Merge the English & Scottish League Cups

algy

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I wonder if Covid will turn minds against the needless and interminable Champions League parade as a bunch of elite club players with squad numbers in the sixties swat aside BATE or Rosenborg year after year.

I think the way we are probably going to go, is the likes of BATE and Rosenborg will be gently eased out of the competition, to be replaced by more English, Spanish and German clubs.

3 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Isn't it amazing that, every time big clubs complain of fixture congestion, the teams that end up losing revenue from scrapped matches are the smaller teams?

I do agree with that statement but I also agree there is too much football. There is almost no break from football in the calendar and while I love football being on all the time it is probably too much.

3 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I wonder if Covid will turn minds against the needless and interminable Champions League parade as a bunch of elite club players with squad numbers in the sixties swat aside BATE or Rosenborg year after year.

I would also like this to be the case and clubs to have more limits on them in terms of squad size but sadly I only see the gap getting bigger as every time there is any sort of rule or structure change it tends to be what the bigger/elite sides want.

23 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Isn't it amazing that, every time big clubs complain of fixture congestion, the teams that end up losing revenue from scrapped matches are the smaller teams?

I wonder if Covid will turn minds against the needless and interminable Champions League parade as a bunch of elite club players with squad numbers in the sixties swat aside BATE or Celtic year after year.

That's this posting sorted.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Can't remember things being as bad in the good old days, so the main cause must be the fixtures being switched around for the TV stations - but they call the tune due to the money involved. Take Sky Sports away and you have very little TV coverage and much less money. Sounds good ! ! Is the challenge to save or make even more money ?

Keep the Scottish league cup as it is because winning draws are a great innovation.

On 05/09/2020 at 20:22, peternapper said:

Sounds like the perfect outlet for the Colt teams, stick them in that & leave the rest of us to get on with it.

Even better - send the colt firm to play in a British league with England's equivalent, thereby enabling the OF dreams of playing in England and of having their colt teams develop players at a higher level (and leaving the Scottish league free of B teams).

• 5 months later...

There would be no merit in the proposal for the English teams. 

The following would apply to teams from England

Those in the Premiership at the middle to lower end only care about the league so would play fringe players

Those in the Championship and below only care about trying to get to the Premiership so do the same as above

The top teams are only interested in Europe so would play fringe players . 

The Elite are trying to get rid of their league cup for more European game so are hardly likely to be interested in adding in 42 Scottish teams when most of their fans can only name 2 of the 42.

From a Scottish point of view our teams would all be out with the exception of the trade mark duo and thus the joy of a cup final or semi final and a big day out when fans return would be lost to at least two non old firm teams come the semi final.

Plus the misery of getting knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday reserves on a Tuesday would just not make it worth it.

The Scottish league cup as it stands it great.

• 1 year later...

I would support merging the English League Cup, Scottish League Cup and Welsh League Cup. It could be called the Great Britain Super Cup.

I would make it a group stage trophy with the EPL sides in Europe getting automatic entry In the knockout stages. 

It would be transformational for the Welsh sides and would help Scottish football while doing no harm to English football.  

• 4 months later...

I would welcome such a tournament. I know people will say it adds weight to Britain having one national team, but that was never in question when we had the Anglo-Scottish Cup and Texaco Cup, which were held for teams who just missed out on qualification for Europe. My team Morton regularly appeared against the likes of Wolves and West Brom at a packed Cappielow. It was a great diversion from the weekly grind of league football and I’d be happy to see it given another try in the suggested format.

• 11 months later...

Yes you use it as springboard for future British League. Gauge the interest from media, Sponsors and Fans. 

Example take English Championship and Scottish Championship downwards.  Adding the English Premier League would be unfair as their Counterparts cannot compete now.