingstone and Seb Ross.
Personally I'm just interested to see the standard of League 1, how it compares to League 2 and how we compete. 

Rory McAllister has always fascinated me, as I’ve never seen him have a good game against us

On 11/09/2020 at 21:59, CoveRangers1922 said:

I might get shot down here but based on the past few times I've seen McAllister I'd say he's been league 2 standard for a year or so now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 07:27, bernardblack said:

Rory McAllister has always fascinated me, as I’ve never seen him have a good game against us

Favourite memory of McAllister was him getting red carded after Dods had been winding him up.  He was a seething mess leaving the pitch, Dods had a massive grin on his face which probably didn't help.  Like yourself, I never saw him have a good game against us, he seemed too intent at whinging at his own team mates.

• 2 weeks later...

We are all making the assumption that the league programme will be completed to a fair conclusion, think I would have a couple of quid on no outright winner after the Coronavirus and the usual winter weather leaves a postponement mountain that results in the SPFL declaring the league null and void.  What is already evident in the BetFred Cup and Premier League I expect can only get much worse if the trends with this virus continue to show a deteriorating situation.