I'm currently watching Armageddon.

It's a genuinely ludicrous film but also an absolutely brilliant film. An actual 10/10.

So much fucking nonsense yet so much excellence. Tremendously amusing, great soundtrack and a top cast.

So please discuss. Quotes, plot logic (or lack of!), cast and so on.

"He's got space dementia!"

Edited by DA Baracus

I'm saying it. 

It makes more sense to send up experienced drillers. The NASA folk aren't actually astronauts and haven't been in space. They know the theory but the theory can be taught, as it is to the roughnecks.

The drillers are supervised by folk who know the theory well. They have 14 days. It would take longer to teach the NASA folk drilling, including the practice drills (pun not intended), than it would to describe a theory to the roughnecks.

The drillers have years of experience of drilling across multiple terrains/environments. They know things the theory can't teach. They can deal with unexpected variables. 

The NASA folk have loads of experience of flying in Earth's atmosphere, but zero in space. They aren't actually experts. The roughnecks are. Therefore it makes more sense for NASA to send the experts, supervised by the theorists.

Edited by DA Baracus

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm saying it. 

It makes more sense to send up experienced drillers. The NASA folk aren't actually astronauts and haven't been in space. They know the theory but the theory can be taught, as it is to the roughnecks.

The drillers are supervised by folk who know the theory well. They have 14 days. It would take longer to teach the NASA folk drilling, including the practice drills (pun not intended), than it would to describe a theory to the roughnecks.

The drillers have years of experience of drilling across multiple terrains/environments. They know things the theory can't teach. They can deal with unexpected variables. 

The NASA folk have loads of experience of flying in Earth's atmosphere, but zero in space. They aren't actually experts. The roughnecks are. Therefore it makes more sense for NASA to send the experts, supervised by the theorists.

Affleck made this point to Michael Bay and was told to shut up.

The military folk, along with the president and his silly lackeys, are the biggest morons in the film.

They all want to detonate the nukes ASAP just because they lose contact for a bit. They know it will be useless and won't save the Earth. It's an exceptionally stupid decision that dooms every single person on the planet to death.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm currently watching it.

It's a genuinely ludicrous film but also an absolutely brilliant film. An actual 10/10.

So much fucking nonsense yet so much excellence. Tremendously amusing, great soundtrack and a top cast.

Y_xaXFJLEkxTA5a_CRdCpkwTCY4=.gif

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm currently watching it.

I admire your undiluted love for some late 90s garbage blockbuster film-making.

I share a similar love for Con Air and Face/Off

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I admire your undiluted love for some late 90s garbage blockbuster film-making.

I share a similar love for Con Air and Face/Off

Con Air and Face/Off are exceptional films. Add in The Rock whilst we're talking Cage.