Companies and Services To Avoid

D.A.F.C

Though I’d start a thread so people could share terrible experiences and help others avoid using them.

Give a reason why, it has to be bad so don’t chuck anyone under the bus for nothing.

Will start with a few popular choices.

Arnold Clark, see Arnold Clark Thread. No idea why they are so popular. Yeeehaaa. I’m sure there’s decent branches and people but not from my experience. Lying to your face.

Hermes delivery, just check out their trustpilot page. Phantom deliveries, stolen or lost items. Pay the extra for DPD. Avoid.

JDSports/ScottsMenswear - the stores and products are fine but they share the same warehouse. Again check trustpilot, absolute shambles. Have had maybe ten orders from them in the last five years. Three missing items and once got sent the same Real Madrid top twice. :lol:

Amazon, yes amazon. Somehow a person in China hacked my account and started ordering stuff. Took me a month of hassle to get sorted. Anyone with a saved card is open to this scam. Was shocked by it tbh. Apart from that they have been superb over the years but will never use them again.

Most large companies are a fucking nightmare to get a hold of with any kind of issue or query. Waiting in a queue for upwards of three quarters of an hour to be told you’re being transferred to another service or to phone a different number because your issue doesn’t directly relate to any of the 5 vague options they give you on the automated line.

Spark Energy were horrific to deal with in this respect, as well as ripping the arse out of me with no proper explanation, regardless of how many of their customer service advisers I spoke to.

I would never in a million years buy a car from Arnold Clark, but I’ve sold two to them and both times they were excellent to deal with. No issues whatsoever and gave me much more for my cars than We Buy Any Car. 

I’ll agree with Amazon. There was an offer of “free Prime membership for 30 days”. I signed up to get free delivery on items I was buying. I cancelled about a week before the 30 days were up. Checked my bank account and the fakers had taken £7.99 out. Got in touch with them and they refused to refund it 

With regard to Amazon, I had a very odd thing with them where I logged in and noticed that a few non-me purchases had been made by someone in England. The strange thing was that they'd used their own debit card and their address and contact details were right there. All of my details had been erased. I'm not really sure why someone would go to the bother of getting in to someone else's Amazon account, deleting their payment and delivery details, then adding their own and making a couple of minor purchases. Still think that was some kind of database corruption going on and that our accounts got mashed up somehow. On the other hand, they also charged me for Prime after I cancelled before the trial end, but they did refund me. I presume it's standard practice for them to chance their arm.

My own suggestion: for the first time, I made a purchase on AliExpress last year. A couple of weeks later, my credit card was maxed out by someone in Manchester. Never happened before, hasn't happened since, and AliExpress was the only unusual place I'd used that card in months. Might be dreadfully unfair of me, but AliExpress got the blame in my subconscious. Can't help but think my details were passed on to unscrupulous types.

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Never buy a Chiquita banana.

And not just because eating bananas is a hallmark of the deviant.

6 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

There's a football company in Dunfermline to avoid. Spends money they don't have, dodges taxes, screws creditors and pays 0p in the £

Past tense m90 but very cute all the same x

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

With regard to Amazon, I had a very odd thing with them where I logged in and noticed that a few non-me purchases had been made by someone in England. The strange thing was that they'd used their own debit card and their address and contact details were right there. All of my details had been erased. I'm not really sure why someone would go to the bother of getting in to someone else's Amazon account, deleting their payment and delivery details, then adding their own and making a couple of minor purchases. Still think that was some kind of database corruption going on and that our accounts got mashed up somehow. On the other hand, they also charged me for Prime after I cancelled before the trial end, but they did refund me. I presume it's standard practice for them to chance their arm.

My own suggestion: for the first time, I made a purchase on AliExpress last year. A couple of weeks later, my credit card was maxed out by someone in Manchester. Never happened before, hasn't happened since, and AliExpress was the only unusual place I'd used that card in months. Might be dreadfully unfair of me, but AliExpress got the blame in my subconscious. Can't help but think my details were passed on to unscrupulous types.

AliExpress is just Chinese ebay, so you're not really buying from them.

However, I pre-ordered a phone from a seller on there and had nothing but problems, so theyre clearly all shit

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

AliExpress is just Chinese ebay, so you're not really buying from them.

However, I pre-ordered a phone from a seller on there and had nothing but problems, so theyre clearly all shit

Good to see AliExpress provided the authentic eBay experience for you.

Barclaycard. I have a credit card for which I can no longer view my account details online despite being able to do so for the  past 10 years previously. I have phoned them every month for the past 4 months to sort it out. The person I speak to can see that there is a problem however it’s still not been sorted out. I can’t be arsed waiting on the phone for nearly an hour before someone can deal with me again. The card has been paid off, cut up and they can go and f**k themselves.

31 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Milky Bars are awfy good though so I'm torn.

Get the Lidl version. Much better.

29 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

There's a football company in Dunfermline to avoid. Spends money they don't have, dodges taxes, screws creditors and pays 0p in the £

Present tense?

Hotels.com - booked trip in February for weekend away on April. Was cancelled by them due to Covid. Voucher issued no refund. Tried to rebook and hotel wasn’t available so they agreed refund on June. Only got my cash back this month after approx dozen phone calls each a half hour minimum duration. Despite their website stating credit card payments would be refunded within 24 hours. Koontz of the highest order to deal with. Never again.