Scotland 2.0

Posted this in the other thread:

If we were building our squad out of domestic based players outside of the current Scotland squad and also the youth team squads, and also excluding guys that have retired from internationals (ie Allan McGregor) I'd go for:

GK: Gordon, Bain, Fulton

DF: Considine, Hanlon, Broadfoot, Findlay, Kerr, McGinn, Whittaker

MF: Turnbull, McGeouch, Polworth, Davidson, Pittman, Burke, Murphy

FW: Griffiths, Brophy, Watt, Stewart, Naismith

Some of the guys are there because of their experience of playing for Scotland rather than necessarily because they're the best. For example, we're really struggling in the full-back positions anyway, so why not have Whittaker and his 30 odd caps as a back-up even if his legs are gone. I think you could pick a team out of that that would beat some of the dross of Europe, but they would definitely struggle against anyone even half decent.

44 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Ferguson and McCrorie ceratinly wouldn't be as anonymous as Jack and McGregor.

On the extremely rare occurrence when I watch Sportscene I like the look of Ferguson as a player. So i’d like to see him getting a shot.

Posted this in the other thread:
and also excluding guys that have retired from internationals (ie Allan McGregor) I'd go for:

All ifs and buts obviously, you’d like to think if Scotland were in the position CZ find themselves in that the likes of McArthur, Snodgrass, A.McGregor etc. Would make themselves available for selection.

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

All ifs and buts obviously, you’d like to think if Scotland were in the position CZ find themselves in that the likes of McArthur, Snodgrass, A.McGregor etc. Would make themselves available for selection.

You would hope so, but McGregor spat the dummy in the first place so I wouldn't be so sure.

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Any obvious choices for Manager 2.0?

despite what sevco supporters will tell you, mcinnes has done a fine job at aberdeen for years now and should be given the job in the event of a balls up in the playoffs. 

Whether he takes it or not is another matter. 

Edited by greenockraver

Maybe after treating foreign managers like they already had infectious diseases for the past few years, they'd do what people least expect and hire Lars Lagerback in during a global pandemic.  Put him on one of those Segway iPads on the touchline.

Discussions about a Scotland manager are always heavily hampered by the question of whether they'd be in any way interested in managing us. Other than appointing a mediocre Scot and hoping they somehow come good, you've got the option of a fading star looking for a last payday before retirement - the Trapattoni tactic - or taking a chance on a younger man who's shown promise at a minor level...possibly the Cathro* conundrum.

Part of our problem is that there doesn't seem to be much interest from genuine, top-level coaches looking to wind down. Presumably they're all able to make much better money in Asia or the Gulf States these days, and (you'd imagine) enjoy a better standard of living too. So we'd probably be better going down the route of a younger man and giving them a minimum agreed time to adjust to the role and make their improvements, hopefully being allowed to help shape the way young players are produced in Scotland too. But I think we can agree, it's very unlikely that the press and fans would sit back and accept a couple of years of possibly even poorer results with only the possibility of better times down the road.

So, we're fucked. It's going to take luck. Might as well roll a dice and ask one of the SPFL managers at random if Steve Clarke wasn't available.

*please note that I'm not saying that Ian Cathro should be considered for the Scotland job. But a few years ago there'd have been some support for him as a radical, long-term change.

McCrorie McGilvary Clarke

Grimmer Hickey Rose M Wallace Caulker Hyam Forsyth Todd Douglas

J Paterson Bannan Guald Fleck Cairney McCrorie Morgan Snodgras

Nesbett Phillips May Watt

Gunn

Fredericks

Target

Mawson

Caulker

Bryan

Mowatt

McEachran