Jump to content
Angusfifer

Climate Change

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Imagine being so much up your own reactionary hole that Andrew Neil seems left wing. I don't know anything about this snidey wee shite but i assume he's a westboro baptist level dickhead. 

Conservative wünderkind who shot to fame by being a "proud virgin" at uni til he got married. Now he positions himself as a debating champion with a whiny voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, but when are we all going to die?  Seriously though, when are we going to feel the impact as individuals?  If it's 100+ years from now then I'm not convinced people will make significant changes to their lifestyle now.  People are selfish fuckers at the end of the day.  

 

I think the most prominent (in terms of population/impact) is Jakarta. The government has already committed to moving the capital to Kalimantan (Borneo) as the northern part of the city is sinking rapidly. With a population of 10m and an urban population of 35m, it is a significant problem and being the industrial and service capital of Indonesia a huge issue.

 

Its also not the only major city with this problem, but the most at immediate risk.

 

As someone mentioned in the thread, climate change is easy to ignore and dismiss, when you can’t see significant issues in your immediate surroundings, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest it will be a huge issue in the not too distant future.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

 


I think the most prominent (in terms of population/impact) is Jakarta. The government has already committed to moving the capital to Kalimantan (Borneo) as the northern part of the city is sinking rapidly. With a population of 10m and an urban population of 35m, it is a significant problem and being the industrial and service capital of Indonesia a huge issue.

Its also not the only major city with this problem, but the most at immediate risk.

As someone mentioned in the thread, climate change is easy to ignore and dismiss, when you can’t see signification issues in your immediate surroundings, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest it will be a huge issue in the not too distant future.
 

 

I absolutely hear you, and get it, but the problem is that until it touches the lives of those living in the parts of the world where leaders (political/business/social etc) who can make a tangible difference are, I fear it's being seen as not even tomorrow's problem but the day after tomorrow's problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I absolutely hear you, and get it, but the problem is that until it touches the lives of those living in the parts of the world where leaders (political/business/social etc) who can make a tangible difference are, I fear it's being seen as not even tomorrow's problem but the day after tomorrow's problem.  

A bit late then Film poster of a snow-covered New York City skyline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I absolutely hear you, and get it, but the problem is that until it touches the lives of those living in the parts of the world where leaders (political/business/social etc) who can make a tangible difference are, I fear it's being seen as not even tomorrow's problem but the day after tomorrow's problem.  


100% agree with that. The situation in Jakarta is actually quite alarming and it barely makes the news. The government scrapped huge plans to build a ‘Seawall City’ for circa $45bn to save the city and committed to moving the capital. Kind of suggests they know they are fighting against the tide (pun intended).

As you say the current, immediate issues are mostly (but not all) in the ‘third world’ so who gives a f**k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2020 at 23:57, bennett said:

 

 

 

 

 

When I was down in London the protestors were letting vehicles on blue light runs through what looks to be happening in his video is the police have shut the bridge by parking their vans across it.

Surely no right wing commentators is against people's right to protest? Or the right to leave their engine running stuck in traffic? I thought everything for them was pro choice, open competition and free markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just done a quick audit and can confirm that Harwood is indeed an odious c**t.

A few tweets further down he rejoices in the possibility that Scotland's R number may have overtaken that of the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 101 said:

When I was down in London the protestors were letting vehicles on blue light runs through what looks to be happening in his video is the police have shut the bridge by parking their vans across it.

Surely no right wing commentators is against people's right to protest? Or the right to leave their engine running stuck in traffic? I thought everything for them was pro choice, open competition and free markets.

The police are well known for blocking access to emergency vehicles,  I don't see what extinction rebellion hope to achieve by  pissing people off as it surely can't be helping their cause.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

A few tweets further down he rejoices in the possibility that Scotland's R number may have overtaken that of the UK. 

Let's not pretend that a large percentage of Scots wouldn't have done the same had we had experts and journalists in England asking their 'saviour' to quarantine any visitors from Scotland to protect their "good work"

You reap what you sow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Newish thing on Netflix by David Attenborough about the large scale destruction of nature just over his short lifetime.

Humans can get in the bin. Horrific.

Great documentary but aye, humans are vile scum. Exceptionally stupid and short sighted as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2020 at 02:50, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

 


100% agree with that. The situation in Jakarta is actually quite alarming and it barely makes the news. The government scrapped huge plans to build a ‘Seawall City’ for circa $45bn to save the city and committed to moving the capital. Kind of suggests they know they are fighting against the tide (pun intended).

As you say the current, immediate issues are mostly (but not all) in the ‘third world’ so who gives a f**k.
 

You'll love it in Bormeo.  I've been there.  There's 17 native species of snake.   Fortunately, only 16 of them are deadly poisonous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You'll love it in Bormeo.  I've been there.  There's 17 native species of snake.   Fortunately, only 16 of them are deadly poisonous.


Got that all pretty well covered. The island the wife is from is infested with killer wildlife from Snakes and spiders, to tigers, Komodo dragons and other fun things. I tend not to go walking too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This is nuts, the Artic is melting so their answer is to artificially freeze it so they can pump out more oil.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/19/oil-alaska-arctic-global-heating-local-cooling

This is why we were fucked. Short term greed will always win out.

We need to be dragging those responsible in to jail and tearing down their shite. Stop all fossil fuel production immediately. Obviously that won't ever happen either. 

We are locked in to a course of absolute disaster and it is now inevitable. The planet is fucked. By the time the public at large wake up to the effects, which will be when they are personally and immediately affected, it will be far beyond far too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This is why we were fucked. Short term greed will always win out.

We need to be dragging those responsible in to jail and tearing down their shite. Stop all fossil fuel production immediately. Obviously that won't ever happen either. 

We are locked in to a course of absolute disaster and it is now inevitable. The planet is fucked. By the time the public at large wake up to the effects, which will be when they are personally and immediately affected, it will be far beyond far too late.

Well, that's one news item. 

Case you hadn't noticed, the oil companies are struggling.  BP shares, for example, are at what I read as a 25 year low.    Investment monies are pouring

in to various renditions of green, ethical directions.   Try reading up on ESG, SRI for example.

If you have a smartphone, check out the app 'Grid Carbon' and see the percentages of renewable energy used on the National Grid..., from Solar, Wind,

Gas, Nuclear, Coal ( just about zero ). 

It's s the easiest thing in the world to sit back and say  "Doomed, doomed, we're all f*cked....". 

We all have choices. Make them ..... in the direction you/we want to go.

Edited by beefybake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...