Title Races

ahemps

Are we destined to see PSG, Juve, Bayern, Barca or Real, Ajax etc. all win their leagues again.

Ajax were pushed close and we may have seen AZ pip them, Bayern were in a close league until after lockdown then they won every game to make it straight forward and Juve were pushed by Inter but again after lockdown there was a brief challenge from Lazio then Atalanta but in the end all the big sides still won their leagues. All the usuals, Shaktar, Red Star Belgrade, Porto, Dinamo Zagreb, Celtic, Zenit all cleaned up too.

Turkey saw a new winner and only one of the usual big 3 (Besiktas) made the top 5 in that league which is refreshing even if it was controversially Erdogan's team.

Where will there be a genuine title race anywhere in Europe and can any of the usual suspects be toppled?

Haaland is the real deal. If Dortmund don't compete for the title before his, inevitable, eventual move, then when? Juventus look beatable and Barcelona are in crisis. Though, for them, crisis probably still means second place behind Real.

A smaller scale, but only noticed the other day that TNS failed to win the Welsh League for the first time since 2011. Connah's Quay Nomads won it.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Haaland is the real deal. If Dortmund don't compete for the title before his, inevitable, eventual move, then when? Juventus look beatable and Barcelona are in crisis. Though, for them, crisis probably still means second place behind Real.

A smaller scale, but only noticed the other day that TNS failed to win the Welsh League for the first time since 2011. Connah's Quay Nomads won it.

Beat Kilmarnock but couldn't get past Sarajevo.

PSG and Bayern seem likes NAPs, tbh. PSG are miles ahead, while Bayern are probably the best squad on the planet, Dortmund won't keep up. Ajax and Real/Barca will skoosh it too.

Juve look like building a shite squad, Suarez apparently taking Dybalas place, which is mental, and Ronaldo struggling for non-penalty goals in Serie A. Inter probably the best bet to topple them.

On 08/09/2020 at 18:08, Bully Wee Villa said:

For me, Dortmund's big problem is the manager.

Of the teams currently on winning runs, Juventus are the most vulnerable.  Inter;s second season under Conte and their recruitment will mean they will make a proper push for the title.

Barcelona are in crisis, Real (or even Atleti) will win La Liga

Despite a blip, PSG have too much money to lose the title.  Even if they drop more points than they have in the past, the likes of OM, Lille, or Lyon don't have the resources to mount a concerted effort

Bayern are the best team we have seen assembled since the Barcelona team of 7 or 8 years ago.  Dortmund may be able to keep it close for a while but over a full season they will drop too many points.  

Ajax aren't exactly dominating Dutch football in recent seasons, PSV have won more titles in the last 6 years.  Ajax were level on points with AZ when the league was stopped and only just pipped PSV the year before and with the loss of more of their top young players I can easily see PSV or AZ take that one

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Erdoğan's team is Kasimpasa.

I thought he had influence over Basaksehir somehow. On podcasts I listen to about European football they said he had some sort of link to them????  I was going with that information as I didn't know personally. Fair enough.

I was hoping Trabzonspor could have won it last year due to the suspicions around Basaksehir. I still preferred it not being one of the big 3 either way.

I thought he had influence over Basaksehir somehow. On podcasts I listen to about European football they said he had some sort of link to them????  I was going with that information as I didn't know personally. Fair enough.
I was hoping Trabzonspor could have won it last year due to the suspicions around Basaksehir. I still preferred it not being one of the big 3 either way.
Trabzonspor are at it too, that's why they're banned from Europe. They're also arguably as big as Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray, although not as successful. Bursaspor are probably the next biggest and their stadium is a crocodile but they've been a bit of a mess the last few years and have a politically questionable fanbase.

Erdoğan was in Kasimpasa's youth system and the stadium is named after him. He occasionally turns up to the dressing room pre-match.
He undoubtedly has interest and influence on Basaksehir, but it's more due to political alliances and there are a good few folk with more power there than him. I know people who refuse to use Istanbul Council car parks as that's (allegedly) a major source of Basaksehir funding.

In short, Kasimpasa is his childhood love, Basaksehir is the mistress he gives a good pumping to every now and again.

33 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Trabzonspor are at it too, that's why they're banned from Europe. They're also arguably as big as Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray, although not as successful. Bursaspor are probably the next biggest and their stadium is a crocodile but they've been a bit of a mess the last few years and have a politically questionable fanbase.

Erdoğan was in Kasimpasa's youth system and the stadium is named after him. He occasionally turns up to the dressing room pre-match.
He undoubtedly has interest and influence on Basaksehir, but it's more due to political alliances and there are a good few folk with more power there than him. I know people who refuse to use Istanbul Council car parks as that's (allegedly) a major source of Basaksehir funding.

In short, Kasimpasa is his childhood love, Basaksehir is the mistress he gives a good pumping to every now and again.

Turkish football sounds interesting :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has the Covid crisis unintentionally gave us some more genuine title races this year?

Juve are in real danger of losing their dominant grip and although I believe PSG and Bayern will prevail it is at least interesting at this point. Atleti are in a good place in Spain and even in Portugal Sporting are giving it a real go. 3pts separate the top 4 in Holland and even the recent dominance of Liverpool and City is being challenged.

Although none of these are Leicester City fairy tale title runs AC, Sporting and Atleti were all big odds against to win their leagues at the start of the season.

Surprise title winners have became a rare event in most European leagues in the last 10-20yrs so to see possibly 2-3 in one season is refreshing, hopefully it is not a blip and is the beginning of a trend to more competitive leagues.

Guest TheJTS98
22 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Has the Covid crisis unintentionally gave us some more genuine title races this year?

Juve are in real danger of losing their dominant grip and although I believe PSG and Bayern will prevail it is at least interesting at this point. Atleti are in a good place in Spain and even in Portugal Sporting are giving it a real go. 3pts separate the top 4 in Holland and even the recent dominance of Liverpool and City is being challenged.

Although none of these are Leicester City fairy tale title runs AC, Sporting and Atleti were all big odds against to win their leagues at the start of the season.

Surprise title winners have became a rare event in most European leagues in the last 10-20yrs so to see possibly 2-3 in one season is refreshing, hopefully it is not a blip and is the beginning of a trend to more competitive leagues.

It's certainly one to enjoy. I've got back in to watching more of the bigger leagues this year because it's simply more interesting than normal.

Roma - Inter the other night was great and for the first time in years we've got loads of games across the continent that are actually worth watching because they matter rather than just being historical prestige games.

It's almost certainly a covid blip, but might as well enjoy it. Especially since Scotland seems the odd man out.

53 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's certainly one to enjoy. I've got back in to watching more of the bigger leagues this year because it's simply more interesting than normal.

Roma - Inter the other night was great and for the first time in years we've got loads of games across the continent that are actually worth watching because they matter rather than just being historical prestige games.

It's almost certainly a covid blip, but might as well enjoy it. Especially since Scotland seems the odd man out.

Scotland hasn't had a title race in thirty years and likely never will again.  I don't count the bigot brothers competing over who can put the most goals past Ross County.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't really see how covid has much to do with it at all.

I think due to the volume of games, the seasons started later than normal which has meant less times between games as most midweeks all have games. This will have helped the likes of Lyon (top in France) as they are not in Europe so are not stretching their squad as much. It has also meant the smaller teams not in Europe have had more times between games which has led to the bigger sides PSG, Bayern etc. dropping more points than usual which has closed the gap, do Liverpool lose 7-2 to Villa if they are not playing 3 games every single week? Last season PSG won all but 5 games out of 38, this year after 19 games they have already not won 7. Liverpool didn't win 6, already they haven't won 8.

Was there any big transfers last summer? I don't think there was too many as I think most clubs were cautious due to the current crisis. Most summers some of the teams just below the super elite the likes of Atleti, Dortmund, Leicester lose 1 or 2 of their better players to the PSG's and Bayerns which keeps them out of striking distance but as that didn't happen that has also closed the gap. 

I think the hectic nature caused by covid is influencing the football season, do you not agree? 

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I think due to the volume of games, the seasons started later than normal which has meant less times between games as most midweeks all have games. This will have helped the likes of Lyon (top in France) as they are not in Europe so are not stretching their squad as much. It has also meant the smaller teams not in Europe have had more times between games which has led to the bigger sides PSG, Bayern etc. dropping more points than usual which has closed the gap, do Liverpool lose 7-2 to Villa if they are not playing 3 games every single week? Last season PSG won all but 5 games out of 38, this year after 19 games they have already not won 7. Liverpool didn't win 6, already they haven't won 8.

Was there any big transfers last summer? I don't think there was too many as I think most clubs were cautious due to the current crisis. Most summers some of the teams just below the super elite the likes of Atleti, Dortmund, Leicester lose 1 or 2 of their better players to the PSG's and Bayerns which keeps them out of striking distance but as that didn't happen that has also closed the gap. 

I think the hectic nature caused by covid is influencing the football season, do you not agree? 

I can only really speak for Serie A, as I have close to zero knowledge of the English, German, French or Spanish leagues.

Juventus have been impacted exactly the same as any of the top clubs in Serie A. The transfer market has been affected of course but that also hampers clubs like Atalanta from cashing in on some of the 50+ players they have away on loan in order to strengthen their first team. Some squads were more covid-proof than others but that's more down to factors like age and lengths of contracts than total squad value.

In Serie A the six clubs in European places are the exact same six clubs which qualified for Europe last season, so I don't really see any evidence that they've been adversely troubled.

Of course covid has influenced the season but I'm not sure its effect on clubs is as disproportionate as you claim.  In Italy, the simple answer is that Pirlo is not as good a manager as Allegri or Sarri and Milan have finally got their team performing at a level relative to their spend. Inter are treading water. I really don't think covid's had much to do with it.