Football Podcasts

Tartan Dave

Anyone able to offer me a replacement to the football ramble? Used to be a go too but not enjoying it these days. I currently listen to spanish football podcast, Terrace, totally, guardian. Mostly on and off as can’t get through them all but could do with one which is decent craic as the others are quite serious

I still listen to The Football Ramble, but it has definitely lost some of its charm recently. It's not that any of the new contributors are necessarily bad, and I understand why they wanted to freshen things up and attract new listeners, but the chemistry between Marcus, Jim, Luke and Pete was my main reason for listening to it for years. 

17 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anyone able to offer me a replacement to the football ramble? Used to be a go too but not enjoying it these days. I currently listen to spanish football podcast, Terrace, totally, guardian. Mostly on and off as can’t get through them all but could do with one which is decent craic as the others are quite serious

I'm exactly the same. I still download the ramble but if I don't get round to listening to it I'm not too bothered.

The price of football is interesting and the guys have a bit of fun with it.

Trampled bet is quite good if you like a bet and they do a section on Scots abroad that is interesting.

The football writers podcast is quite serious but I like how they reflect on the social and political influence of football.

I’ve also lost interest in the main ones mentioned. Football cliches is my favourite one at the moment, pretty amusing. I think that’s the only one I really listen to about modern football. Vincera about Italia 90 was class and Nessum dorma although irregular is the only podcast I’ve chipped in a few quid for.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:39, DrewDon said:

I still listen to The Football Ramble, but it has definitely lost some of its charm recently. It's not that any of the new contributors are necessarily bad, and I understand why they wanted to freshen things up and attract new listeners, but the chemistry between Marcus, Jim, Luke and Pete was my main reason for listening to it for years. 

i stopped lokking for it about a month ago so perhaps its back on but does anyone know if "on the continent" is now finished with?it was weird,they did shows all through the first 3 months of covid then as soon as the euro leagues started back up they stopped,perhaps they thought everyone would be so overcome with excitement at the return of the EPL that we wouldnt be interested in anything else

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

i stopped lokking for it about a month ago so perhaps its back on but does anyone know if "on the continent" is now finished with?it was weird,they did shows all through the first 3 months of covid then as soon as the euro leagues started back up they stopped,perhaps they thought everyone would be so overcome with excitement at the return of the EPL that we wouldnt be interested in anything else

I think when Andy Brassel is on they cover Europe a bit more but it doesn't seem to be a dedicated show anymore. 

6 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

Seeing this got me looking for it. On iTunes it has become it has split of from the main Football Ramble feed again, and is under Football Ramble Presents feed.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest TheJTS98

With the new season (proper) almost upon us, I've been considering my podcast options.

Over the last while I've generally bounced between Football Weekly and the Totally Show, although completely gave up on the Totally Scottish Football Show as it was just amateurish pish.

Totally has descended into dross with the increasing presence of the likes of Charlie Eccleshare, Carl Anka, Daniel Storey, and Natalie Gedra. I don't think the Athletic takeover has been good for it at all.

Even worse, Football Weekly now often features the unlistenable Jordan Jarret-Bryan, and too often the extremely annoying Barney Ronay, who just comes across as rather unpleasant.

It'll be interesting to see how the podcast struggle settles, as both of these established beasts of the market are quite clearly going backwards in terms of quality, but nothing has really emerged yet to challenge them. Scottish football obviously still lacks any kind of audio output of any real quality too.

I've decided I'm going to go club-specific this season. I've given a go to various Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic, podcasts in the last while, and find it to be quite interesting to get a mix of prejudices and biases.

Open to your club-specific recommendations.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 hour ago, RaymondVargas said:

Sorry for my off topic here. I have a website based on sports. I need to update my website on a regular basis. I need someone who can help me writing content. Basically, I am ready to  pay someone to write my research paper. I didn't use other sources yet but Study Clerk link removed looks decent and reliable. What do you think?

I'll write your research paper but I need the money upfront. Incidentally, what's the topic?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

With the new season (proper) almost upon us, I've been considering my podcast options.
Over the last while I've generally bounced between Football Weekly and the Totally Show, although completely gave up on the Totally Scottish Football Show as it was just amateurish pish.
Totally has descended into dross with the increasing presence of the likes of Charlie Eccleshare, Carl Anka, Daniel Storey, and Natalie Gedra. I don't think the Athletic takeover has been good for it at all.
Even worse, Football Weekly now often features the unlistenable Jordan Jarret-Bryan, and too often the extremely annoying Barney Ronay, who just comes across as rather unpleasant.
It'll be interesting to see how the podcast struggle settles, as both of these established beasts of the market are quite clearly going backwards in terms of quality, but nothing has really emerged yet to challenge them. Scottish football obviously still lacks any kind of audio output of any real quality too.
I've decided I'm going to go club-specific this season. I've given a go to various Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic, podcasts in the last while, and find it to be quite interesting to get a mix of prejudices and biases.
Open to your club-specific recommendations.
Glad it's not just me. Tend to only listen to the Euro version of Totally now, unless the line up has decent contributers (usually the guys who were on it before the Athletic take over). Carl Anka in particular I can't listen to. They need to get making more Golazzo, as that is still the best podcast out there but is sadly far too irregular.

The Guardian is usually still decent and I'll make a point of listening if Phillipe Auclair, Lars Sivertsen and/or Johnathan Wilson are on. It's never as good when Barry isn't on it and some of the other contributers are pretty bland or annoying.

Guest TheJTS98
10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Glad it's not just me. Tend to only listen to the Euro version of Totally now, unless the line up has decent contributers (usually the guys who were on it before the Athletic take over). Carl Anka in particular I can't listen to. They need to get making more Golazzo, as that is still the best podcast out there but is sadly far too irregular.

The Guardian is usually still decent and I'll make a point of listening if Phillipe Auclair, Lars Sivertsen and/or Johnathan Wilson are on. It's never as good when Barry isn't on it and some of the other contributers are pretty bland or annoying.

Agree about Golazzo. It also occupied a more interesting place in the market. How many podcasts per week do we need discussing whether OGS is actually any good or whether there's any point to Everton existing?

The Totally/FW split is starting to look increasingly pointless from a market point of view. Totally was initially an interesting idea and, for the first season, a pretty good product.

It made sense to have a main show that was basically FW but with slightly more expert expert panelists, and have a dedicated Football League show (the first season of which I really loved), and have a dedicated Scottish show, and a women's fitba show. The problem is that they've heavily diluted their pool, to the point that FW is just a better listen now. Mince like Eccleshare and Anka can't have been what anyone had in mind in the early days.

And the Scottish show is fucking awful. I wonder if it has legs left in it, since I don't know anyone who actually listens to it anymore. Even the Football League Show has now got a bit dull with poorer contributors and less interesting features.

Basically, they've fucked it and you can get by with just FW. Seems to have made McIntosh a few quid, mind you, and fair play to him for that.

Also agree about the Guardian contributors you mention. Glendenning is one I've turned around on a bit. He brings a different kind of perspective to the show, and is usually an enjoyable listen. Wilson and Auclair are tremendous. Wilson is always on the Blizzard podcast, which these days seems to be exclusively the Greatest Games series. It's really very good.

The BBC are really close to the money with The World Football Phone In. Tim Vickery is excellent and when he and Mark Gleeson are on together it is absolutely tremendous. The problem is the fucking callers.

Edited by TheJTS98

The three FW guys you've mentioned (not Barry*) are definitely the best. There's a big enough middle ground of blandness to avoid it becoming unlistenable, but not enough good contributors to keep me hooked.

*he's pretty good as a personality but doesn't give much insight into anything.

Tifo and Zonal Marking will probably be my main podcasts for English football, only dipping into Totally and FW if the panel is worth it or something big happens off the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I was one of the few that stuck with the Totally Scottish football show. In all honesty I probably only did because of JJ Bull being in it. No surprise I suppose that they got rid it this season.

I used to listen to Football Weekly then the Totally show when it started but hadn't done so for a while until the Euros and to be honest I think both shows have gone downhill quite a bit. I still listen to the football ramble but even it feels a little diluted now it's gone daily with a rotating cast. Their European football show On the Continent used to be excellent when guys like James Horncastle, Nicky Bandini and others were regulars but since  a lot of them left to focus on other podcasts it hasn't been the same.

• 2 months later...