Rangers v Dundee Utd

4 hours ago, stressball said:

If you take a look at a Rangers forum (no not always Rangers media) there is definitely some bitterness and residual hatred for Dundee United on their part.

I’m sure there will be but I’ve always enjoyed the games against Utd and think the league is better off with them in it rather than some of the other teams. 

Rather than harbour bitterness from the events of 2012 I prefer to remember games such as winning the league at Tannadice in 97 and 09, Negri and Boyds 5 goals in one game, the 7-1 win in Fergie’s return game in 2005, Mark Kerr’s slack backpass to the goalkeeper in 2008, I could go on. Some great memories.

37 minutes ago, thepundit said:

I’m sure there will be but I’ve always enjoyed the games against Utd and think the league is better off with them in it rather than some of the other teams. 

Rather than harbour bitterness from the events of 2012 I prefer to remember games such as winning the league at Tannadice in 97 and 09, Negri and Boyds 5 goals in one game, the 7-1 win in Fergie’s return game in 2005, Mark Kerr’s slack backpass to the goalkeeper in 2008, I could go on. Some great memories.

That was a different club, was it not? The one that used EBTs? 😁

1 hour ago, thepundit said:

Delete this.

Naemair.gif.ef7feb6b7ab2086cc64011e983018b77.gif

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I actually like Ally McCoist, but he is a bit of a fcukwit!

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Me too. I think he's alright.

To be fair, when you read the article there's nothing particularly controversial there. Standard Daily Record clickbait.

Disagree, he's an ar5ehole, and most Sevco fans I know and their antecedents thought the same of him when he was a manager.

You are right about nothing controversial, but that article will be changed, because of this line:  "The Ibrox legend was manager when the club was liquidated eight years ago. "

Kris Boyd talks about bitterness between United and Rangers but apparently it is all United's fault. 

He is also perpetuating this myth United's crowds dipped with Rangers being out of the league  

"then presided over a barren period, where attendances slid" 

The facts United's attendances went up after Rangers demise. Rangers had nothing to do with our tumble to the championship. 

United's average attendances

Rangers in Premiership

11/12 7412

No Rangers in the Premiership

12/13 7663
13/14 7608
14/15 7895
15/16 8285

Rangers vs Dundee United is now filled with bitterness thanks to Stephen Thompson, says Kris Boyd

Rangers v Dundee United was never one of Scottish football’s great rivalries.

But events over the past decade have turned it into a fixture filled with bitterness

There is no doubt who is responsible for the breakdown in relations — former Arabs chairman Stephen Thompson.

It all started in 2009, when a game between them at Tannadice was abandoned at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch.

I remember it well, as I was playing that day and we were leading 1-0 when the ref correctly called a halt to proceedings.

In the aftermath, a row over ticket arrangements proved the catalyst for a spectacular fall-out

Thompson refused to let Rangers fans use the same briefs for the rearranged game and he wouldn’t give them a refund, either.

He was determined to make a quick buck by charging punters twice for the same match.

It caused a lot of ill-feeling and resentment.

Some fans took United to court in an attempt to be reimbursed — a case that they ultimately lost.

But while that was bad enough and left a nasty taste, the animosity would be cranked up a notch three years later.

Dislike became full-blown hatred in the wake of Rangers self- imploding and tumbling into liquidation.

And as United prepare for their first league trip to Ibrox in nine years, that ill-feeling is still very much alive and kicking.

When Rangers were on their knees, it was United who kicked them hardest.

Thompson seemed to take a strange satisfaction in their demise, ignoring pleas for help and instead putting the boot in.

The former United supremo was one of the leading voices pushing for Rangers not to be admitted to the top flight before they ended up in the Third Division.

He played to the gallery — but at what cost to his own club?

Maybe he viewed it as a chance to capitalise on Rangers’ absence.

Perhaps he believed United were good enough to finish best of the rest behind Celtic and claim a Champions League slot.

Maybe he thought they would get a bigger slice of the television money with the Ibrox men out of the equation.

Unfortunately, the viewing figures tell you interest wanes considerably unless the Old Firm are involved.

Like a lot of other club chiefs, Thompson voted against Rangers being admitted into the top flight following their financial collapse. He did it to appease the United support, when a smarter businessman would have seen the bigger picture

Michael Johnston, who was Kilmarnock chairman at the time, got a lot of stick from his own fans for voting the other way.

They criticised him for trying to help Rangers, but he did it for purely selfish financial reasons.

Two league visits per season from Rangers are worth an awful lot of money to provincial clubs.

Thompson let his ego get the better of him and then presided over a barren period, where attendances slid and United also went on the slide. He loved playing to the crowd and trying to appease punters.

He did it again in 2014, when any remote hope of patching up the feud went up in flames.

In a dispute during negotiations to buy Ibrox youngster Charlie Telfer, Thompson claimed Rangers only had “two years of history”

Yet another cheap shot.

But if he thinks that is what United fans will remember him for, then he is sadly mistaken.

He will always be known as the man who took the club into the Championship, where it would take them four years to get back out. His sacking of Jackie McNamara and Simon Donnelly — and the breaking up of a talented young team — was another spectacular own goal.

The resulting fire sale of top players and the low-grade replacements are ultimately what led to their relegation.

And this was all on his watch.

It is little wonder Rangers supporters have no time for United any more.

Yet despite their conduct, I was still delighted to see United back in the Premiership this season.

They are the seventh biggest club in the country and they don’t belong in the Championship. I’ve also been really impressed by Micky Mellon in the games I have covered for Sky Sports so far this season.

I think he was a shrewd appointment by the new people running the club.

Apart from the hammering at Kilmarnock two weeks ago, they have acquitted themselves well.

They are now slowly on the up after a decade of decline — ten years when Thompson was too busy taking pot-shots at Rangers to notice that his own club was drowning.

I take no satisfaction in sticking up for Stephen Thompson. That said, isn't it remarkable that in every single one of these articles that have appeared this week, all with no other purpose but to perpetuate bad feelings between the two clubs, they never provide a single quote of Thompson's apparently particularly vocal opposition to Sevco taking Rangers place in 2012?

Also strange that all these types of stories this week have only mentioned that Rangers fans were charged half for the re-arranged game called off at half time over a decade ago.

49 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

Kris Boyd talks about bitterness between United and Rangers but apparently it is all United's fault. 

He is also perpetuating this myth United's crowds dipped with Rangers being out of the league  

"then presided over a barren period, where attendances slid" 

The facts United's attendances went up after Rangers demise. Rangers had nothing to do with our tumble to the championship. 

United's average attendances

Rangers in Premiership

11/12 7412

No Rangers in the Premiership

12/13 7663
13/14 7608
14/15 7895
15/16 8285

Rangers vs Dundee United is now filled with bitterness thanks to Stephen Thompson, says Kris Boyd

Rangers v Dundee United was never one of Scottish football’s great rivalries.

But events over the past decade have turned it into a fixture filled with bitterness

There is no doubt who is responsible for the breakdown in relations — former Arabs chairman Stephen Thompson.

It all started in 2009, when a game between them at Tannadice was abandoned at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch.

I remember it well, as I was playing that day and we were leading 1-0 when the ref correctly called a halt to proceedings.

In the aftermath, a row over ticket arrangements proved the catalyst for a spectacular fall-out

Thompson refused to let Rangers fans use the same briefs for the rearranged game and he wouldn’t give them a refund, either.

He was determined to make a quick buck by charging punters twice for the same match.

It caused a lot of ill-feeling and resentment.

Some fans took United to court in an attempt to be reimbursed — a case that they ultimately lost.

But while that was bad enough and left a nasty taste, the animosity would be cranked up a notch three years later.

Dislike became full-blown hatred in the wake of Rangers self- imploding and tumbling into liquidation.

And as United prepare for their first league trip to Ibrox in nine years, that ill-feeling is still very much alive and kicking.

When Rangers were on their knees, it was United who kicked them hardest.

Thompson seemed to take a strange satisfaction in their demise, ignoring pleas for help and instead putting the boot in.

The former United supremo was one of the leading voices pushing for Rangers not to be admitted to the top flight before they ended up in the Third Division.

He played to the gallery — but at what cost to his own club?

Maybe he viewed it as a chance to capitalise on Rangers’ absence.

Perhaps he believed United were good enough to finish best of the rest behind Celtic and claim a Champions League slot.

Maybe he thought they would get a bigger slice of the television money with the Ibrox men out of the equation.

Unfortunately, the viewing figures tell you interest wanes considerably unless the Old Firm are involved.

Like a lot of other club chiefs, Thompson voted against Rangers being admitted into the top flight following their financial collapse. He did it to appease the United support, when a smarter businessman would have seen the bigger picture

Michael Johnston, who was Kilmarnock chairman at the time, got a lot of stick from his own fans for voting the other way.

They criticised him for trying to help Rangers, but he did it for purely selfish financial reasons.

Two league visits per season from Rangers are worth an awful lot of money to provincial clubs.

Thompson let his ego get the better of him and then presided over a barren period, where attendances slid and United also went on the slide. He loved playing to the crowd and trying to appease punters.

He did it again in 2014, when any remote hope of patching up the feud went up in flames.

In a dispute during negotiations to buy Ibrox youngster Charlie Telfer, Thompson claimed Rangers only had “two years of history”

Yet another cheap shot.

But if he thinks that is what United fans will remember him for, then he is sadly mistaken.

He will always be known as the man who took the club into the Championship, where it would take them four years to get back out. His sacking of Jackie McNamara and Simon Donnelly — and the breaking up of a talented young team — was another spectacular own goal.

The resulting fire sale of top players and the low-grade replacements are ultimately what led to their relegation.

And this was all on his watch.

It is little wonder Rangers supporters have no time for United any more.

Yet despite their conduct, I was still delighted to see United back in the Premiership this season.

They are the seventh biggest club in the country and they don’t belong in the Championship. I’ve also been really impressed by Micky Mellon in the games I have covered for Sky Sports so far this season.

I think he was a shrewd appointment by the new people running the club.

Apart from the hammering at Kilmarnock two weeks ago, they have acquitted themselves well.

They are now slowly on the up after a decade of decline — ten years when Thompson was too busy taking pot-shots at Rangers to notice that his own club was drowning.

The pie muncher said one thing right by saying McNamara and Donnellys sacking was a spectacular own goal. They should have been sacked months before 

One thing you'll never get 'the staunch' to admit publicly is the final straw that aimed them towards liquidation was McCoist’s failure to beat United in the cup in February 2012. Earlier defeats against Malmo and Maribor in both European competitions and faltering league form meant the Cup was their last chance to win a trophy and more importantly make cash.

That defeat and HMRC’s petition lodged against not payment of VAT pushed them into administration, and later the likes of Dave King advising against accepting a CVA led to their demise.

Nothing to do with Stephen Thompson, but don’t expect any Rangers minded simpleton to comprehend.