Texans @ Chiefs - Opening Night

lichtie23

Shame the opening game wasn't much of a contest. I feel like the Texans lost it in the first quarter. Chiefs go for a 4th and inches in their own thirty and get it, then score. Texans get a (more difficult  admittedly) 4th down chance on the halfway line and kick it away. You have to be more aggressive against the very best teams. That seemed to me sending a message that they didn't think they could win.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

No sir. Though I'm from KC and lived within two hours of there most of my life, I now live in Texas. Apparently, I'm roughly 15 minutes from the offices of the owner of Dundee FC.

Ah, does that mean you're going to pick them as your Scottish team? 

Found we were fairly insipid, definitely missing Nuk but that's not the only thing. I look forward to some better play calling after B'OB gets the chop at 1-6.

Positives

Our D looked much better this year. Yeah, they got rolled by the Chiefs but who wouldn't?

No false starts for Tunsil in the entire game! Well, one, but it was on the wrong player. Wasn't actually him.

David Johnson looked good. Nothing to get too excited about yet, but certainly didn't look like the bust potential he could have been.

JJ didn't break yet.

Negatives

Utliziation of our WR's - we seemed very flat. Fuller's hands seemed better than normal but he was running a lot of shallow routes, and even to be in the slot a good chunk of the time. He did a decent enough job once he settled in, but he's supposed to be the guy taking the top off. I don't really recall any decent deepball efforts/threats - which considering that's where we did significant damage at times last year, seems baffling.

The play calling - pretty much every aspect of it. From the beige game-plan and calls, to the punting on a short 4th down in the middle of the field when you know the Chiefs will roll over you no matter what. It almost felt like we'd written the game off and were using it for pre-season.

I genuinely fear that the two jags games aside, we're going to lose our other opening 10 games - @Chiefs, Ravens, @Steelers, Vikings, Jags, @Titans, Packers, @Jags, @Browns, Patriots.

Tell me where those wins will come? I hope, with all hope, that the scheduling gods have put paid to Bill O'Brien once and for all.

Edited by Spain