Help me remember a game

invergowrie arab

It was in the same qualifying campaign in which we beat France home and away, and would have seen us qualify as group runners-up had we won that game. We wore our dark red strip.

In the last game of the campaign we lost to Italy via a last-minute goal. Had we drawn that game we'd have been on the same points as France. I could be wrong but I think we'd have qualified on head-to-head due to our wins against France as I think H2H was used before goal difference. Happy to be corrected on that though.

October 17th, 2007. 

Georgia away, and their manager - Klaus Toppmoller - gave us a load of chat about how he'd be playing the youngsters and for some reason we switched off thinking he was either joking or said youngsters would be rotten. Sure enough, he played a bunch of kids, had boys out wearing squad numbers in the 70's and 80's, and their keeper had two saves to make all night going by my notes on Fitba North. 

That campaign had been one big laugh riot yet we ended up having to beat Italy at home to qualify. We didn't, and we didn't. Saying that, we fluked the home win against their big boy team at Hampden with a last minute winner. 

And yeah, the kit was never seen again. 

21 hours ago, Gaz said:

It was in the same qualifying campaign in which we beat France home and away, and would have seen us qualify as group runners-up had we won that game. We wore our dark red strip.

In the last game of the campaign we lost to Italy via a last-minute goal. Had we drawn that game we'd have been on the same points as France. I could be wrong but I think we'd have qualified on head-to-head due to our wins against France as I think H2H was used before goal difference. Happy to be corrected on that though.

France finished the group two points ahead of us so a draw wouldn't have helped.

20 minutes ago, Myles Offside said:

France finished the group two points ahead of us so a draw wouldn't have helped.

Cheers, must have gotten mixed up somewhere along the line.

That campaign was a right laugh only for us to absolutely Scotland the f**k out of it.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Cheers, must have gotten mixed up somewhere along the line.

That campaign was a right laugh only for us to absolutely Scotland the f**k out of it.

If we drew and France lost to Ukraine on the following Wednesday we would've qualified is how I remember it. They drew 2-2.

The final game v Italy is seared in my mind for a couple of reasons.

It was the last time I went to Hampden and it felt genuinely "big time" - like the 70s almost. I think it knocked the stuffing out of me as a Scotland fan. I  still go though, like a dafty.

It rained constantly. I got so wet that I developed a nasty flu-type thing and was floored for a week.

Back on topic, did we miss an absolute sitter v Georgia? 

And there was the usual complaining about the SFA's negotiating for   the fixtures which resulted in the game being played in searing heat. 

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

17 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

It was the last time I went to Hampden and it felt genuinely "big time" - like the 70s almost. I think it knocked the stuffing out of me as a Scotland fan. I  still go though, like a dafty.

It rained constantly. I got so wet that I developed a nasty flu-type thing and was floored for a week.

And there was the usual complaining about the SFA's negotiating for   the fixtures which resulted in the game being played in searing heat. 

As I remember it, we had a decent penalty claim turned down by the German referee. The Georgia manager was also German. Not that I'm being cynical....

17 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Was that not the defeat in Macedonia in the first game of the next qualifying campaign? IIRC, their stadium was being refurbished and at the time of the game there were no floodlights, so instead of playing at 8pm when they'd normally play home games in September, we played in the afternoon in near-40 degree temperatures. I'm sure they scored a free kick in the first minute then held on for the rest of the game to win 1-0.

Their next game later the same week was at home to the Dutch, who paid for temporary floodlights to be installed so the game could be played at night. The SFA were roundly criticised for not doing the same thing.

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Was that not the defeat in Macedonia in the first game of the next qualifying campaign? IIRC, their stadium was being refurbished and at the time of the game there were no floodlights, so instead of playing at 8pm when they'd normally play home games in September, we played in the afternoon in near-40 degree temperatures. I'm sure they scored a free kick in the first minute then held on for the rest of the game to win 1-0.

Their next game later the same week was at home to the Dutch, who paid for temporary floodlights to be installed so the game could be played at night. The SFA were roundly criticised for not doing the same thing.

You're probably right, after a while all these disappointments/f**k ups just merge into one for me.

Thanks for the clarification though 👍