The WSC Championship season preview 20-21

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Steve Clarke hates St Johnstone, probably. 

Where have i mentioned St Johnstone at all?

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Have you sent a cringeworthy memo to Steve Clarke telling him who to pick in his squad, following the roaring success of your 'here's who I found from my ten minutes on Wyscout!*' dossier to Saint Johnstone the other week?

How do you know nothing came from that email? I've been speaking to a professional scout about the process and how to try and enter that profession, fwiw, and trying to get an "in" at a club was his first suggestion.

I understand why someone with no front teeth would believe that spending £20 a month on something is massively expensive though. 

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pretty much all of that.

Worst moment came in 2019 though, in the form of Queens Park in the Cup.

Best moment of the season was the vote to end it.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

How do you know nothing came from that email? I've been speaking to a professional scout about the process and how to try and enter that profession, fwiw, and trying to get an "in" at a club was his first suggestion.

I understand why someone with no front teeth would believe that spending £20 a month on something is massively expensive though. 

I know that nothing came of it because you're a tragic loser whose correspondence any self-respecting football club would file in the bin where it belongs.

You should stop 'trying to get an in' on scouting as your analysis is consistently moronic btw.

1. How will you do this season?

We've retained the core of last season's squad with the additions of Jamie MacDonald, Reghan Tumilty and Gozie Ugwu, with two complete unknowns in Frankie Musonda and Manny Duku. I'd hope we'll end up mid-table but it's difficult to say. Last season we played some excellent football, and once we had a proper squad we put in some good performances against teams who were in leagues above us. A lot of our standout players like Hendry, MacDonald and Spencer are untested at this level and we've lost a lot of experience in Baird and McLean. With that said, no club in the last few seasons except Brechin has gone right back down. 

2. Best moment of last season?

Probably the 2-2 draw at Starks against Falkirk. We looked dead and buried after the first half without ever doing too much, but a returning Dan Armstrong put in an inspired performance and a brilliant freekick to level it. That game ramped up the pressure on McKinnon and shortly after he was gone. Aside from that, for many fans it was the diddy cup semi-final away to Partick. I didn't make the game, but the videos showed a real unity and atmosphere among the fans with the players putting in a brilliant performance. 

The other draw at Stark's against Falkirk deserves a mention too. At this point, COVID was becoming more and more of a problem. The players were fired up and McGlynn had hammered home to the players that it there was a possibility the season might not be able to continue so we had to match the result. We put in an excellent performance for about 60 minutes, taking a 1-0 lead, before we lost Robbie Thomson to injury. It was a tense finish but it felt like a major hurdle cleared.

3. Worst moment of last season?

Beating Forfar away 2-1 but losing Lewis Vaughan in the process. Out with an ACL injury, returns, scores a goal of the season against Peterhead, equalises then does his other ACL for a second time. 

4. Who did you like and dislike last season?

Kieran MacDonald came in and Airdrie fans were stating they couldn't believe we paid a fee. We ended up getting an attacking left back who chipped in with plenty of goals and assists. 

As for disliking players, Tony Dingwall never really offered much and I don't think many people were concerned to see him leave in the summer. Seems a good lad but injuries seem to have really hampered him. 

5. Which current player at your club should have part of the ground named after them

The Ross Matthews Bar

Spoiler

Scottish football star admits to "stirring the pot" with rivals in  hilarious clip after his team were awarded league title - Deadline News

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1. How will you do this season?

Difficult to tell at this stage.  Its always a step up between the leagues, but I'd like to think we will be comfortable enough.  Will depend keeping Hendry and Vaughan fit, most likely.  Easier said than done, but typically teams have come up to this league in recent years and done alright.  Would like a better view of what we are up against, but I'm happy enough with how the squad looks.  6th/7th with a decent cup run would do me.  Big season for Vaughan.  He hasn't had a consistent season at Championship level yet, and that's before you look at the horrific injury record.  Love the guy, but you do feel that he has to produce it this season.  

We got the benefit of letting Mcglynn build a team rather than dealing with the dross Smith left and having to scramble around the loan market for guff - so I'm hoping we see that trend continue. 

2. Best moment of last season?

We were constantly good enough without really being spectacular.  The 4-0 win over Peterhead was a dominant a performance as I've seen from a Rovers team in years.  But I'm going to go for the 2 back to back games where we beat Montrose and Airdrie 1-0 in November/December.  Not in any way exciting or spectacular, but 2 really hard fought wins against 2 of the form teams in the league at that time.  I always thought we were going to win the league after that, as we finally found a way to win ugly and grind results out - as opposed to the pea hearted displays of the season previous.  Those wins took us top, at a time when we were being decimated by injuries and suspensions, and we didn't give top spot up from then on.  

3. Worst moment of last season?

Losing 4-2 at East Fife, shouting at Mcglynn to "sign a fucking centre half", then him looking round as if he was going to chin me.  To be fair, he did just that in the days that followed so I'm taking the credit for it.  

Special mention to losing Lewis Vaughan after having him available for a total of 1.5 league games.  Such a shame, as in my opinion any doubt over who would have won League 1 wouldn't have been there if he had been fit. 

4. Who did you like and dislike last season?

Kieran Macdonald was my player of the season and was consistent throughout, a great find.  Got to love Regan Hendry though.  Fantastic footballer, loves the Rovers, knocked back Falkirk to sign for us, and spent the season winding everyone else up.  The reaction he got from the speccy East Fife assistant was worth the admission money alone.  

Whilst Kieron Bowie got a lot of attention and credit last season, Dylan Tait is a better prospect (in my opinion) and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does this season.  For all the stick Mcglynn got when he came back from a minority, he really put his faith in the youths this time around.

Didn't really dislike anyone last season as such.  Mcglynn assembled a really good mix of personalities, and moved the fundamentally dislikeable players on. Lewis Allan in the end wasn't good enough, but the way he was treated by some leaves a sour taste.  Was disappointed in Dingwall.  He really looked the part when he first joined, but just didnt offer enough . However everyone played their part in some way (Mendy aside) and for the first season in a long time, there were no players who I was actively delighted to see on the yearly release list.  

5. Which current player at your club should have part of the ground named after them

Dave Mcgurn. 

Edited by CALDERON